Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
good morning, its been a while since I've popped by for coffee.

I'm a lady, and I play in **** all day long. :D :D

Which becomes a PITA when the temps drop like this and there's too much snow to push the full wheelbarrow out to Manure Mountain behind the barn.

but. take heart.

with the increased daylight, the horses have started shedding their winter coats.
must mean SPRING IS ON THE WAY.
 
Well now, I see I was mistaken, I didn't realize that Sandy is indeed a Lady, exccuse me Sandy. I always associated that name with a guy that I thought was on the forum prior so hence my post. I see I also misspelled Flo's name, well I guess today wasn't my day and it took all day to get my the coffee maker cleaned out too!

So I see, or should I say I feeling the rath of a few, thank God electrons don't transmit odoir, for what you had in stor for me and to think I'm just a lowly Trussrod Hobo trying to get on down the line and there are some of you being just like Ernest Borgnine In A#1
when he had a coupler pin on the end of a rope trying to knock me off my pirch with that big pin bouncing around on the ties. Oh well I'll heal ane the smell thank God for an electronic shield.

Hope you all have a good day and Sandy I do apologize as I don't know that I've ever seen your picture. It would be a plesant change after looking at these other guys most all the time. Oh God, here come more of the smelly stuff, glad I have the shield!!

Oh Ken, careful about Vicky, some of these guys get kinda wild and there not the best shots either.

Gooid gosh it's almost 5:00 Am, time to call it a night.

Later all.
 


Good morning folks

It was 23 F as I headed out onto the once again crowded roadways. High today will be 32 F.

My son is still down and out. He was up until 2 AM last night with an upset stomach. He is again home from school. Now my daughter is also dealing with a bad stomach and is also home from school. I came to work to escape the illnesses.

Last night my daughter had her flute lesson. She completed her “book” report. I attended the parents meeting for my son’s Boy Scout troop and found out that the June trip has to be changed and they are investigating some alternates.

No trains last night.

My daughter has volleyball practice and we’ll see if she is well enough to go.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Morning---:mad:

Welcome to a frozen slop day in BrokenPipeVille:mad: We had another break just another 70' or so from the LAST one:(:eek: But at least it is just far enough down that it is just past our circuit.

At least I'm working from home so that kinda makes a little less of a hassle---especially when frozen slop is present:(

Gonna have to work on an elevator that 'Spring' found and decided that it was a toy for him---left it on the worktable---:rolleyes::rolleyes:

David Good thing it only got to this point!:) If Chris ever got really going we'd not only have the smell to contend with!!:eek::eek: The last go 'round left a bit of a mess 'round here---they had to use a front end loader and a couple of pumper trucks to clean it up!:eek:

So people behave yourselves:rolleyes::)

Have a good one!!:D:D
 
Jim>....David, not only did you spell Flo's name wrong, you forgot that Sandy, an actual female, is a frequent visitor.
Are you implying that Flo is not a real female:eek:? Shame on you! I didn't know that :confused:. :D

After searching the web store prices and going to some stores this morning, I just ordered a 24" Dell HD widescreen monitor. It was regular $279 on sell for $199. It has good reviews and I don't really care about super this and thats: its just for use as a model railroad computer monitor for goodness sake. Besides the price was right with free shipping. I should have it mid next week. Thanks for all the help;).

Jim, this weather should bring back your fond memories of Cleveland. HEHEHEHE!
Man, it is cold and going to get colder. I even get to wear some sweaters that have been on the shelf for a couple of years.

Chris, what does that mini gun shoot, BB's? That is a bad little guy, but looks like fun. Price?

LT: before I retired, I also used to play in it all day...called work politics!:D
 
It's 33 and sunny. The high is supposed to be 45 but I don't think it's gonna make it.

Got the computer back up. I had the power supply tested this morning an dit checked out fine so the only thing left to check for was a mainboard problem. I reinstalled the power supply then checked the mainboard connections over with a fine toothed comb. The problem was so simple and so small I almost missed it. The CMOS jumper block had come off! I put a new one on then pressed the power button and everything works. Needless to say my day greatly improved. Went to see the foot doc first thing this morning and he's very happy with what he found. The wound is now only about 12 millimeters deep and about 30 millimeters across. That's a big improvement from 50 and 146. My parent's have invited me over for chili dogs later and I accepted. I may only be able to eat one but I'm gonna enjoy it!

