Coffee shop one-three

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
CJ, I'd vote for a bad neoprene drive train connector since the engine is making screaming noises. I had an Overland 2-10-2 with one of those neoprene tubes and it never ran right until I finally replaced it with a proper universal joint.

Jim;

That's what I was hoping for but, I'm never that lucky.:mad:

In fact it was the worst possible thing it could be. A shot gearbox. The bearings were not good bronze bearings as the usual in brass locos, but were a very low quality brass. (Please see attachment.) The worm, which apparently was at least a better grade of brass, had reamed out the bearing to almost half of its depth. (#1 in drawing) Also the idler gear bearing, had worn at such an angle as to completely wear off the centering nub that held it in place in the gearbox itself. (#2 &#3 of drawing) No wonder it was screaming when it ran!:eek:

I was fortunate to have an older gearbox from the same company, Daiyoung, to replaced the damaged parts with.
I also inserted a couple of thrush washers to keep the damage from happening again. There were no washers in the original gearbox! :( I did encourage the owner to order a new gearbox from NWSL, ASAP, to insure this doesn't happen again as I couldn't be certain of how long the repair would last.:)

Oh, and that neoprene tubing? In perfect shape, but I replaced it anyway.
 
Good Morning to All,
It was a cool moist 40*F this morning under clear skys, is supposed reach 64* this afternoon.

Late last night I did get a switch put in place and some mainline code 70 rail spiked down, sure is good to see the progress, I now have the outside siding to do in code 55 along with the raised siding for the Serpha Copper & Iron works. The ramp portion of that is causing me a bit of a dilema but I think I just figured out how best to do it so thats a bit of a releaf. I'll post some pictures a little later. I still have the main curved switch to finish and get set in place and then join that to the rest of the main line.

Have an enjoyable day.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Rex, I sent you an e-mail.

Chris, as long as BIL's think the airguns are OK, they know the local situation better than I do.

CJ, that's first time I've heard of brass bearings in a gearbox. No wonder the gearbox was shot. I'm surprised it ran at all. It's good that you had a spare gearbox but you're probably right, the repair won't hold up long. I had most of my brass when I lived in LA and the smog was murder on those neoprene tubes so I ended up replacing them with plastic universals. I guess, away from smog, the neoprene holds up OK.

David, I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of all that work you've been doing.

No rain here yet although it's cloudy and cool. The humidity is still low and the wind is from the north so we won't see much of anything until we can get a wind shift to the south and moisten up the lower levels of the atmosphere.
 


HI Everyone!
I don't know why, but it feels like the weekend. Don't you hate to rush time...particularly when you are "older".

CJ, glad you got Scott going again. I tried to tell him that it wasn't the decoder, but something mechanical. I need to see if he is still coming over Sunday.

Jim, got the email and replied. Bet you guys are looking forward to your weekend with the TIDE. :) Still dry, but cloudy/dreary here.

David, let's see some pictures.
 
I felt it coming on yesterday cleaning the train room but, I kept telling myself I wasn't getting sick! Well I woke up this morning not feeling so hot and now that I got back from work I'm ready to die! This is one bad cold:( I hate getting sick:mad: My lovely wife is fixing me some left over beef stew for dinner:) That should make me feel better:p Fast. Well I'm going to crawl off and die
 
Say Jim & Rex,

It's just rail and two switches I'm adding at this point, nothing too fancy so your not missing too much, but I'll post some as I get the rail down.
My main concern right now is the ramp to the raised portion, hope I didn't make it too short??
 
Evenin' everyone!

I finally got a second HD for the Mac G5. Figured since the external one was getting ????? it would be the best solution. So I spent part of this afternoon installing and formatting a Western Digital 1 Tb SATA HD on the computer. Next time I start the LaCie HD I will back up information that I have on there to it.

