Afternoon, all. Hope everyone is having as good a day as the can.
Phillip, I'm sorry to hear that things didn't go exactly as planned with the doctor but maybe she will end up on the right side of the fence on this one. I know what you mean about wishing you could take this all from her.
Jim, you remind me of an X brother-in-law that originated from Michigan. He complained constantly about Alabama, from the weather to the politics. One day I had enough and asked him why he is still residing in the state after 25 years, even told him love it or leave it. His reply was, "Oh, don't misunderstand, I like it here."

(BTW: I would leave it, but haven't found any other state that was different, just not as obvious.

)
Rex, since I married a native girl, and she likes Alabama, I don't think I'm going anywhere else soon.

It's not a matter of liking or not liking Alabama, it's a matter of adapting. I'm learning how to adapt to the weather, the politics, the graciousness of most of the people here, and the fact that I can things done fast or I can get them done right but I can't both and, if it's from the the state or local government, I can't get either.

As you say, most place have just as many warts (which is why I left California) but Alabama does a better job of putting their warts on display sometimes.
Ray, those are very cute cookies and I'm sure they taste as good as they look.
Corey, getting an actual paycheck will be a nice change from struggling to get some cash out of your business. Now you get to do the fun part of model railroading - make a new empire in your head.
Alco, that so-called tropical storm will never make it Florida and certainly won't give us any rain. It's just a normal subtropical low that the NWS gave a name to try and get their numbers closer to their predictions for the year. Hurricane forecasting has become more smoke and mirrors than science.
Carey, I hope you start feeling better soon. I suspect the NWS is overdoing the strength of that front for the weekend as far as we are concerned. There might be a little white stuff in the hills in far northern Alabama but the front is doing a good job of blowing itself out over the Midwest. It sure looks impressive on radar though. As long as the cold air gets here after the tropical air has already left, we should be OK but I'm still concerned about a tornado outbreak. I guess we just don't have the population concentration to get a decent train show. Too bad because someone would sure get a lot of my money.

Did you ever see the movie "My Cousin Vinny"? They have a great scene about instant grits and Southerners.
Tom, you can keep the 38 degrees but we'll take some of your rain. I hope the folks in the Midwest are surviving these ice storms as best they can. We had a few when I lived in Cleveland and no power for five days isn't a lot of fun.
It's sunny and warm down here in Dixie again with a temperature of 83. The record for today is 81 so we've already blown through that. The all-time record for December is 85 and I think we've got a good chance at that one if we don't get too many cumulus cloud buildups. I finished up my billboards this morning and they do add that realistic touch to a town scene from that indeterminate era of the 50's through the 70's. I'd really forgotten how common billboards were until I realized things didn't look right because I didn't have any.