Coffee Shop Part 10

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Morning everyone.

Spent some time clearing water out of the basement again yesterday. We were able to catch it soon enough that we could stay on top of it with a wet/dry vac so no real harm done. Two bits of carpet that needed replaced anyway so no big deal.

Slow and steady, steady and slow with the enginehouse. Roof is done...hopefully work on the walls today. :rolleyes:
 
Mornin' everyone!

Looks like another beautiful day here in the Finger Lakes. The weatherman is calling for: Abundant sunshine. Very warm. High around 80F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. I got up and dug oput the fan for my bedroom window as it is already 75*F inside the house. Thought I'd try to get some of the heat out of the house before this afternoon. By that time I will head for the basement to cool off and work on the layout.

Finished the Milk House last night, so sometime today I hope to get it installed on the layout and finish some of the scenery next to it. The little tiny "n" scale horse and wagon I ordered for parts for the silo blower arrived yesterday so last night I also finished assembling the blower and primed it. I need to create a belt for the tractor and blower and then get the final paint job on it and that will complete the scene.

Have a good one!
 
Good Morning from the "Sunshine State " at least for today . Buffalo has the second least amount of sunshine in the USA forgot who is first . But will take it as it lasts . Suppoe to break a record for heat today . Gonna get up over 80 . Will wait and see have that big cooler over the shoulder so will see. gotta get out and enjoy this day so hope everyone else has a nice day also !!!
 


Afternoon,
could do with some of that sunshine here, we went to North Wales to see 6201 come through, boy it was cold and very windy, straight from Siberia, Brrrrrr. Then off to see the second steam special, which we missed as it was running 2 - 1/4 hours early, oh well, at least we saw one.
 
Nice work on the videos Steve. Should have added a bit more music on the modern one. Good stuff. :cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I finished the leadership course at 12:05 pm today. 8-) When I left, our fire chief, asst chief and several others were still going through pump-ops training out in afternoon Louisiana sun. Wish I was out there. NOT!!! :D
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Just got through doing a major overhaul of the aquarium. I was getting an uncontrollable algae bloom the filter couldn't handle so I did a complete water change, cleaned all the gravel, and treated the water to get it back to the right PH. I've got all the plants and rocks soaking overnight in cleaner to remove the algae and I'll put everything back in tomorrow. This is a continuing problem because the only place for the aquarium is in the living room next to two windows. I keep the blinds closed but the algae will still build up. The strange thing is that I've had about 5 algae eaters and they all die. Should be plenty of food for them. I've also used algaecide with no effect. I've got a Magnum 350 filter, which should have plenty of capacity to handle a 50 gallon tank. If any of you other aquariasts have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Jeffrey, I know what you mean. We just had an ICS 100 and 700 course at church because the Feds want everyone who's going to be involved in disasters to know the organization and terminology. It's a good idea since we will be doing feeding and sheltering and a hurricane is always a possibility here. I've already taken all these courses numerous times so ICS is like a second language to me - I'm even certified to teach ICS 400, which is five days long. I tried to help the folks taking the test because some of them were totally confused. The woman teaching the course had never taught to a group that had no ICS experience before and she really made things more difficult than they had to be.

Ray, you must have one honkin' big chain saw and a big log splitter to handle all that wood. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it. :) It should make for some nice fires once it seasons out though. All I have is one of those gas log fireplaces and I hate it. It's supposed to be better since it has a fan and will heat the living room, at least, but I like building my own fires. Too much of the Boy Scout left in me, I guess.

We had our rain last night but the whole thing consisted of three flashes of lightning. We were lucky since the same line of storms did cause tornados in Mississippi but it was falling apart by the time it got here. We did get three-quarters of an inch of rain so that, combined with no severe weather, is about as it good as it gets during spring in Alabama. Nice clear day today with a high of 78. We are starting to approach that season here where "cold" fronts are actually "slightly less hot" fronts :D
 
Its great to see everyones doing well (i just skimmed the last 100 posts, its been a few months since i was in) so i hope all is well!

No modeling, the basement is still not drywalled, but the plastic and computer de-manufacturing factory I opened is doing WELL. I thought it was going to be a nice CLEAN change of venue from the construction industry, BOY WAS I WRONG! what a filthy bussiness!!!!

My wife has finally settled down about all the "junk" i have been collecting over the last few years to start this as she sees that it is actually worth something!

I do enjoy the one thing the most about this: we have "drives" where people "donate" there plastics and computers, and instead of paying them the scrap price, we choose a family in need or a non proffit to donate the money to.

what a great feeling that is. On monday i will be contacting the attorny of a local couple that is adopting a baby thats going to be born addicted to methodone, (the mother is an addict) and it will cost them over $200,000.00 to have the baby detoxed. I hope we can help them out with some of there expenses with a computer drive!

well thats whats new around my neck of the woods. Ryan
 


04-20-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

Menu3.png
waitress3.png
 
Good morning.

Cloudy and 54 degrees this morning. Expecting a high of 82 and partly cloudy.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/20/2008


Wind Chill: 53°F
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 49°F

So Far Today
High: 58°F
Low: 53°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph NNE

Today High: 82 Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds up to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Increasing clouds. Warmer. Lows in the lower 60s. South winds around 10 mph.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all!

