Coffee shop one-three

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.


Afternoon, everyone.

Rex, can't complain that they won but even Saban didn't sound too happy with the team's performance. They should have done better against the #15 team. I think Alabama is going to drop to #2 after Texas Tech's drubbing of Oklahoma State.

Steve, I'm glad to see that those that gave their lives in such a forgotten war in a far off place are still being remembered.

Jeffrey, it got down to 39 here last night so fall is definitely here.

David, good to hear you got some rain. That should help keep the fire season under control at least as well as start building the snowpack. Without enough snowpack, there won't be much hydroelectricity for California next year. That's funny about the truck and the overpass. You'd think someone else would have thought of letting the air out of the tires before you did.

Just a cup of decaf and a BLT will do me today. I'm getting way too tubby and I don't want Rex's wallet to burn any more fiercely. :D

Sunny but cooler and breezy weather down here. Looks Paloma has blown herself out over Cuba without causing much damage. She will be a remnant low by tonight and wander around the Bahamas for a few days before dissipating completely. These late season storms just don't have the staying power of September storms, thank goodness.
 
Tonight I get the pleasure of going through all my grandma's magazines, and her DOZENS of subscriptions. Anything thats not from 2008 is getting dumped. If only I could get away with throwing them all away.

Worst part is, no one ever reads them, they just sit there until someone starts throwing them out.

But I can't complain too much, between all the old train magazines I have, and a few of my other subscriptions, I may have more magazines then her now. I just can't admit it to her.
 
Well hey, Jim and Jeffrey, It got almost up]b] to 50 here in western Central NY today in between showers. Lucky I spent the day inside a nice warm building (Batavia Downs) for the annual train show sponsored by the Genesee Society of Model Railroaders. The Lakeshores Division NMRA had a "Modelers Corner" at the show. Several members brought projects to work on during the day, and were available to chat with people at the show. We have the RIT show to do the same at in a few weeks. I will post some photos when I have unpacked the camera.

Gee, Rex, if I had known that you were footing the bill today I would have ordered more than that Beef on Weck and a bag of Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips I had for lunch. Although with a Doctor's appointment on Tuesday, I need to lose a couple lbs. in a hurry.

Oh, I still couldn't find a Digitrax UT-4 Radio Throttle, so I consoled myself by getting a new Bachmann 2-8-0 Connie to add to the roster. It was painted but unlettered and is DCC equipped. So some decaling and an upgrade to a working decoder (probably an NCE as I have 3 more of them) and she will start hauling trains on the SLO&W. The price was right so I couldn't say no!

Have a good evening!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Hobbytown in INDY today and got some Atlas sectional track to make my grandson Colton a track to play with the Botchman stuff I have given him. A couple of dummy engines and the cars that came with my original N scale set I bought 15 years ago to see if I was going to like playing trains. Hopefully it will keep him away from the good stuff on the layout. He loves to go into the train room and climb on a chair and look at Gramps' layout. He knows the crane, the baby tankers, the CEE Line engines and the grain hoppers. He would love to play with the good stuff but he knows he can not at the present time(at least I think he does). Also looked for some wood burning tools to build him a lamp with a train burnt into the wood and a cat burned into a lamp for my grandaughter. Every year I try to MAKE something for the grandkids. It may not be any cheaper but I have a great time doing it. I have no wood burning tools now but I will have LOL LOL LOL.
 
Thanks to the Harris and Coaches polls the BCS rankings have Alabama #1 over Texas Tech, but barely. Seems the voters saw what I and many saw, a team that could overcome mistakes and win even if it wasn't pretty.

No doubt Tech played like a well oiled machine against Oklahoma State last night, but their challenge and possible nemesis will come when they face Oklahoma.

BTW: If they would remove the statistics that include scoring ratios, you wouldn't see any more of these wholesale slaughter scores. We used to consider that bad sportsmanship. Bear Bryant was totally against it and never would run-up a score on an opponent. (Now, this doesn't include scores that result from playing everyone, including the waterboy:D.) Many are trying to do get this change and are gaining support yearly.