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/DSCN2250.jpg
 
Bob: I noticed in the "State" thread that you were born in Rome, NY at Griffiss AB. Was your Dad in the Air Force Logistical Command (AFLC)? The reason I ask, my first assignment after Tech School was at Brookley Field, Mobile, Al. I was in the GEEIA Squadron (AFLC) and our headquarters was at Rome...Just curious. Since you are so old, I would assume that it would have been long before my time. hehehe!
 
Chris, what does that mini gun shoot, BB's? That is a bad little guy, but looks like fun. Price?

Rex,<<< http://www.trinityairsoft.com/p-1198-echo-1-minigun-long-version-airsoft-gun-discontinued.aspx >>> it shoots 6mm plastic .25-.30 gram BB's, and As for the mini Gun I believe only 125 or is it 150:confused: are being made for the public the rest for the military(For Training exercises)! as for the price......$3500.00:eek::rolleyes: These airsoft Gun are what some police/swat departments and military use for training exercises! The Ammo is way cheaper and nobody gets seriously hurt and not as messy as paint ball!

I won't spend more than $50 for a springer or Gas powered and $150 for a AEG(Automatic Electric Gun) Due to the rough nature of the game the guns get tore up fast and need constent repair! Rex, Wally World has a couple of good springer guns in sporting goods department that can be had for under $40.00 Thay are way fun to play with and with less than 200 foot ranges and at the most 450 fps speed they are safe to shoot in most if not all yards. If'n you like guns these are a must for just fooling around with!
 
Old in body only, Rex. Other than the usual "oldtymers" memory loss, I'm still pretty sharp. It's just the body no longer wants to cooperate at times. The mind thinks of doing something and the body goes, "Hey, can we think more about this?"

Dad was a jet aircraft mechanic back in the early 1950's. He is a member of the crew that had the first jet to log 1000 flight hours. Quite and accomplishment back in those days. He served with the 127th Fighter Wing while stationed at Griffiss. And my first trip home to be introduced to all of the family after being born was by train. Not that I can remember that.

After he was discharged in early 1955, he became a civilian crew chief at what was then Bunker Hill AFB, now Grissom AFB(named after the astronaut Gus Grissom, a Hoosier). Dad did that as a part time gig until going back to work at Owens-Illinois in Gas City, Indiana, a job he had before he enlisted in the service.

I can remember the jets flying over the house in NY even though I was only about two. Dad's pilot would fly over and "wiggle" his wings when he would take off. I can STILL remember that, but I can't remember where I put my keys.

I also read that Griffiss was home to the cruise missile for a while.

I'm glad you found a monitor. I'm not a big Dell fan, but I'm sure the monitor will fit your needs and really take you aback with its clarity. You will wonder how you survived all of this time with a conventional monitor. Now just get a decent surround sound, load the computer with railroad sounds and you will be blown away. I downloaded railroad music, and a bit from a site that has the radio communications for dispatching..... Fire it up and I'm there. Really there.

Jeffrey, good news on the foot .....and the computer. I rebuilt one of my servers a couple of years back. I had one connection wrong and the thing wouldn't work, not even start up. I downloaded the schematic and ta-da, found the problem, and the thing fired right up. Hasn't been apart since except for cleaning.

A minigun, Chris? Dem things be noisy. Like paper ripping only LOUDER!!! I went to a Soldier ofFortune convention many years ago with Dad. There be some STRANGE ones there. Some guy had a turret with a set of quad minis, HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tore up an old NOVA, I mean TORE.............IT................UP!!!!!!!!!! Bad mamma-jamma fer shur. And if'n you wanted to cough up $250, you could get to fire the thing(s). The guy that owned it would just sweep the brass into a big wooden box between shooters. And the night fire exercise, with all of the tracers was TOO COOL. They fired the miniguns and it was just a solid red line to the target. AWESOME!!!!

David, let's hope Sandy is feeling a bit generous today. If not, well, let's just hope she is.

Barry, working from home is nice, but it has its drawbacks. Distractions are many at home and you really need to keep your focus. You almost have to retrain yourself to keep sharp. I've been working from home for a while. Up until just recently, I've had the benefit of being able to go to the shop. But, since selling it, I don't have that luxury. But, it is nice to be able to wear anything you like, pajamas, shorts...... while on the job. The thing I miss most is having someone else making the coffee. lol

Heat wave here today. It's 16*F!!!! I'm ready for spring, gettin' the boats out and do some fishin'!!! I could ice fish I guess, in fact going out tomorrow. But, in addition to fishin' on the boat, we have "Bikini Watches". The main reason I wear dark sunglasses in the boat. Don't want to get caught "observing". Just ain't many bikinis out and about in January. I'm old, not dead. And I do enjoy some of the "finer" things in life. lol

Bob
 


Afternoon, everyone.

