Coffee Shop XXV

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. It's 40° and partly cloudy but feels like 30°. The high is supposed to be 50° and it will be mostly sunny though it will feel like 40° thanks to the wind.

I got the rest of the track locked in place with the drywall compound yesterday. Now I just have to wait for it to dry then cut off the high spots. Once that's done I can paint the drywall compound to match the ballast that will be on top of it later. I got a message yesterday on another forum concerning my decoder install on my new GP38-2. What I did on that was to leave the cheap Bachmann decoder in place to operate the lights since the Digitrax decoder I was putting in had a non-functional light circuit and would be just running the motor. The sender told me that "it would never work" and "you're a total idiot for even trying" and "you can't run two decoders in one locomotive". Wonder how he/she/it thinks separate decoders for motion and sound work then. The wording and overall tone of the message indicated to me that the sender had little idea of what they were talking about and demonstrated to me just how inexperienced/uninformed they were. I can't imagine what people like that think gives them the right to push their relative lack of knowledge on others as if it's the correct and written truth. Oh well, onward and upward. My sister and I went to Pizza Hut last night for dinner then went to see the Narnia 3D movie. Of all the 3D movies I've seen the 3D effects in this one are the best I've seen and there were several times I actually ducked as objects on the screen seemed to come hurtling out into the audience. Well worth the $11 admission fee in my opinion. I still have the second lot of HO items that have to go up for viewing. It includes several flatcars and boxcars. The list can be found at this link:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The sender told me that "it would never work" and "you're a total idiot for even trying" and "you can't run two decoders in one locomotive". Wonder how he/she/it thinks separate decoders for motion and sound work then. The wording and overall tone of the message indicated to me that the sender had little idea of what they were talking about and demonstrated to me just how inexperienced/uninformed they were. I can't imagine what people like that think gives them the right to push their relative lack of knowledge on others as if it's the correct and written truth.
Can you say "troll"? I have several locomotives with more than one decoder in them. If you have the space, you could have separate decoders for every function, though it would be a waste of resources.
 
Can you say "troll"? I have several locomotives with more than one decoder in them.
You hit the nail squarely on the head. I too have several that have more than one decoder installed an dthey work just fine.


We have a 21 mph NW wind blowing here. That makes the 40° out there feel like 32°. Not surprisingly we have a fire weather warning in effect. There's also a freeze warning in effect for tonight. The expected low is 25° to 22°. Guess I better get out there and pack the water meter well with pine straw so it will be insulated from the cold.
 


Can you say "troll"? I have several locomotives with more than one decoder in them. If you have the space, you could have separate decoders for every function, though it would be a waste of resources.

Amen to that! I've got an RS3 with a sound decoder that has a failed lighting circuit. I paired that with a decoder with fried motor drives. Together, they do everything expected of them!

There is only 1 gene that separates us from the apes. Some of us got it, some don't!:D
 
Afternoon everyone,

I haven't really said much on my where about's... Well My Ex still has yet to make her mind up on the child suport/ custody with my son. So my lawer and I waiting so we can get the boat afloat! So I can't start working a second job until IRS/Child support is done digging in my Finacial Butt! With both her's and my Incomes My child support shouldn't be that much as long as my income/out going remains the same. I got a lot of good advice from the lawer and co-workers that went through what I'am!

As for me and my GF Dana....Well:p She has been good to my son(when I get him) and I. She has just gotten over a real bad flu. and is back to her self. And she is trying to get me fattened up:rolleyes::) some. Her cooking is outstanding compaired to the EX wifes lack of cooking!

As for me personally, My new/old job ain't what it was. The Pay vs Travel cost arn't working out...so after the divorse is settled I'm going on the hunt for something closer! The unemployment in florida is 12% so I have my work cut out for me!

I also started messing around again with my trains. Couple of weeks ago I actually bought me a new Locomotive!:eek: I got a atlas GP15-1 in CSX colors! I might build a bean pole switching layout using the local branch as a model for my fictional line. But for now I'm just Arm chairing it until the dust settles and the finances get straight!

Well got to go.......chat later! cul:)
 
Employers don't give a crap when they can make money. The are already home sitting in their nice warm houses drinking martinis.
 
