Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, its 16 degrees here, feels like minus 2 with 40 mph gusts.

Global warming my butt!!!! :eek:
Actually that's about right for global warming. People seem to have this thought that global warming will make the cool northern areas a tropical paradise. Actually it rather goes the other way. It gets warmer at the poles, the ice sheets melt, the massive infusion of cold fresh water into the warm salt water current taking warm water from the gulf of Mexico up the east coast and across the Atlantic to Europe causes this vital current to shut down. Without the movement of this warm water the east coast of the US becomes much cooler. Canada, Greenland, Nova Scotia, England and Europe are the first to feel the bite of a new ice age. The poles, which had been warming, now get colder and the ice sheet advances further south than it's been in 10,000 years. The white coloration of the ice reflects the suns rays back into space making the northern climes even colder. The midwest farm belt becomes too cold to grow crops. In a panic, people make a rush for the southern border and invade Mexico and Central America. Paints a grim picture doesn't it.
 
Oh Man!!! Ken, that is really a bad break. I feel so very sorry for the pain and misery Vicky has and wish her a quick recovery. Dang it hurts just to look at it!

JIM....>David, I thought it would be neat to have a foothills layout and simulate the fog and low clouds hanging on the hills on the backdrop. Probably could do it with a photographic backdrop but painting the effect would be tough.
Easy to do: Insert rotary cutter into puff ball trees.:eek::D:D:D

Jeff>...., people make a rush for the southern border and invade Mexico and Central America.
That certainly will be different!
 


Good Afternoon

Spent a good part of the morning doing the snowblowing thing and the shoveling thing at church and then more snowblowing at home and-------

We got another foot of the dang stuff this morning so we now have about 3' on the ground-----CHRIS!!:):D How'd you like some of this white stuff we have?!:) Good prices too!!:D:D:D

Oh, the temperature ain't too bad here---right now we are at -8C with 50kmh winds from the Northwest giving us the windchill at -17C. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna see whether I get a chance to inspect the insides of my eyelids this afternoon------:rolleyes::):)

CULTR:D:D
 
RDRAM is not proprietary of Dell; Intel included support for the RDRAM in their Pentium 4 motherboards. In fact, the hardware in the high end Dell computers are all standard components of suppliers (not including monitors) and the same can be found in many different brands of computers. Many of the lower end Dells (and other name brands) you can find at Wal Mart, Target, etc, can contain components that have been specifically designed for that unit or are just plain cheap. The one thing about Dell online: you want a cheapy, pick out the components. You want a high end: you can pick the best. BTW: Dell does not manufacture any component, only assembles the computer.

I did find out the main reason for the higher cost RDRAM was in the manufacturing and with few companies buying the license to make them. The cheaper to make DDR technology finally improved enough to start replacing them in mid 2000's. They are still used and made today, but few companies make a motherboard to support them. Note: I found a place that sells them @ $147/gig....still too danged high!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll stick with DDR2 at under $40 a gig. Every Dell computer I've worked on would take ONLY a Dell board. No other board would fit because the standoffs were all in the wrong places and the back of the case had to be cut to accept plugs the on a generic board. I quit working on them because they were too much trouble and at the end of the day not many people want to pay the high cost for parts to fix a five year old Dell computer. I have one here that I bought years ago. It could still work but would cost over $600 to fix and it only needs a processor and a power supply, but the power supply is proprietary and nobody makes it anymore and the processor costs a small fortune. No thanks. I'll never get another Dell. In fact I'm gonna chuck my old one out in the trash tomorrow. It's so old it uses DIMM 64 PC100 memory. I don't think that could be gotten cheaply anymore.
 
RDRAM is not proprietary of Dell; Intel included support for the RDRAM in their Pentium 4 motherboards. In fact, the hardware in the high end Dell computers are all standard components of suppliers (not including monitors) and the same can be found in many different brands of computers. Many of the lower end Dells (and other name brands) you can find at Wal Mart, Target, etc, can contain components that have been specifically designed for that unit or are just plain cheap. The one thing about Dell online: you want a cheapy, pick out the components. You want a high end: you can pick the best. BTW: Dell does not manufacture any component, only assembles the computer.

I did find out the main reason for the higher cost RDRAM was in the manufacturing and with few companies buying the license to make them. The cheaper to make DDR technology finally improved enough to start replacing them in mid 2000's. They are still used and made today, but few companies make a motherboard to support them. Note: I found a place that sells them @ $147/gig....still too danged high!


Hi Rex,
One of my business besides the Foothill Station MRR Supplies has been Computer, Software & Products in which I handled all types of products. Memory being one of them but due to all the poast events I personally been involved in dealing with my Mothers situation I've been out of touch with the computer stuff the way I was.

What you said before is very correct in that Dell, nor any of the other PC Mfgs produce their own memory, at least to my knowledge. The price you stated per Gig is about twice what the current retail price is. I just had to build a new system and installed a 2 Gig DDR3 memory card by Kingston Technology and paid $74.00 retail for it and thought that was high but it's also 1333 Mhz of speed or will handle that rate of throughput.

