Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim I see from the, What do you do for a living thread you were a project manager. After 12 years on the railroad I spent the last 25 years as a union laborer. I’ve always had to deal with the site project manager for one reason or another. Ninety-five percent of them were architects. All most all wanted to build a model railroad when they retired. So we always got a along. When we built an addition on to the Valhalla Children’s Hospital they had a real FL-9 loco there. I was walking buy the engine one day and the project manager was passing by at the same time. I said, I ran that engine when I worked on the railroad. He said come into my office. We have big plans for that engine; a whole model railroad goes inside. Do you know anything about model railroading? Can you help us, I wanted to say yes but the time involved would be just too much. It was at the end of the job and the engine wasn’t done yet. Some day I want to back and see how it turned out.

George
 
Well Jim, how about 1-2" for us and mix for you. This time the weather man didn't include the word, "tricky" in the forecast. Must be on ;):D.

LT: you must not have any hunters nearby cause there are plenty of guns in Canada; just not so many in ladies' purses ;). Trouble? Yes, we have plenty, but have to thank the courts for that...not guns.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


there are hunters, but not in huge numbers.
I don't know ANYONE who owns a handgun.

some of the farmers have a .22 in the house.


but here's my very favourite hunting accident story:

this happened a couple of years ago in the area I used to live in. two hunters head to the woods. they're crossing a wide open field. one is going up the fenceline on the left.
the other is going up the fenceline on the right.

a deer runs down the middle of the field, right between them.

BOTH the hunters take aim and shoot at the deer.

they both miss.

the deer, that is.

not the brightest bulbs on the planet, these two hunters.
they spent the rest of the day in emerg.

:D :D :D

cracks me up every time I remember it.
 
Sandy, you're hilarious. Well, I shouldn't say that, since it's only aircraft buffs that know much about things like model numbers and features. The F-16 has hard chine fairings that blend with the wings to give it better stall behavior and maneuverability. It has thrust deflectors operated by jaw joints at the engine exhaust outlet, again to increase maneuverability. The F-16 would have been an even better dog fighter if the Air Force had adopted Multi-Axis Thrust-Vectoring, which is used on Israeli F-16's, but they ran out of money. I hate James too, since I always knew I was in trouble when my mom called me that. In my case, I usually did something wrong. :D


Jim...Missed it by { } this much! I actually never read a BOOK about F16's, but I did subscribe to an AF periodical and read a few articles on 16's. :o I 'flew' a T38 simulator. Did a heck of a job, too. Well, I did fly INTO the Golden Gate Bridge 3 times, but I landed in Denver in a blizzard and my brother, who was a 38 instructor at the time, told me I landed pretty darn well :D Oh..and...I feel the same about the Multi-Axis Thrust-Vectoring :p


Larry...I am sorry to hear about your FIL. I hope he can get ahead of all these problems. I hope your wife finds some time to rest!

LTF...Very cute horse! How is he adapting to his new home?

Ken...How is Vicki? When is surgery?

My brother goes in tomorrow for his ankle surgery. The weather here is pitiful with blowing snow and temps projected for tonight below 0. Hope he makes it okay to the hospital in the AM.

Hope everyone has a good night :)

Sandy
 
Our thoughts and prayers are with him, Sandy.

Jim: You can always come up here and go snow-boarding with me tomorrow. Then we can share a hospital room and talk trains.:rolleyes::D
 
Afternoon, everyone.

...The only thing that might help us is if we don't get some return flow from the Gulf to moisten up our airmass. It still looks like we are on track for a good shot of wintry weather to me. CJ, what's your take on this?

Well Jim, as you know the various models have completely underperformed so far this year in regards to QPF and temps. The last several rains we had, we were supposed to have averaged 1/2 to 3/4" of rain, according to the models, well we have averaged 3" here and places to our east and west, in Ms. and Ga. got even more. There's been a lot of flood watches out the past 2 months.

They haven't done well with temps either. We had a high here of 34 today. It was supposed to be 39. The models simply cannot handle the extremely low temps in the lower and middle atmosphere, never mind the cooling affect the snowcover to the N and NW gives to the lower atmosphere. If you go by what the temp profiles they are showing, we should only drop to 30 tonight. Its 27 at the airport at the NWS and 24 here at my house.

My guess is that some folks may be pleasantly surprised by this time tomorrow night. The NWS is also calling for snow flurries to continue thru to Sat. mornin'. Not sure about flurries as a new Vort.Max is setting up in the 4 corners region right now, and none of the models has seen it yet. The return flow from the gulf started yesterday about 6PM over in Tx, and neither the NAM, or GFS has "seen" it yet. They do have it on their runs for today, but it started yesterday and is already east and further north of what they have "predicted" so far!

