Coffee Shop Twenty is now open fer business

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks.

We had our first bout with the white stuff two days ago. It was slick enough to send the idiots into each other or the ditch. I couldn't believe how fast people were driving past our store. Everyone forgets how to drive in the snow until the first snowfall, then most figure it out. As far as the idiots driving around in six thousand pound grocery getters, you can't fix stupid!:D Oh well, when they hit the guard rail they'll be safe because they are driving a tank!:eek:

Maybe I should state how I really feel!;)

Have a great day everyone.
 
Good early morning, everyone.

...
CJ, the models were all wrong again. Our area was supposed to get the snow and, further north, they were supposed to get nothing. Instead, there's light snow from Birmingham north to Huntsville and all we got here was a trace of rain. The bulk of the moisture went went much further north than predicted and the temperature here is still 38 and probably won't drop any further. All the rain has now gone to our east. Even up in north Alabama, the most I've seen is one-half inch, and that will be gone by noon. Looks like the milk and bread panic was for nothing again.

See you guys sometime later today.

Jim,

Only thing the models were wrong with was the speed of the system. It moved much faster than predicted. Several places around us, like Bluff Park, which is a mile from my house, got almost 1.5". Homewood got almost two. What was strange was the "heavy" bands of snow were somewhat selective in where they fell. We got a dusting, while several places north, west and south, all within 5 miles of us, BTW, got more.

While this wasn't the earliest snow fall on record, its the earliest measurable snow since the start of our snow drought in 1998, which ended last year with 2 measurable snows. To hear the long range guessers, this could be just the first of several threats we'll see.

Now for all you yankees that are laughing at us rebs, snow here is a fairly rare event, esp the past 10 years, and we have always treasured what we do get as magical.
 
Jim,

Only thing the models were wrong with was the speed of the system. It moved much faster than predicted. Several places around us, like Bluff Park, which is a mile from my house, got almost 1.5". Homewood got almost two. What was strange was the "heavy" bands of snow were somewhat selective in where they fell. We got a dusting, while several places north, west and south, all within 5 miles of us, BTW, got more.

While this wasn't the earliest snow fall on record, its the earliest measurable snow since the start of our snow drought in 1998, which ended last year with 2 measurable snows. To hear the long range guessers, this could be just the first of several threats we'll see.

Now for all you yankees that are laughing at us rebs, snow here is a fairly rare event, esp the past 10 years, and we have always treasured what we do get as magical.
The last time we had snow in Central Florida was 1990. People's pipes froze, rolling blackouts, and snow on the ground. St. Petersburg was paralyzed for days, right at Christmas time, too. I remember it well, because a good friend of mine (Chester Holley, Chester Holly Trains in Tampa) was at the very top step heading upstairs to his bedroom when the lights went out. He fell down the stairs, breaking his leg, and never recovered from it.
 


Carey/Jim: Anytime the weather guys say, "...a tricky forecast.", our chances are slim.

Well, if we got any flurries, it was in the wee hours. We had a light rain at 0130, but our temps didn't drop that much until around 0500; from 35 to 32 (course, I have seen it wet snow pretty good at 38.)

JIM: Sorry Prattville HS came up short in their championship game. I saw the highlights and Hoover got some huge breaks in the game.

Been trying to finish up on the cardboard form for some more hills on the layout. I got tired of seeing all the plywood and framing. Got one heck of a ballgame today at 3PM CST: #2Alabama vs. #1Florida. Hopefully, it will be one of the best games of the season.

GO BAMA! ROLL TIDE!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The last time we had snow in Central Florida was 1990. People's pipes froze, rolling blackouts, and snow on the ground. St. Petersburg was paralyzed for days, right at Christmas time, too. I remember it well, because a good friend of mine (Chester Holley, Chester Holly Trains in Tampa) was at the very top step heading upstairs to his bedroom when the lights went out. He fell down the stairs, breaking his leg, and never recovered from it.

Ya, i remember that! That's when I worked for Wally World and Drove old Smokey the Ford POS LTD! Ahhhhhh, Chester Holley them were the days you and go train shoping and die or get high from Gasoline fumes! :D Any one else been there?
 
Man, What a morning! I was woke up at 4:30am by my wife saying, "We got to take Ryan to the Hospital!" He was complaining that his stomach hurt. So I told him and my wife he needs to Take a HD-BM!:rolleyes: My wife insisted that it was something else......So off we went to the Hospital. 6 hrs of test and MRI's to find out.......











































I was right!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::rolleyes::) The kid finished off the left over Baked beans we had for dinner before bed, I was the only one that knew that the BUSHES Spicy Baked Beans was kicking his butt wanting out!:p I bet my wife that I was right, now she's got to cook dinner tonight!:p:D And I got home still mowed two yards and work on that flower bed of ours. Now I'm flat whooped, Nappy time fer me!;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
"I'm dreaming of a wh---" UGH! Forget that, I'm not a young'un anymore:rolleyes:

Everything outdoors here in the Mid'lantic is caked in white. The dart-throwers were calling for 1 to 3 inches total accumulation on grassy surfaces. So far I'd say about 4 inches has fallen, and the roads are completely covered! *FAIL*

I'm trying to drag my lazy butt out to the garage and haul some more shelf-clutter into the attic, but I just can't seem to find the energy. Maybe it's because I'm afraid I won't have the money I'll need for new track, since I just spent over $800 to get the windshield wiper motor and the water pump repaired on my Durango.:mad: Oh well it's too late, I've already started tearing down the layout and there's no turning back now. So hopefully between now and March, I can find some way to get the new track and materials I'll need via begging, borrowing and scheming.

