Coffee Shop Version is 11 now open.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon, everyone.

Looks like we actually have a few small storms on the radar that may make it here. Hooray!

Steve, have you ever been to any of the Pacific Islands like Hawaii or Fiji? They love Spam out there. Hormel makes about 60 varieties of Spam, many of which they only sell in the Pacific Islands. Apparently US troops bought Spam with them during the War and those folks just love it. We had cheese, pineapple, and raisin Spam for breakfast in the Cook Islands. Quite the taste treat. :)

Tom, sounds like you need the cortisone shot sooner than later. Tramping around a center median with an uncooperative contractor doesn't help any. Traffic accidents and traffic stops always scared me more than getting shot by a bad guy. At least we had red and blue lights to slow them down a little. Orange vests and amber lights seem to have no effect on some nitwits. :mad:

Ray, nice shots from camp. I love shooting off rockets. The zip line looks like fun too. We went about a mile 75 feet above the jungle canopy in Costa Rica on a not too safe looking zip line and that's just about the upper limits of my risk tolerance.

Phillip, I know what eschatology means, even though you tried to sneak that one by us. If you and your wife ever figure out the right answer, be sure to e-mail me so I know when to sell out of the market. :)

CJ, sounds like an unbelievable open house. We'll be looking forward to the pictures.

Sounds like it's getting warm and muggy up north too. We just had a five minute shower. Now it's 92 and the dewpoint is up to 78 degrees. The low last night was only 76 so summer is really here. We went and saw "West Side Story" at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival theater last night. They did a really good job. Alabama may not have a lot of cultural events but the ones they have are excellent.
 
Never been to the other side Jim, but folks in NZ say that spam over there is just horrible fatty crap which is only fit for dogs and cats, they like it greasy i believe,
 


Dang it, our rain has slowly dissolved even though we have a high dewpoint and unstable air. I guess it's all up north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Jeffrey, maybe your rain will be enough to keep the greass fires in check.

Steve, you will be amazed in NZ. Spam over there is nothing like the UK or USA. It is fatty and they have tons of different flavors, including barbeque teriyaki, and ketchup flavors. It's common for restauraunts to have five or six different Spam choices on the menu. Grocery stores have one whole aisle devoted to nothing but all the different types of Spam. You'll get used to it in NZ, I'm sure. The Cook Islands is sort of the tropical resort for the NZ residents and the Spam consumption there is little short of amazing. :eek:
 
Jeffrey, maybe your rain will be enough to keep the
greass​
fires in check.
I'm afraid it'll have the
​
opposite effect. Now that we've gotten this rain (a little over half an inch) a bunch of these clowns around here will go out and light off their burn piles. I foresee a busy week ahead.
 
Evenin' Folks, and hello from Camp Babcock-Hovey!

Today was field trip day for Sci Tek Camp with the aerospace track going to Cornell University to visit the Mars Rover Lab and the Nano Technology Research Lab. Here half the group are suited up to tour the Nano Tech Lab:

NanoLab01.png


And the Ecology/Geology track visited the Museum of the Earth and Taughannock Falls State Park. Here they are in the gorge:

Falls03.png


Oh this is the falls (would make a great scene to model wouldn't it?)

Falls08.png
 
Evenin' all,

Ray, Those pictures are absolutely great! Where is this camp? It is SO green there. Simply lovely. The zip line shots were excellent. Almost made me wanna try it, too. :eek:

Jim, Aced my pediatric psychopharm. paper. Go figure. This week I am working on a 'Gender Identity' paper. Yeah. That's gonna be a hoot.

Rex, You should take a class or two. When I am on a break from school, I sort of miss it (not enough to take extra classes, though!) As soon as I finish this degree, I will start on my Masters' in journalism. What a glutton for punishment! My next 3 classes are Algebra(s) and Statistics. I am NOT a Math person. I simply do not get it, and am dreading these classes SO much. :(

Steve, I have never tried Spam. My Dad would eat it when I was a kid, but none of the rest of us ate pork so I never tried it. I was always fascinated by those little Vienna Sausages, too. I thought they would be tasty. Never tried one. I adore John Cleese, so any reference to anything Monty Python is okay by me!!

Tom, I had a spur on one of my heels for a short time and I was miserable. I have no idea how you can stand on it for hours and your condition is much worse than mine ever was. Does it just lay you out when you try to step on it first thing in the AM? I sure hope something can be done to give you some relief...and soon.

I hope y'all have a great PM.

Sandy
 
Ray, that would make a great waterfall to model. Sandy's right, it's amazingly green back there.

Sandy, good for you acing your test. "Gender Identity", huh? I can direct you to some bars in the Denver area that might have some good subjects for interviews. :eek: Believe it or not, Statistics is the only math course I ever did really well in. Don't let it scare you. Just think of it as learning mathematical ways of thinking about how we decide what the odds are of something happening and you'll be fine.