I spent the rest of the afternoon finishing up a concert CD for the Trombone Ensemble that performed 2 Sundays ago at church. I am burning the CDs as I write. I also tried to rototill the garden after spreading some pelleted lime on it. Managed to get my shoes very muddy and make a mess of the rototiller........

Chris cleaning will do that every time. that is why I avoid it at all costs...... Seriously, I hope you feel better soon!

I haven't been down to the layout since last Saturday, and the end of stuff I HAVE to get done yesterday is not in sight.

Have a good one!
 
Well I'm going to crawl off and die
I know just how you feel there. I worked on the layout some earlier today, just a partial general cleanup and relighting a few structures then did some work on some rolling stock. After all that and the toll all the meds I'm on take on me I just had no energy left. I crawled off to the bed and passed out for several hours.
 
Hi y'all,

Been away for quite awhile I realize - I'm spending whatever free time I can get to prepare for the first-ever group operating session on the Iron Belt. Testing every train I plan on running, sure takes up a lot of time.

Rex - yeah I saw that announcement from WKW a few weeks ago. Good news, but those things are starting to get pricey.

Chris - hope you feel better soon, now it's wifey's turn to take care of YOU! :D Layout area lookin' good BTW...

Mikey - did you ever post any pics from last month's ARG meet? If you did, where are they at?

Sorry I don't have time to talk with the rest of you, I need to get to bed ASAP, been running on a sleep deficit. Not good when you're on the highway :eek: G'nite!
 
KenL, I wonder if you will be able to buy the Larry and Quench car separately. I have the coke plant already and sure don't need another. Like that blower house ;).

Chris: Oh, what's a matter, Po little boy have the sniffles...mommy fix it all up. Sorry had to do that. I felt a streak of meanness. Nothing worst than an aggravating cold this time of year. LOL :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Rex, you are just too tough a guy sometimes. :)

Chris, I know what you mean. I seem to get a cold like that only about once every three years and I'm a big baby when I do. Get some chicken soup and start slugging it down. Seriously, it's the only medically proven thing that will actually shorten the duration of a cold.

Ken, it's a lot easier if you only have one train running like me. :) I hope your ops session goes off without too many glitches.

Jeffrey, taking all those meds is tough on the old body. I really felt like I needad a nap today but never got one. I should be in bed now but I'm awake. My body clock is all screwed up.

Finally got about 28 drops of rain today. The forecast is for rain from now through Friday but, except for a stray shower, I can't see where the NWS is pulling these rain chances from. I can think of a place but I'd probably get a warning from a moderator if I said it. :D
 
Good morning all from Ye Olde London Towne. Its a bl**dy cold 6c (43f) and a high of 13c (56f), more rain on its way.

I think Chris and I are on the same bug schedule. I'm suffering from my annual cold/fluy blech. Going to spend the day in a very hot bath with a rather yummy 18 year old, (single malt that is :D get your minds out of the gutter) and a stack of old Model Railroader mags. Best cure known to man. Sweat it out then sleep for 12 hours solid.

Jeffery & Chris, hope you both start to feel better soon. Jim, I did send you some rain but it looks like USPS delivered it to Oregon instead.
 
Blahhhhhh From Florida!

Well, I'm still alive! I'm glad I'm not alone:) Well the soup, rest, and 18yr. olds sounds intresting but, I'm one of those that when I get sick for what ever reason I tend to work my butt off:confused: seriously I get jumpy and edgey when I'm sick! Rest and soup are the last things on my mind. The worst I feel the edgier/jumpier I get.....Even if I wanted to sleep. I would have to be druged up seriously:( So after 2 hours of sleep I'm going to work:( I'll make my last stand on the ballfield!:rolleyes:( off I gooooooo..................
 