LTF, sorry, I forgot that you are also a member of the fairer sex. :) Anyone that can haul loads of horse manure around in freezing weather has to be treated with respect.

Chris, looks like that airsoft minigun could do serious damage to a human body. What are the regulations on selling those things?

David, I can see you experience showing the proper humility when you've insulted a woman. :D Sandy's much too nice to give you as much grief as we do.

Tom, it sure seems like your kids have been sick a lot lately. I hope they start doing better soon.

Barry, that's one reason the cats are never allowed in the basement. They would think the layout was a big cat toy I made just for them. Sounds like the infrastructure up there needs some work. Maybe the Canadian government needs to start a pipe replacement stimulus program. :rolleyes: I did a lot of my work from my home office when I was a consultant. I had a rule that, if the office door was closed, I was at work, and don't bother me unless the house was on fire. It worked out fine once everyone got that rule down pat. :)

Rex, never having seen Flo, I can only assume she's a female but, with no real evidence of such, one can never tell nowadays. :eek: I think you'll be really pleased with the new monitor and it sounds like a good price. Monitors are almost like computers now. I think they are all made at the same three factories in China and there's really not much difference except for various geegaws they add on to get you to pay more. I do indeed feel like I'm back in Cleveland. It was actually warmer in Cleveland last night than it was here.

Jeffrey, glad to hear that the computer turned out to be an easy fix...if you know what you're doing. :) Good to hear the wound sucker is doing its job too.

Bob, I went to one of the Soldiers of Fortune type things about 15 years ago. There are some seriously disturbed people there. Great place to look at guns though. One guy had a half track with quad 50's mounted on it. I'm assuming he must have been a Federal Firearms Dealer since they were fully functional. He had some tapes of things he's taken apart with it, including literally destroying an entire barn that was scheduled for demolition. The whole structure was on the ground in about 15 seconds. :eek: BTW, what do you know about the S&W .500 handguns. I saw one yesterday, and it looked like one mean gun, although the kick must be tremendous. It was a chrome 8 inch barrel and going for $1400. With ammo at about $2 a round, you won't be doing much plinking with it either.

It's sunny today with a temperature of 41 after a low of 17 this morning. Things start to get dicey tomorrow as we get more moisture return from the Gulf to moderate temperatures a bit as a big low begins to dive south from the Plains. It looks like our temperatures will hit the mid 40's tomorrow and then be between 33 and 37 when the moisture gets here, early Thursday, the perfect setup of an ice storm. It will turn to all snow by late afternoon. Dianna just laughed when I asked if they sell snow shovels down here. :) The 4WD may get a workout this weekend if we are to get anywhere. The worst part is that next week looks just as cold, with another round of ice and snow around Wednesday. This is starting to get really old. :mad:
 
Jim, here's the General Reg. for airsoft gun. It verys some from state to state but not much.

Under Federal Law, airsoft guns are not classified as firearms and are legal for all ages. This is also the case for the laws in each state. However, in some major cities and population centers the definition of a firearm within their respected ordinances includes propulsion by spring or compressed air, thus making airsoft subject to applicable laws.

A 6 mm minimum orange tip must be present on the barrel end of the airsoft gun (or clear/transparent body) to identify it as such for any commercial sales.[8] Once sold, local laws may vary on whether or not the orange tip must be kept. In many places no laws exist restricting one from removing or replacing the orange tip, but one should check the local laws before making such a modification.

Airsoft guns' trademarks must be removed where the manufacturer does not have an existing license agreement with the manufacturer of the real fire arm. For example: Classic Army has a licensing agreement with Armalite, so the trademarks can stay on imported replicas of Armalite's weapons. In practice, enforcement is hit or miss. You might get an "unlicensed" gun through customs with trademarks intact, while a licensed gun might be held in customs by a uninformed customs agent. House Resolution 607, sponsored in early 2007, would change this if passed, allowing imports to retain trademarks even if there is no agreement between the real firearms manufacturer and the replica manufacturer.[9]

In addition, the similarity between genuine firearms and airsoft replicas is close enough to provoke interaction with local law enforcement personnel if an airsoft gun is carried openly in public.[citation needed] If someone were to, for example, attempt a robbery with an airsoft gun, they would be charged as if the airsoft gun were a real firearm.[citation needed]

New York City requires that all realistic toy or imitation firearms be made of clear or brightly colored plastics. Furthermore, New York City makes possession of any pistol or rifle or similar instrument in which the propelling force is a spring or air unlawful without a license. See New York City Administrative Code § 10-131(b) and New York City Administrative Code § 10-131(g)(1)(a)[10]. According to New York state law, airsoft guns are classified as firearms and therefore must follow state firearm laws regarding possession and purchase. Due to this, "technically" airsofts are legal in New York State. If you are going to play, you must do so on a private property.