Jeffrey, we get the numbskulls and the burn piles here too. As long as the wind doesn't come up, it's usually not too bad. we've had a couple of low humidity, high temperature windy days this spring and I was surprised the whole state didn't catch fire. There's going to be a real bad California type fire here one of these days as more people move into the country. Alabama has neither the resources or expertise to fight a really big wildfire. I hope all those folks have good fire insurance.

All our rain went away after our one five minute shower. Now they say we have a better chance for rain tomorrow. Liars! :mad: It's still 80 degrees now and humid as can be.
 


Good morning.

It's 78 and cloudy. The high is supposed to be in the mid 90's and there's a fair chance of rain.

Yesterday we actually got some rain. Not much, somewhat over half an inch but it's more than we had. Today I have a 10 am appointment to keep with the foot doc. Other than that my schedule is open.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 7/31/2008


Heat Index: 83°F
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 73°F

So Far Today
High: 78°F
Low: 78°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph NNE

Today High: 95 Partly sunny with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. Southwest winds around 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Tonight Low: 75 Decreasing clouds. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 70s. Light and variable winds.
 
Ray, Those pictures are absolutely great! Where is this camp? It is SO green there. Simply lovely. The zip line shots were excellent. Almost made me wanna try it, too. :eek:


Sandy

Camp is on Seneca Lake in the heart of the Finger Lakes Region of NYS. Oddly enough it is directly across the lake from the church camp I was at a couple weeks ago. Here in the Northeast, green stuff pops up any and every where there is an opening. It takes a lot of Green Stuff (WS) to model this part of the country. We have also had a wet summer this year (2+ inches above normal this month) so foliage has not been stressed much.

BTW, more photos of camp can br found at: http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/slow_rr/SciTek08/

Have a great day all!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks! I have most of my bench work done. There is one tricky section that will require me to build more than just a box. That will have to wait until Sunday. Then I need to move all of the bench work back down to the garage for paint and stain. It's finally starting to look like something.

My brothers family came over yesterday. His son overheard us talking about the trains and what they will look like. He informed us that he would very much like to see these trains we were discussing. I told him that they weren't ready yet. He looked a little disappointed, but ran along to help my niece terrorize the cats. After everyone left, the phone rang. It was my sister in-law telling me that my nephew has a request. He would like the trains to be working when he comes back! I just finished the bench work! I told her that if they wait until Christmas, I may not disappoint him! Either that, or I need a major infusion of cash and free time! I guess I have a mandate now. I must get trains running!

I hope everyone has a good day. Mine will be a long one at work.
 
Morning all!

Had a beautiful sunset last night around here! Wanna see?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/IMG_0025.jpg

Just a short while before that I noticed some comotion down by the tracks, so I jumped on the scooter to see what was up. Seems a train was having to drop it's cars on the main and then pick up the reminants of the work train that have been sitting around for a week or so. Those old gons have really seen better days. About that same time, the local came through, but my pics of it came out blurry, so nothing worth showing there. Here's the first train picking up the gons though.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/IMG_0018_edited.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/IMG_0013_edited.jpg

They're still in the process of doing their upgrades to the track as you can see. They've got stuff everywhere!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/IMG_0019_edited.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Prototype Train Photos/IMG_0014_edited.jpg



Phillip, I know what eschatology means, even though you tried to sneak that one by us. If you and your wife ever figure out the right answer, be sure to e-mail me so I know when to sell out of the market. :)

Only way I'll ever get it right is in hindsight, so I won't be a lot of help to you I don't think!


Oh well, thats about it for now.

Catch ya later!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks

It was 78 F this morning on its way to 91 F.

I have a busy morning. I have to go on field view to meet with a township and borough representatives, and fire companies to discuss an upcoming bridge project. We need to figure out a way to get EMS services to the other side of the bridge during construction.

No modeling last night.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Good Morning All ! Looks like another fine day here in Western New York ! At least the rain has stopped for a day or two ! Gonna get out and pick some tomatoes and check on some Maple Sapplings I planted . Hope everyone has a real nice day . And I'll have some "Spam" and eggs and coffee .Philip nice shots of the sunset and work train !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It appears I had somewhat of a close call yesterday. During the thunderstorm there was a lightning strike close by. At the time I didn't realize how close. I just know that almost everything in the trailer jumped. Looking around in the yard this morning I found a bunch of tree bark laying in a ten foot long line near a pine tree that's about twenty feet from my trailer. Looking up the tree I could see where the lightning bolt had hit it and how far the bolt came down the tree before it jumped to the sheet steel on my roof. From there it was directed right to the ground.
 
What the deuce??

And the Ecology/Geology track visited the Museum of the Earth and Taughannock Falls State Park. Here they are in the gorge:

Hey Ray,

Where are the fishing poles??????? :eek:
No trip to a watering hole is complete without fishing poles! :D
 
Good morning everyone!
Flo, I'll have the stuffed texas toast and a cup of coffee please.
Glad the lightning didn't get ya Jeffrey! :eek: :D
Pick a tomatoe for me Paul. :)
Have a great day everyone.
 


Hey Philip,

I liked your link in the siggy:
Always be ready with an answer for the hope that's within you.

Was real glad it wasn't an Obama ad.......:rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top