Coffee Shop Part VII is now OPEN

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks

It finally felt like late October this morning. It was a brisk 36 F as I left this morning. It looks like we may have to crack up the heater soon. Toady we should reach 55 F. I now have to keep a watch on the frost and freeze warnings. Tonight I will probably have to sink the pond plants in the final bit of winterization for the fish pond.

It was another nutty weekend. On Saturday we had Cub Scout Fitness Day. My son tied for first place for our pack. On Sunday his football team lost their final game of the season. The wife dragged me around a couple of stores looking at carpet. You know no good can come of that.

No modeling this weekend. Now that football and basketball are over we have basically nothing until basketball starts again in January I should be able to get more modeling time.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
It is a balmy 34 here in the Heartland. After yesterdays work load my wife expects it again today so I will hopefully get the tiller out and work the garden area. That will take care of a couple of hours and then I will do something that I want. HMMMM wood shop or train room that is going to be a tough decision for me. The wood shop has taken over as my favorite hobby the past year so it is time to get the Digitrax Super Empire Builder system hooked up and going. I have had the system for over two years and it is basically still in the box. I need to reread the big book of DCC and see how much wiring I really need to change over so the Empire Builder works properly.
 


Good morning.

Just more layout work for me today. I got to get started on the scenery for the north-east corner. It's pretty bare.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 10/29/2007

Wind Chill: 46°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 46°F

So Far Today
High: 56°F
Low: 49°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph NNE

Today High: 75 Mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s. Northeast winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 50 Partly cloudy. Lows around 50. North winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

P1010001-24.jpg
 
What up all?

Kinda chilly 'round here this morning! In the low 30's when I got up. It's a brisk 36 now! Time to break out the Bermuda Shorts!

Congrats Rex!

Jim, prayers for you and yours.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Fellas ! Yes by now you all know it is a bit cool outside .It hit 31 last night but don't know how the plants took it yet ! Rex Happy Belated Anniversary ! Off to doctor for a flu shot so have to run . you all have a nice day !!!!!!!
 
Mornin' everybody! Nice to see the shop full.

Jim, I too know way more than I ever wanted to know about Leukemia. Very sorry about your wife. I guess we both know the roller coaster ride that happens to everyone concerned.
 
Mornin' fellas!:)

Nice and cool here today. Big coffee there Flo, feeling a little cold. Went to upper 40's at my house last night and wifey is coming off HRT and having some hot flashes, ssoooo the 'winders', (southern pronounciation of windows),;) have to stay open! I'm freezing and shes sweating!

Spent the weekend visiting daughter in Little Rock this past weekend, and the trip has me worn completely out!:( As late as 6 months ago, a trip like that was like water on a duck's back. Not now. Must be gettin' old or sumpin'. Spent part of the afternoon Saturday at One Track Mind over there, and it is a very, very nice shop! Haven't been in one that good since Roy Keeley's shop in Mobile burned down in 1979. 3000 sq ft, real good selection, no hurry to be pushed out the door after a purchase. My kind of shop! Now if I can just find a way to get to Little Rock and back without it wearing me out, I'll be hitting Mark's shop more often!:D
 
Morning all! I feel like buying a cup for all...and a donut.

Thanks all for the congrats. I'm sure glad I remembered to buy a dozen roses. I forgot about it being Sunday and local shops don't deliver then. After I explained that my wife was working and how I wanted her to have the surprise there, the lady at the shop thought it was so SWEET of me, she would go in from home and make the delivery. Ah-shucks:o ! Now, wasn't that nice. I might have to smile all day knowing business people still have feelings.;) :) :)

Carey, I got news fur'ya, a 6 hour driving trip would wear anyone out.:rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good early afternoon, everyone.

Rex, that's one of the really nice things about Alabama. In general, the people here still have a heart and will go out of their way to do something nice like that. Quite a change from people who would step over you in the streets in California.

Carey, I know what you mean about getting worn out from long drives. A 12 hour drive used to be no big deal. Now just two hours to Birmingham makes me tires. :) Still, six hours to a GOOD hobby shop...not bad for those of use stuck in the MR desert here. BTW, have your wife try some Soy Isoflavones. You can buy them over the counter in the herbal medicine section of most drugstores. There's some very good evidence that Soy Isoflavones are just as effective for treating hot flashes as HRT without all the side effects. Dianna has been using them for about four months and her hot flashes have decreased dramatically.