In the past as is possbly still the situation, Dell & Compac used poroprietary products to make it difficult to work on your own system as Jeffery also says and sometimes did some weird things to force individuals to purchase only through them. Compac went ass far as having a special power cord [from the wall] that pluged directly into the MB and was only available through them!

I'm inclined to think, but not certain, that other memory should be able to be utilized. I see a place called, 'MemorySuppliers.com' that advertied Rambus
memory but you need to know the spoeed your system takes or the type/ name of the Deminsion system you have so they can correctly match the memory to what you already have. The memory that is generally required is determined by the MB mfg and Dell may be pulling something funny here?

I would think though that other memory ought to be able to be used as it's hard to imagine they would have a tremendous number of special memory cards made up just for them??


A word or warning to everyone, DO NOT DEAL WITH TIGER DIRECT, they are a Rip-Off as they won't stand behind what they sell. Any bad poroducts and you play hell trying to get them to honor their statements and take the product back!


HTH
 
Thanks for the heads up on Tiger Direct. I have been looking at their site for a 32" LCD TV and possibly laptop. If they do not honor their statements I am better off to avoid them.
 
Last edited:
Thanks fir the heads up on Tiger Direct. I have been looking at their site for a 32" LCD TV and possibly laptop. If they do not honor their statements I am better off to avoid them.
I got my 37" LCD TV through Wal-Mart. It's brand name is Vizio. I've heard good things about them. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with mine.
 
Funny, I've bought a lot of stuff from Tiger Direct and from New Egg over the years,,,,,,,,,,,,,never had a problem. Even when we bought the wifes flatscreen from TG and it didn't work, we had an exchange unit in 2 days!
 


Thanks David, but Memory Suppliers wants $269 per gig for a Dimension 8200, 2.53G. http://www.memorysuppliers.com/list-parts.html?systemid=3345
Memorypig.com wants $185.

This memory is not Dell specific, but was a standard for Intel Pentium 4, 2.53 gig and all were setup to use this type of memory...at the time. I don't know for sure if any other can be used, but these prices are way too high for a 6 y.o. computer...oops 7 years old. I paid $45 for an extra gig at my computer friends store for the computer he built for me. BTW: Intel owned more than one million shares of Rambus. For more info, look up RDRAM on Wikipedia. There is a good article there.

Nuff about that thing: GOT a question.

I want to get a widescreen monitor for the MR computer, preferably ~22inch and I know nothing about them. All I need is a reliable widescreen for general use, not graphics work, not movies, not games.
I notice some say HD and some don't...difference?
Which is the best for the money?
Do I need a different video card?
How does an application window look/fill the screen without distorting the image?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, I've bought a lot of stuff from Tiger Direct and from New Egg over the years,,,,,,,,,,,,,never had a problem. Even when we bought the wifes flatscreen from TG and it didn't work, we had an exchange unit in 2 days!

I had a few things got through TG too-----no problemo here:confused:

Then I'm wondering if there is not something that the mfg has done to their own contract with TG? Like one has to go to the mfg directly?:confused:
 
Actually that's about right for global warming. People seem to have this thought that global warming will make the cool northern areas a tropical paradise. Actually it rather goes the other way. It gets warmer at the poles, the ice sheets melt, the massive infusion of cold fresh water into the warm salt water current taking warm water from the gulf of Mexico up the east coast and across the Atlantic to Europe causes this vital current to shut down. Without the movement of this warm water the east coast of the US becomes much cooler. Canada, Greenland, Nova Scotia, England and Europe are the first to feel the bite of a new ice age. The poles, which had been warming, now get colder and the ice sheet advances further south than it's been in 10,000 years. The white coloration of the ice reflects the suns rays back into space making the northern climes even colder. The midwest farm belt becomes too cold to grow crops. In a panic, people make a rush for the southern border and invade Mexico and Central America. Paints a grim picture doesn't it.


For me , the real grimness is that we are actually arrogent enough to think that we can stop global warming or cooling. Ice ages are nothing new, and they will continue to ebb and flow long after mankind is just a memory.

Sure, we can affect it, but stop it? Not a chance. And all this BS about carbon credits is just another way for an charletins, liars and cheats to rape the working class. Yes, they are targeting businesses, but the proverbial you-know-what always flows downhill, so who is the ultimate target? You and me.
Grim huh?
 
Thanks David, but Memory Suppliers wants $269 per gig for a Dimension 8200, 2.53G. http://www.memorysuppliers.com/list-parts.html?systemid=3345
Memorypig.com wants $185. Wow! I can get a 4 gb DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz 240-Pin SDRAM stick for $169 at Memory Suppliers. Probably get it a bit cheaper through my local source.

Nuff about that thing: GOT a question.

