Chris, nice clean up job. I kind of like that display layout in the fish tank idea. It would be a nice thing to take around to things like nursing homes for Christmas to show the old folks some trains. Do me a favor though - take those guns down off the workbench wall and store them somewhere else. I know they are only paint ball guns but, if the cops get called to your house for some reason, seeing those would make my pucker factor would go up by about 99%. Sometimes, in the heat of a situation, our eyes don't always see reality and there's no point in making Florida cops more nervous than they already are.
Rex, you and I know that popping back some brewskis's and getting plastered is an integral part of watching football for a lot of people here. There are plenty of people sober who will get into a fistfight over their favorite teams. Alcohol just makes the fight more deadly. It's not something we should just write off as part of football season in Alabama.
Mikey, I'm sure your dad was just like mine. He did his duty, came back home, got married and had kids, and it was over as far as the war was concerned. I managed to get a copy of his boat's logs from 1943 to 1944 and they were out every night shooting up Japanese landing barges in New Guinea and the Solomon's. The Japanese had armored barges that were more heavily armed than the PT boats and they came back almost every night with a hole in the hull somewhere. They were routinely attacked by Japanese fighters as well. I'd have been scared to death the whole time but he treated it as just part of his job as little gear in the big wheel of the War.
David, sorry for your loss also. I do often think of my father often and hope I've turned out to be the man he wanted me to be.
Steve, I can't believe this:
<<Det Insp Groombridge appealed for anyone with information to come forward.
"Even those in or on the periphery of crime cannot surely condone this behaviour and I particularly appeal to the criminal fraternity to call time on this and do what is right," he said. <<
Surely he's kidding. The members of the crime "fraternity" (first time I've heard it called that) do this kind of thing every day and it's not a big deal to them. They'd beat up a defenseless old guy in heartbeat if they throught there was a few quid in it. Unfortunately,the British Government has made it so that everyone is defenseless but the thugs. I have the feeling that a 9mm on the bedstand would have "called time" to this incident long before the police got there.
Ray, an internal drive will be a lot more reliable than the external. Who would have ever thought we'd need a terrabyte of storage for our home computers?
Anyway, it was another nice day down here, with of 77 and a few high clouds drifting over from what I hope will be an approaching rain front. Things get a little tricky down here now as we start to head into out peak severe storm season so every front bears watching but this one looks like it may just give us some much needed rain...if it ever gets here. It's so dry that trees are starting to chase the dogs around.