Ray, indeed, I'm convinced that those of us who've had to deal with leukemia get to be better at understanding it than most doctors. Going through the stem cell transplant and then not having it work must have been awful. I feel for you. I know that, even after 20 years, she's still there with you in spirit.

Paul, 31 is a bit cool? What do you call it when it gets down to zero. :eek: The low here was 47 and I thought I'd freeze to death. Phillip, thanks for your prayers and the same for you. I guess you and Paul must think that temperatures in the 30's are just peachy. :p

Howdy, Jeffrey. Those are certainly some impressive headlights. I'm assuming they must all be incandescent since none of my LED's are anywhere near that bright.

Larry and Tom, you should get together with Paul and Phillip and swap "brisk" weather stories. It's 71 outside my window now, which is about as brisk as I want to get. Larry, I dunno about that wood shop idea. The friends I have that are really into it have a work room filled with equipment that costs way more each than about three Big Boys and they are always knee-deep in wood shavings with their wives yelling at them to "Clean up that mess." :)

I'm cutting up some Masonite today in anticipation of my Instant Horizons backgrounds arriving from Walthers. It's going to 18 feet of backgrounds for the layout and that means I have to make three straight 36" cuts in that Masonite. Since making a straight cut more than about a foot long is a challenge, this should be real interesting.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Jeffrey, whats the brand on those lights? They're realistically, blindingly bright, and I'd love to make a test run.
 
Paul, 31 is a bit cool? What do you call it when it gets down to zero. :eek: The low here was 47 and I thought I'd freeze to death.

H

I can answer that for you..... Great Camping Weather! Just nice seasonal weather up here. Too blasted Hot down there where you live. :rolleyes: :p ;) :D Although I did get snowed in in North Carolina once many years ago while on the way to Flowiduh to be with my sister and her family at Christmas. That was definitely fun watching people who haven't a clue about snow trying to drive around in it. :eek:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon folks. It's seasonal temperatures around here. Lows in the thirties, highs in the fifties. I have to say, I enjoy when it cools off.
I was put to work this weekend at my mothers house. She wanted her bathroom updated so I got to replace the vanity, plumbing fixtures, medicine cabinet, and lighting fixtures. I also got to try my hand at installing glass tile on her wall around the vanity. The bonus of the weekend was when my aunt and uncle came to visit my mother for lunch. This is the same uncle that gave me most of my model railroad equipment. I was showing him some of my modeling efforts online when I mentioned that I needed an airbrush. He said that I could have is old one. Knowing how serious he was into modeling, I'm guessing it's a pretty nice airbrush. Score one for the good guys! Now I just need to get an air compressor. I hope everyone has a good day.:)
 
Afternoon Alll ! Jim this is the best time of the year . You go outside and you can smell Fall in the air . Dead leaves on the ground smoke for stoves and fireplaces , and the nice cool crackle in the air . You have to be here to experience that . And I love every minute of it ! Sit out on the patio with a cup of coffee and soak it all in !!!!!!Looks pretty darn good Josh !
 
Good early afternoon, everyone....


Carey, I know what you mean about getting worn out from long drives. A 12 hour drive used to be no big deal. Now just two hours to Birmingham makes me tires. :) ...

Trouble is, Jim, it has gotten that way in the past 4 months. 14-16 hour drives used to be nothing, (Mobile to NC). Now I get tired just driving wifey to the grocery store!:eek:

Edit; I now make her drive herself!
 
Afternoon Alll ! Jim this is the best time of the year . You go outside and you can smell Fall in the air . Dead leaves on the ground smoke for stoves and fireplaces , and the nice cool crackle in the air . You have to be here to experience that . And I love every minute of it ! Sit out on the patio with a cup of coffee and soak it all in !!!!!!Looks pretty darn good Josh !

Paul;

Lots of folks from, uuuhh how can I put it, 'Up Nawth' :D brag about their seasonal changes. Well we have 4 seasons here in Alabama too! Early Summer, Summer, Late Summer, and of course Next Summer.:D;):p
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top