I want to get a widescreen monitor for the MR computer, preferably ~22inch and I know nothing about them. All I need is a reliable widescreen for general use, not graphics work, not movies, not games.
I notice some say HD and some don't...difference?
Which is the best for the money?
Do I need a different video card?
How does an application window look/fill the screen without distorting the image?
HD is for high definition. As long as the signal going to the monitor is HD it will be sharp and clear. However if it's a SD (standard definition) signal the image may be somewhat fuzzy. One of my neighbors had the same problem with his so he had a HD display board put in his computer.
 
Been taking it easy since returning from grocery shopping. I took a somewhat nasty backwards fall down the steps while bringing the groceries in. Nothing broken but I have a little scrape and a couple of bruises. I'm gonna be moving even slower for a couple of days than I usually do.
 
Rex, I use a 24" Flat-screen HD LCD monitor. I am amazed at the clarity, color, and definition(especially at the perimeter). I would buy anything else now, well maybe a bigger one, say 30".

I saw a 22" of 24" at Staples right before Christmas for $199, though I don't recall the manufacturer.

Jeffrey said you may need to install an HD board. Not necessary if you download the driver software.

Jeffrey, we are gonna change you name to Grace, as in "not Grace-ful". I guess you should be thankful you don't walk a tight rope for a living. Take it easy. And stay off roller skates.

larK, global warming is some idiot's way of showing us what idiots we are in believing that crap. Global warming is a natural phenomenon. Archeologists and geologists have made note of the Earth's habits for millions of years. Even Fred Flintstone had to endure a bit of nip in the air. And how arrogant can those who are leading the cause be to think that they can change their own drawers let alone the climate.

Off of the soap box now.

Bob
 
Say Rex,

Take a look at RDRam4less, they have many different cards available for considerable less than the PIG

Dimension 8200 8100 Elpida PC800-45 1024MB (1GB)
Sale price: $119.99
 
Nature Coast Temps.

Lecanto...........Right now 26*
Brooksville......Right Now 30*(My Neck of the woods)
Tampa............Right now 36*

They say it will get colder tomarrow:eek:! It don't sound that bad fer you thick blooded north polers! But when I let my dog out to P and he's gets stuck to the tree......thats cold!:)
 
Good morning folks

It was a crisp 22 F as I headed out onto the roadways this morning. High will be 32 F. There is again a biting wind that makes it feel a lot colder. It seems like we have had a cold wind since Christmas. I am hoping that the wind dies down by Saturday when my son has Winter Survival camping with his Boy Scout troop. Temperature is supposed to be a high of 29 F with a low of 15 F. We don’t need a cold biting wind on top of the cold temperatures. We may have to deal with some snow on the ground from Friday.

We did not do much this weekend. W e had to make a couple of short shopping trips to pick up some odds and ends. We helped my daughter on her book report for school that is due tomorrow. The report had to be on a biography and she selected Dwight Eisenhower. She worked most of the Holidays on the report and my wife and I reviewed it and suggested various corrections and revisions. Usually I do not complain about homework assignments but I feel that this report and the fact it was assigned over the Holidays was excessive. The micro-detail that is required and the fact that she has to make a poster board in the shape of a book are crazy. Some of the detail is that she has to write three sentences about each chapter. The book she choice was 16 chapters long with a forward and an introduction, which meant that she had to write 54 sentences. She then has to cut them out and post them to the poster board in a certain location. She then has to write a two paragraph summary on how the world would be if the person did not live. Each paragraph has to have exactly 6 sentences. Again this has to be posted to the poster board. She had to come up with ten words that describe the person and a picture to post on the outside of poster board book. Lastly she has to have at least ten pieces of clipart and post them somewhere on the poster board. While I can understand the chapter summaries and the last paragraphs, the limits on the maximum number of sentences (the teacher will dock the report points if you have too many sentences or use compound sentences) and all the arts and crafts part of the project make little sense and have driven my daughter ( and us crazy). She has worked about 4 to 8 hours a day on this report for the last week. It is a good thing we did not go away for the Holidays. I truly hope that this Language Arts teacher does not ruin my daughter’s love of reading. I have noticed that since she has been in this class her reading has decreased and she is complaining about the required reading.

I am learning more about the new camera and finally took some decent layout photos. I will post a few once I download them. I also began weathering wheels for 5 stock cars and 4 boxcars that have been sitting on the workbench for months.

My son is sick. He may have the flu. He started feeling bad on New Year’s Eve and spent most of yesterday sleeping on the couch. We did not send him to school today hoping that an extra day will allow him to get better. He is supposed to have basketball practice and a Boy Scout troop meeting tonight. I know basketball is out and we will have to see about the troop meeting. My daughter has her regular flute lesson tonight and a make-up lesson.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Good morning

Got those ol' "It's still doin' the snowsquall warnin' blues" for us---another foot of the stuff expected by tomorrow:eek::(---although it is winding down----I hope:mad::rolleyes::cool::cool:

Got told from work we's be doin' the work from home thing---startin' tomorrow--apparently we started to develop some electrical "issues" at the office over th week and now we be lookin' at electrical construction destruction there--:rolleyes::eek:

So. I's be don' some electrical work of my own on the layout today I befigures---:eek::):):D

Have a good one:D:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top