One of the best short range models for winter weather, the SREF, has totally blown this. They show absolutely no precip. at all for any of Ms, Bama, and Ga for next 36hrs, starting at 6PM, or 00UTC. That's totally against current radar and ground obs so far in N Ms, and NW Bama.

The big message that they are emphasizing and I agree 100% with, is the bitter cold that is coming Friday, thru Monday here. Given the models poor performance with temps this whole season, it may be even colder than predicted. We rarely get into the teens but once or twice a season, but the models are showing low single digits with wind chills well below zero. For here, that's almost unheard of!

Daughter called from Little Rock, at 4:30pm, and said she was running in and out of snow flurries and snow showers then. Their snow wasn't supposed to start until after midnight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
CJ, I see that the low is starting to wind up pretty good over Arkansas and Louisiana. The return flow has already hit MS, with a temperature of 42 and light rain at Jackson. It's still 29 here but that's up a degree from an hour ago, and the humidity is starting to creep up also. It looks like the precip is having a tough time moving further east due to the dry air, but that should change over the next six hours or so. You're right about the models, they just aren't any good at handling such rare events as this. They've done a really poor job with the cold air wedge from the north and east of us. My fear is that this is going to start as rain with a temperature in the mid-30's. If so, the supercooled air aloft, combined with the very cold surface temperatures, will cause the rain to ice everything it hits. Sometime after noon, it should change over to all snow. Even if we only get an an inch, that inch over a layer of ice is going to be a huge problem here, since we have no plows or sand trucks. As you say, the outbreak of cold air is probably going to be historic, and we won't see temperatures above freezing until at least Sunday, so whatever falls isn't going anywhere for a while. That vort max you are correctly seeing over the Four Corners looks like more headaches for next Tuesday and Wednesday. This is not what I signed on for when I joined the Confederacy. :D

Larry, sorry to hear that feeding tube is causing problems again. I hope they get it fixed right this time. It really shouldn't be leaking so soon after it was installed.

George, I always got along with the union guys because I wasn't an architect or engineer, just knew something about construction and understood the problems of building something rather designing it. A layout inside an FL-9 sounds like a pretty cool idea. I wonder if they ever got it done? Are you close enough to go check it out?

Sandy, sounds like you have some pilot skills if you did that well on a T-38 simulator. All those aircraft details are like rivet counters for model railroaders. All us wannabees like to learn all this so we feel like we're really pilots. :) I'm sure praying that things go OK with your brother tomorrow.

Matt, I finished ground school and did most of my air time in a 152. Never had the time or money to complete the course and solo. In looking back on it, it was kind of dumb, since I only needed another 15 hours, but life intervenes in hobbies sometimes. My brother did complete his training and became a pilot. He flew 172's for a number of years but his blood pressure washed him out of his physical, so he's a Flight Simulator pilot now. Still knows more about flying an airplane than I ever learned. I flew with him a lot and took the controls when I had the chance. He was a natural pilot. I was white knuckle pilot. :eek:

LTF, there's a reason why OPP officers are armed and that particular officer was standing guard with a long gun, probably a shotgun. There are people who want to steal money in Canada, just like here. It is basically illegal to own a handgun for self-defense in Canada. Carrying a handgun is tightly controlled and ordinary citizens will never get a permit. That should lead to really low violent crime rates, right? Well, let's compare the crime rate in Lincoln, Nebraska, where it's relatively easy for law-abiding citizens to own and carry handguns, to Toronto, where hardly anyone is supposed to own a handgun. The murder rate per 100,000 in Lincoln is 1.6. It's 1.7 in Toronto. The rate for robbery in Lincoln is 84.7, compared to 92.2 in Toronto. Forcible rape in Lincoln is 44.7, 61.4 in Toronto. Most of these crimes are commited with weapons, usually handguns. Lest you think Toronto is an anomaly, the crime rates in Manitoba are three to four times higher than Toronto. The reason you haven't seen anyone with a handgun is that you don't hang around with criminals. They all have handguns and could care less about what the law says. It's only people like you that are left defenseless. I don't know how long it's been since you were in the street and alleys of Toronto, but it seems to be a fairly violent place now. Many US cities have more crime than Canada, but that has to do with culture, legal systems, and large numbers of violent illegal aliens, a problem Canada hasn't had to face...yet. I'm glad that you haven't been the victim of a violent crime and hope you never will. OTOH, I'm sure you carry insurance on your farm, and it hasn't burned down yet. Being a single female living on an isolated farm, I would think having some type of firearm is as prudent as carrying insurance on your farm. You hope you won't need it but, if you do, it's a little too late to get it after the fact.
 