Chris - sorry you had to pay those E/R bills, but I'm glad at least that your boy is OK.

Corey - I always wait several hours after it has started snowing before I'll drive in it. That way like you said, the idiots will already have spun their cars into ditches so there will be fewer of them to contend with! And the plows/salt trucks will have made their first rounds.

Rex - "Roll tide!", I'm sipping hot choclate from your Bama mug as I type this post.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All...

Just back from church. Grabbed a turkey wrap and am headed out to Longmont for a Christmas program. My sister is singing so it will be good! :)

Then heading to Denver for a friend's bday dinner. Sheesh! Busy day!

Supposed to snow again tonight into tomorrow. GOOD! 'means it will be warmer! Finally made 30 today! It's a tropical heatwave!

Everyone who is going to be out and about....be careful! 'specially in the snow! (and ice).

Sandy
 
HAH!! We did not see even a coupla snowflakes up here---:D

Now, if'n you went about 40 minutes north of here--or the Huntsville region--anywhere north of Toronto---there you would see snow ----and lots of it.----AAAAAAAAAAANNNDD!!---ditchdivers!!:eek::D:D:D

This is one of those years for us---we sometimes will refer to the London region as the Miami of the North---simply because we can get rain--but ev'body else be gettin' the white stuff:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Got out from the university earlier than I thought--everyone be up to their eyeballs in homework for tomorrow now----:eek:
 


It's 41 here. Supposed to get down to 31 tonight. With the wind coming off the lake that'll be about 24. I'll be having the heater on tonight.
 
Rex...Congrats! Woohoo!

Had a great day today. Tomorrow 17 degrees for the high. Ahhh...must be Colorado!

Have a great night!!






Beautiful sunset tonight!
 
Up too late again. Dang, I think that might have been the best game I've ever seen Alabama play. Almost total domination right from the start. I told my daugter that the Tide had this one wrapped up after the first three minutes. Florida seemed to be both confused and disspirited. This time, every disputed call went Bama's way for once, in addition to the team playing at the top of its form. I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive but that ten minute crying jag of Tebow's at the end was a little much. I know he's a senior and all but I think Florida (and Tebow) thought they were preordained for the BCS title this year. Well, life ain't fair, so man up, and save your tears for the locker room, not on national TV. I never thought I'd say this, but Auburn actually played us better than Florida.

The one thing I don't like is we have to wait over a month to play Texas. Lots of time for partying and losing focus in a month. I hope Saban can keep the team discipline together.

CJ, the models getting the timing wrong was the key as to why we got no snow and the places that wren't supposed to get snow did. Pretty big failure in the models. I like a little snow but Dianna has told me about some of the ice storms she's been through. That I don't look forward to at all. Sounds like a time that the RV in the driveway with a full tank of propane to run the generator and furnace might come in real handy. I figure I can last five days on a combination of batteries and generator if I have to run the furnace 8 hours a day, I hope Alabama Power can get things going by then.

Sandy, nice pictures, but it's 30 degrees here now, which is getting near the limits of what a human can tolerate before death sets in. :)

Chris, poor kid, those baked bean backups can really hurt sometimes. Watching the game probably would have relieved the pressure better than an ER trip. I'll be looking forward to those gator filets you'll be sending up our way. :D

If I don't get to bed, I'll never get up for church so I'll sign off and see y'all tomorrow.
 
Good Morning---

Jim Tebow going into a 2 yr old cry session must've looked really off---but then what happened--they lost---oops:):)

Getting stuff ready for today's seminar sessions---and then doing some MR stuff on the layout tonight----have a bunch of stuff to do on Monday so---it's going to be pretty busy around here--

Have a good one people---
 
Good morning. It's 33 here and mostly cloudy. Thankfully no white stuff. The high will be in the mid 50's and it will be partly cloudy.

Nothing on the schedule today accept rest and watch some old movies. I also have to look over the paperwork I got from the Deer Creek hospital. I'm in the wound care program there. Going there rather than the clinic makes it easier to get any lab work, X-rays and exams done as all the equipment will be right there. Deer Creek is only 1/8 of a mile from the clinic so it's not out of my way. My first visit there will be Tuesday. The high point yesterday was having dinner with my parents. We pigged out on chili dogs. I've got my morning dose of antibiotics laying up here on the layout extension so they can warm up for about an hour. So far the new heater is showing itself to be a good investment. It hasn't dropped below 70 in here yet.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/PC060253.jpg
 


Too bad Bama, Florida and Texas all did not lose. Would be nice to see some other teams get some publicity instead of the same ole ones year after year. OK, Neb, Ohio St, Michigan, ND. It is nice to see Boise State and TCU mentioned in the upper regions. All the publicity given to a lot of teams has turned me off to watching very many sporting events period.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top