Been having fun this weekend so far, but now I've got to hit the schoolbooks. Yesterday the wife and I went to lunch and did some shopping. Then we came home and took a 3 hour nap! My kind of weekend! We went to church last night and had a good time there, then out to dinner and home to just hang out. This morning I have to hit the books, and then I'll probably take another nap (I love weekends!). Grilling out and Bible study tonight and that should call it a day.

So what's up with you?
 
Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Jeffrey!

Mornin' Philip!!

Aaaahhhhhhh! I slept in this morning and won't make it to church I guess. I always tell my Pastors, "If I'm not there, just go on without me...". Hopefully someone showed up to run sound.

Yesterday I cut and split some of the maples that I was given, hence my oversleeping this morning. I also sold my old pop-up camper to the people across the street. He got it for next to nothing from me and will have to rebuild the entire roof, replace all the curtains and do some major other work to get it usable. The roof had started leaking several years ago and the old old tarp I covered with must have given out... Can you say, "Damp and mildewed?" It was good to find a home for it and get it out of my driveway!!!

I also did some more work on the farm scene and hope to have a couple new photos before WPF closes down for the weekend.

Currently 66°F here in the Finger Lakes with a high of 71°. That's more like my kind of weather. Too danged HOT yesterday (81° yesterday...).
 
I got a Bachmann Spectrum K4 (4-6-2) in the mail yesterday. Since I have no intention of running it I decided to use it's decoder in another loco. I decided to put it into my ALCO whatever-the-heck-it-is with the Kato drive. It now runs very well on DCC. The K4 will be used for the same purpose that I had envisioned for my light pacific before I traded it off. It will be a very nice looking exhibit for the park.
 
Jim

Do you have a heater? If the water temperatures goes up and down too much that will promote algae growth since the "good" bacteria dies off. We have problems with algae in my son's frog tank (2 /2 gallon tank) that has no heater. The 20 gallon extra high has a heater.

Also are the algae eaters Chinese algae eaters. Are gold or bronze with spots. If they are again they are sensitive to temperature change. Also for some reason they just seem to die off quickly.

Have you tried plecos? They seem to be indestructible. The current one we have is about 5 years old and 6 inches long. I have to pick him up with my hand to remove him from the tank when we need to. The one he replaced lived about 7 years. You have to feed them algae tablets. When there is algae in the tank I feed him less and when the tank is clear he gets more tablets.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Just got through doing a major overhaul of the aquarium. I was getting an uncontrollable algae bloom the filter couldn't handle so I did a complete water change, cleaned all the gravel, and treated the water to get it back to the right PH. I've got all the plants and rocks soaking overnight in cleaner to remove the algae and I'll put everything back in tomorrow. This is a continuing problem because the only place for the aquarium is in the living room next to two windows. I keep the blinds closed but the algae will still build up. The strange thing is that I've had about 5 algae eaters and they all die. Should be plenty of food for them. I've also used algaecide with no effect. I've got a Magnum 350 filter, which should have plenty of capacity to handle a 50 gallon tank. If any of you other aquariasts have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

:D
Jim simple but $$$ is get a 8 or 9 watt UV sterilizer this is a good one, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4393+7999&pcatid=7999 ! Put it in line with your 350. and say good bye to algae blooms! also limit your light to 12 hrs no more! Just go with the UV trust me it works!.....Jim that should help ton's!
BTW, forgot to mention what we did today!
Today my son and I spent the day Beach Hopping. We first went saltwater, we went ot Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs. The Air temp was in the low 80's and the water temp in the Gulf was a brisk 72 degrees! we went snorkling and found for our salt water aquariums 5 purple sea urchins, one cat eye snail and one scallop. we stayed to noonish......Then we finished the day at Buccaneer Bay water park! that is spring fed fresh water river it's temp was 72 degrees too, but thats a year round temp no matter what the air temp is! we swim our butts off, plan to do it again soon! the cold water helps my bad back, why i don't know.......but man is it refreshing. But in a few more weeks and the gulf water will be in the 80's.....sad. I like it refreshing!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon All ! Another beautiful day here on the Niagara Frontier ! Looke like it's time to put down the back patio's awning ! At leats that's what the wife tells me. have some nice shots of a layout on International Drive in Orlando . Will have a downlaod them and post some. that's about it. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend !!
 
Jim

Something else I forgot to mention; circulation. Algae tends to thrive in still water.

I have a filter on the back of the tank with the intake 2/3 of the way down. I also have a Power Head for an underground filter which is primarily for circulation and adding some oxygen. Lastly I have an air stone actually it is a tube.
 


Went to church this morning and then visited my parents. We were going to stop for lunch on the way home but I stopped at a local electronics store instead. Came home with a new Sharp Aquos 37" HDTV. Both of my son in-laws said to get a Samsung, Sony or Sharp because they are the are the most realiable of the LCD TV's. After comparing the pictures of all the LCD TV's we looked at those three brands had the best quality of picture. I am on an antennae and the picture on digital is much better than analog. $700 off list price as it was last years model but has all the bells and whistles the new model had finally sold me. I looked at another store yesterday before work and for $50 less the has a lesser model of a different brand that was nice but not the quality of picture this one has. Was not ready to really spend the money but Glendia and I decided that this was an offer to good to pass up. So I guess I am almost up to date on technology NOT but ahve a very nice looking peice of electronics sitting in the living room.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top