11-13-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress.png


:cool:
 
Well, I'm still alive! I'm glad I'm not alone:) Well the soup, rest, and 18yr. olds sounds intresting but, I'm one of those that when I get sick for what ever reason I tend to work my butt off:confused: seriously I get jumpy and edgey when I'm sick! Rest and soup are the last things on my mind. The worst I feel the edgier/jumpier I get.....Even if I wanted to sleep. I would have to be druged up seriously:( So after 2 hours of sleep I'm going to work:( I'll make my last stand on the ballfield!:rolleyes:( off I gooooooo..................
I'm the opposite now. Once upon a time I used to just try and ignore things and keep on working. I've found it just makes it much worse. Thanks to growing up in a smoke filled environment my lungs and throat are very suseptable to secondary infections. For me, hitting a hot tub and resting as soon as something starts up means I lose 2 days work and feel much better. The alternative is usually feeling like crap for 2 weeks and a run of antibiotics.
 
Good morning.

It's 56 here with dense fog. The high will be around 70 and partly cloudy with a small chance of rain.

Worked on the layout some yesterday. Just a partial general cleanup really. I relit several structures with the Xmas mini bulbs as they seem to last much, much longer than the little bulbs from Model Power, plus they cost a lot less too. I can get a 20 bulb string for a couple of bucks while a 20 pack of the Model Power bulbs cost around $12 to $14. Being larger they put off more light too. After that I worked on some rolling stock. After all that I was a bit tired and all these meds were taking their toll too, so I went back to the bedroom for a short nap. Did I say short? It lasted a little over three hours! I must be getting old. I have the two Amtrak SDP40F's running on the layout right now and they're as quiet as any Atlas or Kato I've seen. They run just beautifully.

I think for breakfast today I'll have the bacon and eggs.

bacon.jpg


Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 11/13/2008

Wind Chill: 55°F
Humidity: 99%
Dew Point: 55°F

So Far Today
High: 59°F
Low: 55°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph NNW

Today High: 72 Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Isolated showers in the late morning and afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Tonight Low: 52 Partly cloudy with isolated showers in the evening... Then mostly cloudy with a chance of rain and isolated thunderstorms after midnight. Areas of fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 50s. East winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010273.jpg
 
Morning all!

Rode my new scoot to work today. It was a little cool this morning, but I bundled up and didn't feel the cold at all. It's supposed to be 60 degrees and sunny for the ride home. Think I'll take the long way!

Wife's got me doing a minor kitchen remodel. I'm adding a trash compactor and a wine fridge. To do it I'll have to lengthen the counter top and build the supporting cabinetry below it. Not a problem. It's already shaping up good.

Hey Jeff, if you put those Christmas light strings on a rheostat you can dial them down a bit to a more realistic glow and they'll last virtually forever.

So, what's up with all of you?

Later!

Oh yeah, prayers for all of you!
 
Good morning folks. I forgot about getting sick.:eek: Whenever I'm sick, I sleep it off around the work schedule. I also drink a few gallons of water a day anyway, so there is no problem with the fluids.

I purchased the rest of the foam I need and a soldering iron, solder, and flux. Now I need to start gluing the roadbed down. I'm hesitating because I'm sure that I'll need to adjust it once I start laying track. I suppose it's not too much work to pop it up and re-glue it. I rushed this part of my first layout and had poor results. The track work was not reliable and the trains never ran right. Since I have a considerable amount more invested into this layout, I want to get it right. I just need to get over analysis paralysis and get a move on. Maybe someone needs to give me a virtual kick in the rear!

I'm off to work. I hope you gentlemen have a great day!
 
Hey Jeff, if you put those Christmas light strings on a rheostat you can dial them down a bit to a more realistic glow and they'll last virtually forever.
Don't need a rheostat. The bulbs are 6 volts, the circuit is 12 volts. By putting three bulbs in series into a structure I get plenty of light. In this way the bulbs get 4 volts each.
 


Mornin' everyone!

An icky, wet, damp day here in the Finger Lakes. Currently 45°F outside. Not going to get much warmer. One of those in between days. To warm to light the wood stove, and to cold to open the windows...... Good day to work on some railroad related things.... YES!

Have a good one!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top