Michigan allows the purchase of airsoft guns. However, they must have an orange tip on the barrel.

Texas allows airsoft guns to be owned, but most cities require that the airsoft guns be discharged only while outside city limits.

Some cities in Illinois consider shipping or distributing airsoft guns illegal. It is officially now not illegal to remove the orange tip of the airsoft gun.

In Minnesota, it is illegal for a child under the age of 14 to possess an airsoft gun unless under the supervision of a parent or adult. It is also illegal for any child under 18 to purchase an airsoft gun without parental permission. In Saint Paul and Minneapolis, airsoft guns cannot be carried in public unless they either have an orange tip, are clear or brightly colored. Airsoft guns also cannot be carried in public if they have a laser attached. It is legal to possess airsoft guns in these cities as long as they are transported in a closed and fastened gun case (in accordance with Minnesota firearm transportation laws) and unloaded. The vast majority of municipalities in Minnesota ban the firing of an airsoft gun within the city limits.


Average BB gun spits out a copper or lead pellet at 1200fps.

Average Airsoft gun spits out a plastic 6mm BB at 450fps.

and whats a 22cal fps? has to be way more than 1200?

Yes, getting hit point blank hurts like hell.......but no death will occure! Point blank your average airsoft couldn,t put a BB through a alum. can!
 
Jim, I bought an S&W .50 when they first came out. Being a "hand cannon" fanatic, it only seemed natural. It is a handful, but doesn't recoil anything near my .30-'06 Encore. I bought mine through the S&W Custom Shop and paid a bit more than $1400 closer to 25 BIG ones.

The recoil, while formidable, is nothing to wince at, very close to my Model 29 or the .454 Casull. I was practicing with it when I first got it. We fired at the gun club around dusk. Since the barrel is ported, it gave everyone quite a show with the muzzle blast. I actually knocked over a pop can some 30 yards out with just the concussion of the blast. And the report is quite loud and unique. Not a "pop" like a .223, but a loud KA-BOOM!!!!! Deeper than a .44 MAG.(another favorite along with the .454 Casull).

It does well on deer out to about 250 yards. I've hunted with pistols since Indiana allowed pistols for hunting. I can't tell you the last time I used a shotgun. Muzzleloaders are also a favorite of mine.

I believe in fair chase and hunting at a disadvantage. Though, if one shoots well, hits what they aim the muzzle at, there's not much fair chase. Having been a sniper, I believe in the "one shot, one kill" theory. And, such is a humane way of putting down the animal.

I've even shot a moose with the S&W. That did take two shots. The first shot was right in the boiler room, but did not faze that big critter. He just raised his head from the wild rice and started walking away. The second shot put him down mid-step.

You can reload rounds for about $1.35 each if you watch where you buy your components. The dies sure ain't cheap!!!! and brass can only be resized 3, maybe 4, times. sometimes less, depending on how hot you reload.

There's a guy down in Anderson, I believe (he was a friend of my Dad's), that has an M43 with quad .50's. He also has a MASH ambulance. The M43 has rubber pads on the racks so that it is legal to parlay the roads. I'd love to have one!!!!! The ultimate deer hunting machine. You can kill it and process it in one slick operation!!! lol

And the characters from the SOF conventions seem to come right out of "Deliverance', and that's a fact. Odd doesn't even describe them. But, you are right on the arsenal of guns found there. Some look down right scary.

Bob
 
Afternoon, everyone.
LTF, sorry, I forgot that you are also a member of the fairer sex. :) Anyone that can haul loads of horse manure around in freezing weather has to be treated with respect.

David, I can see you experience showing the proper humility when you've insulted a woman. :D Sandy's much too nice to give you as much grief as we do.


Say Jim, Thanks for pointing out my experience in apologizing and to the other lady also, sorry I forgot your name, as well as Flo. I also appreciate your humility in relating the bad time some of you guys give me but what the heck, it's all in fun. Just glad it didn't get too deep.
 
well, I must confess...

that I was somewhat less than lady-like in my choice of language this morning.

someone brought me a free horse. :rolleyes: sigh. like I NEED another horse.

however. its WINTER. and there's a freekin big snowdrift at the bend in my LOOOONG laneway. of course, since he was driving a wimpy silly Silverado with **** tires, he BURIED the truck and got both truck and trailer stuck big time.