Todays Morning temp in Brooksville.......21*!

Forcasted high for today........58*

Sat. might get snow very very very light flurrys in northern countys!!!! we'll see.....
 


yup, I know the statistics.

but you don't see as many normal, ordinary people here with guns. its just not a part of our culture.

if you told ANY of the people I know they should have a gun in the house for protection, you'ld get pretty much the same reaction.

we'ld all burst out laughing.

on to the weather.

Its damn cold. in F and C.

new horse has settled in quite nicely. hope I can sell him as quickly as he arrived. I SO don't need another one.

coffee is on. hugs for everyone needing one.

and remember, SPRING IS COMING. :D
 
The Doctors could not reinsert the feeding tube in my FIL. The doc said he could try and do it thru the tube but he might puncture something else and Glenn is to weak to do another surgery. They are going to discuss the options with Glendia and Glenn today. It is really starting to look pretty grim. Valerie(our RN daughter) would like to take him home and have Hospice help with that endeavor. The next few weeks are going to be tough especially for Glendia as she just lost her mother in August. Her mother went rather quickly and this is dragging on and I can really tell that the stress is getting to her. There is not a whole lot I can do to help but just be there for support and a sounding board for her to vent to. Thank you all for your prayers and support it is greatly appreciated by me and Glendia.
 
Had a pleasant surprise early this morning. I was just grabbing a cup of joe at 0720 when I saw the Fedex truck pull up. Bingo! My new monitor arrived...that was really quick shipping and early delivery. The guy said he liked to get the "sign-for" deliveries done early to catch people at home. It worked and I had to cover my thongs quickly. JUST KIDDING CHRIS, you can stop puking now LOL:D.

Jim/Carey: we are getting flurries to light snow at this moment and it is "sticking". They say only 1" coming, but I don't care how much: its pretty, fun, and peaceful. Jim, Prattville may not have sand trucks but the county should and the state most definitely does and with blades for some of the trucks.

Let me go and hook up this new monitor. CUL
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's 46 and very wet. There will be more rain coming in later.

I was thinking about my cars brake problem last night and I started having the sneaking suspicion that the front brakes aren't working. I'll have to check this out when the weather allows. If that's the case it would indicate a possible master cylinder problem. The brake fluid level is OK but the function isn't. Normally the front of the car will lower quite a bit when the brakes are applied, but now it doesn't, rather the braking seems to be coming from the rear. There's been no indication that the front pads need replacing but they'll get checked anyway. I do know that the brake pedal travel is excessive, almost all the way to the floor. The only time it did this in the past was when the master cylinder failed completely. Yet another thing to strain the finances.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/PB070178.jpg
 
CJ, I see that the low is starting to wind up pretty good over Arkansas and Louisiana. The return flow has already hit MS, with a temperature of 42 and light rain at Jackson. It's still 29 here but that's up a degree from an hour ago, and the humidity is starting to creep up also. It looks like the precip is having a tough time moving further east due to the dry air, ...

Right now, after looking at the ROAB, there is an extremely dry layer of air approx. 5000 ft above us and the atmosphere will have to get a lot wetter before we see much here. While there are great echos on radar, just about everything is evaporating in this layer before it hits the ground.

Supposedly we weren't supposed to have anything this early, but the system seems to be moving a little faster. Let's hope that LP in the Gulf gets some moisture up here. Otherwise it will be like last March around here, a virga blizzard.

Edit: Its is now 1030am. Just started with some graupel here about 5mins ago. It has already turned over to just snow. Ain't much, but its better than we've had since last year.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Larry - I'll notch-up the prayer effort for you, Glendia and FIL! :(

Sandy - Vicky had her surgery and left the hospital late Tuesday, thanks for asking! She had 3 'clean' fractures, according to the ortho doc that type of surgery is very straightforward and he got it done quickly. The tough part was finding pain meds that wouldn't make Vicky sick. First they put her on Dilaudid(sp?) which made her sick, then the medicine they gave her for the nausea made her delirious. Finally they found an effective painkiller that didn't cause side effects, and she was able to complete the physical therapy and be discharged. I've had to make some minor infrastructure changes around the house, but my MRR benchwork building experience made that job easier! ;) BTW--Hope your BIL's surgery went OK!

Jeff sorry to hear about the brakes issue, hope you don't need to replace the Master Cylinder..!

Rex/Jim/Mikey/CJ - hope the snowfall [if you actually get any] doesn't affect your state too adversely!