Jeeeeeeeeeze it's COLD! It's 34 at lunchtime with a wind chill of 24. They are forecasting 16 for tonight:eek:. Just plain ain't use to this. I have my depot heater going full blast, but the high winds are coming in at every little crack.

Corey, you guys would make Santa feel right at home. Glad your wife made it home safely. Piss poor judgment (common sense) on her bosses part...seems to go along with the title, for many. BTW: heck of a note about the Vikings dome. From a dome to a bowl. Guess it just deflated.

:)All have a nice day and stay warm!:)
 
As for me and my GF Dana....Well:p She has been good to my son(when I get him) and I. She has just gotten over a real bad flu. and is back to her self. And she is trying to get me fattened up:rolleyes::) some. Her cooking is outstanding compaired to the EX wifes lack of cooking!
Sounds like you have a good one there Chris. AND SHE CAN COOK! That's even better.

Now you won't have to starve.:D
 
Employers don't give a crap when they can make money. The are already home sitting in their nice warm houses drinking martinis.
Not my last employer! He didn't leave the shop until the last employee was safely away, no matter what the weather. He was one of the good ones.
 
Murphy is a railroader...

Things didn't go so well today at the CMR club open house. The weather was (and still is) miserable, but that didn't stop a lot of visitors. Of course, almost anything that could go wrong, did. We had separations, derailments, stringlines, cars simply falling off the tracks, locomotive failures, and even a pair of pretty bad collisions. This was on the HO layout, the N scalers didn't fare much better. Their layout kept suffering shorts and derailments, though no collisions.
I brought my sound equipped N&W locomotives, the J for the Santa train, and the A to lug a mile-long freight around the club layout. I also brought my diesel museum denizen as well, SOU GP30 #2601. I did some serious kitbashing to make it resemble the NCTM' GP30 of the same number. The Geep 30 pulled an excursion train while the J pulled the Santa train, both on a different track from the A and its mile 'o cars.
The first major collision occurred when the A climbed a switch, derailing the front engine and stalling. One of the other club members was running 2601 while I ran the two steamers. I alerted him I had derailed, and to stop his train. He didn't hear me, and continued highballing with 2601. Did I mention I have a lot of work in 2601? Soundtraxx decoder, high nose added, lift rings, scale handrails, nose bell, custom paint, etc, etc, and etc? Well, I did. After it plowed into 1235 (the A), I now have a lot more work to do. Broken handrails, broken shell on the front hood, it's a mess. The A was repaired on the spot, all it had was a bent coupler cut lever, but the GP30 limped back to the terminal, where it was replaced by an FT. The FT, owned by the club member that crashed the Geep, didn't have any better luck. In nearly the same spot as the collision, it derailed and fell onto the concrete floor in the one spot that doesn't have anything to keep rolling stock from kissing the floor. We found out FTs don't bounce real well, they just kind of shatter.
Okay, last ditch effort to run the excursion train, we found a club-owned unit (NS dash 8) that ran, and stuck it on the point. It made it a little past the area we were having trouble with, then it collided with a cut of tank cars that had stringlined around a curve. It didn't hit the floor, but two of the tankers suffered pretty obvious damage. At that point, I ordered that train parked for the duration. All this was in addition to cars coming uncoupled from each other almost constantly, fingers "helping" to cause derailments, and generally getting our havoc wreaked.
I can hardly wait for next weekend. I think I'll bring a Bachmann GP40 I've been "saving" for a special occasion, and leave the "good stuff" home...:rolleyes:
 


Terry
Sounds like you need an exorcism on the layout!!:eek:

A few "Unattended children will be sold" signs usually help too!;)
 
Terry
Sounds like you need an exorcism on the layout!!:eek:

A few "Unattended children will be sold" signs usually help too!;)
The "helping fingers" were from the adults...:mad: The kids were well behaved, and kept their hands in their pockets. Only kid that wasn't "good" merely ran up and down the aisles.
 
funny-signs-warning.jpg


:eek::eek::D:D:D:D
 
I had one before I moved that said "Any fingers found on the layout will be removed. You may reclaim them when you leave."

Anyway, good morning. It's a clear, crisp 25 on our balcony. Driving to work will be a treat, as it rained most of yesterday, changed to snow, then froze. I hope the other drivers will be a cautious as I will be this morning. If not, I'll be making yet another claim to my auto insurance company...
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top