Coffee Shop Part III

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


CJ: If you had come to SER-Steel City Division meeting last Thursday, you would have learned 2 different ways to hook up your turnouts. Sam Fell's clinic was exactly what you are looking for. He used a DPDT switch with a RC plane linkage and cable. Control knob could be 3' from the turnout and doesn't have to run in a straight line.

Maybe you will quit being anti-social for a while! LOL :p

Glenn

Actually, I've seen that clinic. :D Good ideas, but like everyone else's idea here, they assume just a couple of feet distance from where the operator is and the turnout. Unfortunately the distance is a good 6-8' away.:(

I'm trying to reproduce the system that was used on the old Mobile Society of Model Engineers layout from the 50's and 60's in Mobile. This consisted of a lever pulling on a single wire cable attached to the turnout. Pulling from the opposite direction was a homemade spring. The spring provided a self adjusting quality to the entire setup. To show how robust it was, the old MSME disbanded in 1969 and abandoned the layout intact. The MSME I was in reclaimed the old layout in 1982. The turnouts still worked perfectly after all that time. One of the members bought the old layout and moved it to his house. Even after this move the turnouts still functioned perfectly. The shortest distance to a turnout from its lever was 3' and the longest was 23'.
 


Any of y'all see one of these before? Yes, that's an open frame motor you see. The chassis frame is two pieces, upper and lower, the drive line is somewhat like Athearn, with metal gears.

oldbach.png


Believe it or not, this is the chassis of a thirty year old Bachmann that I recently converted to DCC. It was made in Germany in the 70's and I've seen very few like it.
 
Good morning and top 'o' the day to all of ye.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/24/2007

Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Wind Chill: 40°F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 38°F

So Far Today
High: 43°F
Low: 42°F
Rain: 0.01"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph N

High: 48 °F
Low: 35 °F

Now through 09:00 AM CST January 24, 2007

High: 48

Through 9 AM...light rain will continue over much of southeast Texas and southwest into south-central Louisiana. Widely scattered patches of light rain or drizzle will occur over central Louisiana into interior southeast Texas. Rainfall rates will average just a few hundredths of an inch...although areas of moderate rain over mainly southeast Texas will produce over a tenth of an inch. Over the coastal waters...rain will be widespread from Marsh Island Louisiana west to High Island Texas and out to 60 nautical miles.

Today High: 48 Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of rain. Highs in the upper 40s. North winds around 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 35 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain in the evening...then partly cloudy after midnight. Lows in the mid 30s. North winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

I'll have an omelet with all the fixings.

omelet.jpg
 
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Jeffrey!

There are little bitty white things fallin' out of the sky here this morning. Prediction for snow tomorrow. Looks like the Boy Scouts will be happy. District Klondike Derby is to be held on Saturday. Not much fun to pull your derby sled around in mud all day long.......

I started work on a Bar Mills Kit yesterday. Beautifully made and has great step by step instructions and a lot of suggestions for making it a "one of a kind" building. I will post some photos as I go along.
 
Morning Gang: Another day down and 9 to go. I'm going to take a sick day tomorrow so that takes care of another of those work days.
I got the mine building for the 2nd head frame covered with the coragated foil siding. It came out all right. I'm going to try doing some using scale 3ft wide sheets. It will be much more time consuming and I'm not sure that the effect will be worth the extra effort. I'll let you know.
The weather here is cloudy but in the 50s today. It's still abit humid so not the kind of weather that I'd want to be out in trying to do delicate work in.
I'm going to go down to the Gold River ride and work on the gold bullion room this afternoon. I want to get that done so it's out of the way. It's the first scene in the ride so it needs to look good.
Well I'm going to finish lunch and read some in the MRP 2007. Take care.
 
Afternnoon All and morning to all you people west of me. We had about an inch of snow yesterday. And today is a nice crisp day with sunshine. Gonna take a look at my railroad and try to get something done. It's a bit hard haven't felt all that well lately but maybe will be some good therapy. Oh well have a real nice day all !!!
 


Jeff - You probably need jaws like Dan Akroyd's character in the "Coneheads" movie to bite into that sandwich!

Texas Paul - Any chance of posting some pix of that minehead building? BTW, be sure to get yourself plenty of rest when you take that sickday...;)

Buffalo Paul - I can relate, sometimes I'm so exhausted when I get home from work, I have to force myself out to that trainroom. But I'm always glad once I get there. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Afternoon Paul, Paul, Jeffery, Ray, Ken

Jeffery, i'll take two of the dagwood specials i think, no make it three i'm peckish today.

We also got itty bitty white things falling from the god's

Ken Coneheads is a funny film
 
Hi All:
Ken I'll have to send some pic's to you at your regular E-mail address. I still haven't tahght myself how to post pictures. Also the dial up I'm on is slow and since I'm RETIREING I won't have the high speed set up here at work. I think I'll miss that the most.
I'll take some pictures as soon as I get the time.
Time to hit the road. I'll see you all later.
 
Ken you have to laugh at the end where the big guy on the space ship is chewing the "chewing gum" LOL

Nicky went to visit grandad last night, he's in a bad way as he's fell and broke his hip, they put a new one in but it's a bit hit or miss if he will recover, they just whopped it in but his leg's not in line anymore, they had to rush it for health reasons. Apart from severe dementure he had a heart attack at christmas and now he's got some kind of chest infection as well poor guy.
 
Hi all been mainly reading not much to say
Hey Ken L (csx road slug) scored on a B&O (not chessie B&O) ABA shark nose from williams last night I'll use it to head up my 8 passenger cars in B&O

Have a good one all
 
Mornin' Bill! Good Morning for some donuts!

Mornin' RT, I saw you hiding over there in the corner. Flo, RT needs more coffee.

Snow, Snow, wonderful Snow!!!. May have to test out the snowblower today, but I'll wait 'til after the city plows in my driveway... Got about 3" of the stuff last night and snowing hard right now. Looks nice.
 
Good morning, how is everybody on this Thursday morning?
Yesterday I removed the old open frame motor from my antique Bachmann and shoe-horned a PPW can motor into it's place. There's a 300% difference.

oldbach1.jpg

Before

oldbach2.jpg

After

Now it doesn't sound like a pepper mill anymore.

Here's a scene that's been preserved from my old layout and will be a part of the new one.

First, in darkness.
scene-d.jpg


Then in the light.
scene-l.jpg


Now, on with the business at hand.


Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 1/25/2007
Sundown Fire Dept., Station 23

Wind Chill: 31°F
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 33°F

So Far Today
High: 41°F
Low: 37°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 8mph N

High: 59 °F
Low: 36 °F

Today High: 60 Sunny and warmer. Highs around 60. North winds up to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 35 Clear. Lows in the mid 30s. Northeast winds up to 10 mph.


For breakfast this morning, pancakes!
pancakes.jpg
 


Afternoon all,
nice work Jeffery, i have an old TriAng steam loco that requires a motor upgrade, i may have a look after seeing how you did with the old Bachmann.

A sad day today for us, grandad died this morning just after his breakfast,
got to make dinner now
later guy's
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top