I wasn't even expecting the guy. so, after some fair bit of me turning the air blue while I tried to get him out {no tractor}, we unloaded the horse, {an unbroke, unhandled 2yr old COLT. as in, he still has his manly bits}. get him in the barn. I convinced he who shall not be named to unhook his truck and we managed to get it out of the way. Then I had to hook up MY truck, { a REAL truck, with power and guts, and good tires. Toyota Tundra. I love my truck.} I haul the trailer out, turn it around, haul it BACK through the huge drift, and drive it to the road. Then we had to get HIS truck through the drift.

two shovels, and much use of colourful language were involved. But we got him through.

switched trucks, and now I have an extra mouth to feed. He'll be cute when he's had some handling. might make something of him.

is it spring yet?
 
Evenin' Gents and Ladies---

Jim, Bob I'm lucky in that the office is upstairs and with a set of doors. Once I'm in there NOBODY goes in there--although 'Spring' will stick a paw under the door and beckon with the paw---come come---today he just curled up by the door and went to sleep:)

Next week we take the tree down--I still have Audreys brother and sister in law coming down with all their stuff---they got delayed when SIL clocked the back of her head in a fall off the stairs in their home--now she be all OK--:):)
 
Hey David! How the heck are you? :D Don't ya just love this forum? I know I do! And you're right. 'Sandy' is an adrogynous name. When I was a kid, the only other Sandy I'd ever heard of was the older brother on "Flipper".
Actually...it's Sandra...but ewwww! Absolutely does NOT suit me :p

Talked with my brother today. The ortho surgeon told him that his break ranks in the top 10 the doc has ever seen. They are probably going to do surgery on Thursday if the swelling continues to go down. They will remove the cage and cut straight up the front of his leg and lay it open. The dr. will remove any bone that is not large enough to 'work with' and will pin the rest together and cover it all with a metal plate. Within 90 days they should know what Bill's range of motion will be. Because he has been a runner for many years, the prognosis is pretty good. Prayers are appreciated. :)

LTF...another horse!? How many does that make? Can you post a photo of the new one? Don't know how you do it! :)

Bob...my dad worked on the flight line for a bit in the AF. He also worked in Nuclear Medicine. We were stationed at Shaw in Sumter SC, Weisbaden Germany, Ent CO, Tinker OK, and before my time, they were in Japan and TX. My younger brother flies F16s...and is a pilot evaluator out of Randolph S.A. TX. I have an nephew (Air Guard) of of Indiana (KC 135) and his younger brother is at McConnell in Wichita (and I am embarrassed to say that I am not sure if he is KC 135 or C120...something. BAD Aunt Sandy!!) Had an older brother stationed at Luke (AZ) for a few years, one at Scott (IL) and one at Pope (NC).

Someone mentioned to Jim the other day that you don't forget where you have been stationed. They were dead on! ;) And that is just a family member's perspective.


Hey...all y'all ;) Alabama folks...Stay warm!!! Sounds like some weather is headed your way. Supposed to get to 19 for the high here tomorrow. I don't remember too many winters being this cold, this long.

Have a great evening!

Sandy
 
Glendia settled her dad into another rehab facility last Sunday. He seems to be doing OK under the circumstances. He had his 2nd Chemo treatment today. The 2nd was supposed to be last week but the Doc doing the Chemo said he was not strong enough yet to due so the one week delay. Even today before his treatment he was given and IV because he was somewhat dehydrated. Glendia said it took over 4 hours today because of the IV. Normal time is less than 3 hrs. We also got a call at 12:30 this morning(I hate middle of the nite phone calls) telling us that they had to call the Doc because they did not have the stuff that he had been getting in his feeding tube so to change to something they had to get confirmation for the Doc. Glendia said that they are required to call when ever they have to do something different than what is scheduled. That is a good policy because then we know everything that is going on. Overall things seem to be progressing fairly well considering all that he has been thru since Dec 12th.
 
Sandy, the KC135's are at Grissom, I believe, just 20 minutes west of us(if I'm the one driving). Fort Wayne has the AG's F16's. A little known fact, Fort Wayne(Baer Field) is on the list of places that the shuttle can land if needed. Wouldn't THAT be something!!

The KC135's are one of the oldest planes in the AF arsenal. And I don't think they will be replaced any time soon. Great aircraft.

I've got two nephews tht are "fly guys". One Navy, flying F18's, and the other in the USAF flying F16's. Both are overseas.

Bob
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top