LT - hope you can sell that colt at a profit, then maybe you can invest in some [more] train stuff:D

. . .
Gotta run, this is my first day back at the office since the accident and I have a few smoldering fires to put out. Yall have a good'un!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
CJ: not much happening here now...just a hit and miss kind of thing. Radar doesn't look good for much. Figures! Love the idiots that closed all those schools. If this had been tomorrow, I would believe it a conspiracy because of the football game tonight LOL :D.

Ken: Glad Vicky back home.

Bob: The new monitor is outstanding. Using Railroad&Co., I can get all the track diagram and all the open windows I need, separated on the screen at the same time. Glad I went with the 24"...thanks.

BTW: photos are unbelievably clear crisp on this thing and I can even see you guys. Karl, put on your danged pants...good grief.:p:D

ROLL TIDE!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon--

Got a bit of a break from all the dang paperwork to say hello--see everyone is all awake here---no one sleepin' in no corners eh?:eek::):):):rolleyes:

It's just plain ol' dull here--we had our good morning bunch of accidents on the 401 from freezing drizzle bits and the usual 3" snowfall---now we're expecting another 2" tonight with a 2-4" bit tomorrow then another 3-5" bunch that evening-----yay:cool::cool:

Have a good afternoon---at least:cool::D:D:D
 


LTF, I have no idea of the association that the owners belonged. The foal's name was Grandee Stargazer. His sire was Grandee Starpopper and the mare was Bella's Honeybun. He was double registered with the AQHA and the AAA. He competed in show jumping competition and did well, though I don't think he ever won any major event that I am aware of. But to have an Appaloosa as a jumper is rather unique from my understanding.

BTW, I have heard that our neighbors to the north are reconsidering their restrictive gun laws. There may be a reason behind that move.

Rex, glad you like the new monitor. It really makes a difference when compared to the CRT's. You'll soon wonder how you ever survived before. I'm glad I could help.

And picturing you in a thong...... GHASTLY!!!!!!!! You owe me a new keyboard as I spit coffee all over mine.

Jim, I got to fly helicopters while overseas. Our whole team could do every job of every other member of the unit. And I flew back seat in an F16.

My most memorable airplane adventure was being able to fly in the right hand seat of a B17 this year. A friend hooked me up at a local "fly-in/cruise-in". He owns a P51 and is a part of the "WarBirds". The better half took a video of us flying over the house getting ready to land. I haven't even downloaded the video from the camera. My nephew actually shot the vid. We had a couple of chase planes, one being my buddy. The other was a P47.

Larry, all I can say is "damned bad luck". I know what Glendia is going through as I watched my Dad pass painfully away. He had cancer also. The doctors tried to perc his kidneys, but the pain was too much and he wasn't well enough to be put under or receive a block. The medical staff made him as comfortable as possible for his remaining days. Still the tough old goat hung on for another week. I so wished for him to just let go.

My prayers are with you, Glendia, the family, and the FIL. I hope the Good Lord, gives all of you the strength you will need.

Jeffrey, you sound to me as if you have the same luck I usually have. BAD!!! If you need it, I have a 125# boat anchor with about 25' of chain I can send you until you get the brake thing figgered out. I think the chain is heavier than the anchor. The links are about a foot long and 1 1/4" in diameter. I use it for a lawn ornament, but I won't need it until spring. lol In fact, it's just leaning against the garage now.

-ken, glad to hear the good news with Vicki. Now, that she's on the mend she should be good to go come summer. But, I would imagine that rehab will make her grouchy. I always hated rehab with my knee, neck and back surgeries. Believe me when I tell you that. I've had 11 knee surgeries. The therapists believe in the adage, "No pain, no gain", and that's a fact.

Sandy, I thought that Colorado would know how to better handle the snow. I remember being out in Edgewood visiting a friend one winter. Of course it snowed. The state seemed to handle removing the snow and clearing the roads better than they do here in Hoosierland.

I hope the BIL is doing well. Hopefully he, too, will have a fast and uneventful recovery.

Well, the white stuff be comin' down here in abundance(temp 23*F). And it's STILL comin'. Looks almost like lake effect snow, very fine, but steady. It's already up to the dog's stomachs. The little female Boston Terrier, Hannah, has a tough time getting around in the high snow. The male, Otis(actually OD meaning "Other Dog"), a much larger dog(35#), twice the size of Hannah(19#), has a ball. Hannah can't handle the cold very well. At least her "potty breaks" are short. She does her job and heads for the door. Otis? Well, let's just say getting him back inside can be a challenge when I'm freezing my butt off.

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top