Coffee Shop XXXVI-2/4/2013

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


There's two steamers up there, behind the BN and PRR FP7's. A Lima 0-4-0T and a Tyco 2-8-0. Neither are in running condition and probably never will be. They were in a box of assorted rolling stock.
 
There's two steamers up there, behind the BN and PRR FP7's. A Lima 0-4-0T and a Tyco 2-8-0. Neither are in running condition and probably never will be. They were in a box of assorted rolling stock.
so not even a glimmer of hope of gettting a steam program running on the L&A:(
 
Nope. My curves and turnouts are too tight for many steamers. Some of the older big steamers will run on them but the newer big ones won't. Even some of the newer smaller ones won't.
 


Funny how that works out. Back in the day, my buddy was given a Penn Line set for Xmas, that included a PRR 2-8-0, several cars and cabin, and came with a circle of 18" radius snap track.

My son has a recent 2-8-0 that doesn't want to stay on the track on my 24" radius reverse loop.

For that reason, my own steam fleet, remains in the box.

Joe
 
Well, it's time to call it a night. Bringing all those groceries in earlier was almost like work and putting them up in the cabinets wasn't very comfortable either. I should sleep good tonight. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3158.jpg
 
Bet it was a Rivarossi unit. Those can, and probably still do go around 18" curves easily. Their secret was two fold. Extra "slopiness" in the mechanism, and both engines could turn. On prototype locos, only the front engine could turn.
 


Good morning, America! Finished the job I was working and I'm back home for a few days. Trying to transition from a 7:00PM-7:30AM schedule to something a bit more normal. I have to be at work starting Thursday for in-processing, then will be working 7-12's on the night shift once the outage starts. I need to try to get a little more sleep before I start my day!
 
Good morning. It's 32° with 81% humidity. The high will be 48°.
condmc-1.jpg


It's going to be a cool one today. A northwest wind is coming across the lake making it feel colder than it actually is. This gives a good incentive to stay inside and work on the layout. There's still plenty more clean-up work to be done.

PIC_0070.jpg
 
Good Morning from Dullville...:rolleyes:

Wherein we can has very gray dull skies for our viewing pleasure...oh....and cold as well....:(

Last few days have been kinda hectic around here...brokenpipeville struck again, this time behind us, which lead to me having to shovel out a channel for the water to go around my house, rather than into the basement...loads of fun I tells ya...:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Anyhow...got a few HD things to attend to then it is off to my empire and play with the trains for awhile...:D

Have a good one!!:)
 
Bet it was a Rivarossi unit. Those can, and probably still do go around 18" curves easily.
Yes, it was. They looked very good on straight track, but on a curve they looked pretty strange, especially when viewed from above.
I also had a cab forward that would navigate 18" curves, with the same strange appearance.
 
I received three Digitrax DH123 decoders in the mail today, each with 9 pin to DCC medium 3 inch 8-pin harness attached. I tested them and all three checked out A-OK. I refitted two with 9 pin to wires 7 inch harnesses. One will be going into the Rock Island E-R Models FP7 that's coming next week, assuming it doesn't need an overhaul. It looks good but you know what they say about appearances. No biggie if I have to shoehorn a motor into it. Speaking of locos, I tore down two today for their initial inspection. I already knew the motors wre good so the emphasis was on the gears. Everything checked out and they're back together, tested and back on the display rack. I was going to have dinner at home tonight but my father called and asked if I wanted to go to KFC. Well, yeah! We're both seniors so we get the senior citizen rate, so why not? Besides, he was buying!

It's going to be on the cool side tonight with a low of 28°. I'll have the heater on low. Well, time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3281.jpg
 
Good Morning, America! March is coming in like a lion. More snow is forecast for Monday and Tuesday, up to six inches possible. Most of the snow this winter has come in the last two weeks. I hate winter! Luckily, our temps have been pretty mild, with only a couple of nights of near zero and so far, none below. Guess it can always be worse.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top