ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Evening Folks! Just popped in to say hi from camp. Spent most of the day on a tour of the Tech Farm and NYS Experiment Station (Cornell University) in Geneva. Had several great presentations on current research in agriculture. Got back to camp and rode the Zip Line at the COPE course. Photo of the day from here:
Good morning.
I'd love to hang around here all day, but the boss wants me to come in and work this week. What the heck, I can use the extra money.
Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/1/2007
Heat Index: 79°F
Humidity: 99%
Dew Point: 74°F
So Far Today
High: 74°F
Low: 73°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph WSW
Thunderstorms are moving through Tyler...northern Jasper... And northern Newton counties in southeast Texas. These storms are moving to the southeast around 20 mph. In addition...these storms will move into the Louisiana southwest parishes of Beauregard... Vernon...and Calcasieu over the next several hours.
Today High: 90 Patchy fog in the morning. Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 90. Light and variable winds.
Tonight Low: 72 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.
We are having some hot weather but at least the humidity has gone down some. It is still not totally comfortable but at least it is tolerable. High is supposed to reach 93 F. It is currently 74 F and it feels like the A/C here in the office is having some issues this morning.
Work has been driving me crazy these past few days. I guess everyone knows I am going on vacation next week. Also I am doing my job and my counterpart’s job. He retired back in June and they have been very slow to post the opening. As a matter of fact it looks like I will be doing double duty at least for the next couple of months. My wife says it is the price I have to pay for being one of few old-timers who know what they are doing. In another words: No good deed goes unpunished. I am not sure which part disturbs me the most; the fact I know what I am doing or the fact that I am now considered an old-timer.
My son’s football practice went well last night. Tonight they get their equipment and tomorrow they start hitting. We will see how many quit then. In the past it has been usually around 10 to 20%.
No modeling last night. I have been working on trying to arrange our last Cub Scout outing of the summer. I thought I would spend an hour on it last night but it turned into an all night thing.
Good Morning All ! Just stopped by to say hello . Another beautiful day here in Buffalo , Hope that everyone else is having a nice day also. Ray looks like their having fun at camp . Take care all !!
Glenn: The last I heard about Carey was Saturday. His wife said he was suppose to get out of the hospital Sunday. He had been in for tests on his arm. She said he had RSD in it real bad. That is a strange ailment.
Stan: You should take Glenn up on his invite. He has a huge and spectacular N scale layout (full basement). It's the cattle prod that always bothers me .
Tom: (re: work.) I think the wife insinuating you're an "old timer" is what should bother you .
Ray: I'm enjoying your photos, particularly you dangling like a puppet .
So, the Wife is trying to get custody of her 10 year old youngest brother, and her 16 year old sister, because her mother cannot take care of them. Apparently the animals have been using the whole house as a bathroom, the fridge & sink are gone, and she's been using drugs!
Been in and out of here lately but I've been rather quiet about it. No particular reason, just popping in.
Looks like Ray is having fun! I'll have to try that one day.
I see a few people that I recognize from other places around here. Hi Jeff, Bill, Ken L., how are you all?
Been busy working on a "little" project the last week or so. Decided I needed a handcar for my N scale layout, so I've been scratchbuilding one. In case you've not tried it, let me tell you, those things are TINY in N scale!
Afternoon everyone, Ray are you doing all those activities, looks hard work to me. Rex pass on my best wishes to Carey will you sir. Philip how you doing
today was the boy scouts 100th aniversary here, a huge jamboree took place with thousands of children from all over the world attending this great event
Me...? Nah, I'm the one taking the pictures. I gave up that stuff years ago. If I came down that line, I wouldn't be able to walk for a week...... Today we went to Cornell U for the Mars Rover Lab, A Session with a Meteorologist, and then went to a Robotics Company that is making a robot that can climb vertical walls and even climb the underside of an airplane wing. The device is used for cleaning the inside walls of Nuclear reactors and checking the rivits on airplanes among other things. Totally Cool! Some photos later.
Things have been hectic at the office during the day, and I've been wracking my brain trying to make LEDs work with a great-sounding but otherwise crappy decoder. My time online has been spent posting SOS threads about this issue on various forums [including this one]. I'm leaving the laptop at the office tonite so there's even less likelyhood you'll see much of me in the coffeeshop, unless the family 'putor miraculously becomes available.
Hi Phillip, I'm doing fine, thanx for asking! Glad to see your new layout is taking shape, I still remember when you first moved into that house. Do you have a view of a CSX mainline from your front yard? I seem to remember you getting a bunch of pics from there...
Jeffrey - looks like you got an opportunity to finance some new mrr stuff, go for it!
Ray - that's a lot interesting stuff they're doing at the camp, keep those pix coming!
Rex - say hello to Carey from me and convey my wishes for a speedy recovery.
Josh - that's scary [and tragic] about your M-I-L, hope everything will work out ok...
Steve - if this is the Boy Scouts 100th anniversary, it must be one heluva party going on over there!
Tom - hope you get to see some trains on your upcoming vacation!
. . . and that's about it for tonite, y'all have a good'un!
Yeah, I got started and then I ended up very busy for a while. Seems the wife thought I ought to unpack boxes instead of build railroad. Go figure? (Some messed up priorities if you ask me!) I got back to it though and it's really starting to take shape.
Do you have a view of a CSX mainline from your front yard? I seem to remember you getting a bunch of pics from there...
It's getting smaller as they build more houses. I can still walk up to the park in the front of the neighborhood and take pics though. Besides, the walk does me good.
Evening Gang: I finally got the pasture mowed. Now I have to cut the Mesquite out and mow what's left. If anybody wants Mesquite wood for barbquing come on down. You can alll you can cut and haul.
Well it's bed time.
Good Night All
Hi all! A few photos of today's adventures at SciTek Camp.
How about a photo of a robot that climbs walls? This robot is engineered and made by a small robotics company in Ithaca, NY. It can climb straight up a wall moving over objects and even crawl underneath objects like an airplane wing. It has already been used to clean and refinish the inside of nuclear reactors to remove radioactive dust and sludge. It has grinding blades and sweepers that can be attached as well as many other attachments. They have used it with devices that can check the structural integrity of an airplane as well as many other uses. Super cool! Here she is:
How about a rock from outer space? This is an iron meteorite on display at Cornell in the Mars Rover Lab:
We also learned about weather and how it is predicted (and why they are wrong so often). Then went up to the roof of one of the tllest building at Cornell to look around. Here we are (I'm the portly old guy in the white shirt with the beard):
May all our Vistas be bright! (The view from Ithaca, NY)
It looks like we are in another heat wave. High yesterday was 93 F, today it is supposed to 95 F, tomorrow 93 F. Basically it will be in the nineties through the weekend. Right now it is 78 F. The humidity is tolerable at the moment. We’ll have to see if it stays that way.
My son got his equipment for football last night. Tonight will be the first night of hitting.
Hold the press! I actually got some modeling done! I got back to weathering the trucks on seven tank cars. I added WS fine turf –earth to the farm house area to begin making the driveways.
Vacation in 5 days. High today in Curacao will be 92 F, partly cloudy.