Jim, you will probably see another hard fought game with Mississippi State. Records don't count when a team plays Bama, be it LSU, Slippery Rock, or definitely Auburn. An opponent will play us and sacrifice everything just to say they beat Alabama and sent the Tide out to sea. Could almost give you a complex. :D:)
 
Forgot to mention that yesterday we celebrated my DIL's Birthday. I got to hang out with my favorite young lady (my granddaughter) who is becoming quite a little scamp!

GuessWhoElmo_w.png


She got her first black eye last week running into some furniture.....

She likes her grandma's house where the party was held because she can play with the dog.

OliviaWithDogie1w.png
 


Ray, looks like a very tolerant dog even if she is cute. :)

Rex, you're right about running up scores. I know when I played high school ball, about the only time I got to play was when us second stringers finally got on the field because we were three touchdowns up. I still don't get the whole BCS thing. The computers have Texas Tech ahead of Bama. Is it the polls that put us over the top? By the end of the season, you need a Cray supercomuter just to understand how the BCS does rankings. I agree that TT faces their toughest test with Oklahoma. I got the tickets for the Mississippi because I figured we'd know if we were playoff bound and the rep that Miss State has for knocking us off. I'm really more worried about them ending our streak than I was LSU. Miss State isn't a great team this year but all their wins have come against ranked teams and I know they'd like to take away our unbeaten record so it should be a hard fought game.
 
Yeah, Jim the BCS rankings are complicated and not fool proof, but is better than trying to argue which poll has more value and also totally relying on mere opinions and favoritism. The two polls included in the calculations of the BCS are the USA Today Coaches and the Harris. The Associated Press dropped from being included in the formula a couple of years ago. I might add that Alabama jumped Tech because of being #1 in all three polls.;)

Here is a simplified:eek: explanation from the ESPN site. The formula used by each computer is mind boggling and includes a wide range of statistics.

Team percentages are derived by dividing a team's actual voting points by a maximum 2850 possible points in the Harris Interactive Poll and 1575 possible points in the USA Today Coaches Poll.


Six computer rankings calculated in inverse points order (25 for #1, 24 for #2, etc.) are used to determine the overall computer component. The best and worst ranking for each team is dropped, and the remaining four are added and divided by 100 (the maximum possible points) to produce a Computer Rankings Percentage. The six computer ranking providers are Anderson & Hester, Richard Billingsley, Colley Matrix, Kenneth Massey, Jeff Sagarin, and Peter Wolfe. Each computer ranking accounts for schedule strength in its formula.


The BCS Average is calculated by averaging the percent totals of the Harris Interactive, USA Today Coaches and Computer polls.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Rex, ouch, too much information, my head is about to explode! :) I still say that, by the last game of the season, those computers start throwing in random numbers.
 
Good Morning From Sunny Florida!

Tampa Weather
8 AM 55 °F Sunny Sunny and chilly.
2 PM 74 °F Sunny Mostly sunny, warming nicely.
10 PM 61 °F Clear Clear and chilly
No rain in sight until Fri evening to Sat morning then it's only a 20-30% chance. Our weather has been Great, we're 5*-10* cooler than Tampa, It's 50*past few mornings It's great to be able to shut down the A/C and open the windows! Great sleeping weather:D

Local News
Jobs hard to come by
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1
Wasn't double that during the Carter days? Most of the unemployment is in construction down here, for the life of me I don't under stand why traidsmen don't follow the work?:confused: Texas, LA, Missippi arn't they still rebuilding and need more workers:confused: Owell:confused::rolleyes:

Personal Note
"Flo, I'll have Cup of coffee and dozen DoNots for the road! Hey flo slide a box or two to Rex for me and a cup of coffee for me!"

Well another day in the salt mill for me! To clean up after a nice weekend, park should be littered with litter! at least is going to be a nice day to be outside!:D Hey, I forgot I got tomarrow off!:eek::eek::D:D:D:D Might use it to clean out the train room! O'Goody:D:D

Ray Your Grand Daughter, is a real cuty! Even with a boo boo's you can't take it a way:)

Jim/Rex I have to say my way of picking the winner is easier!
The collage with the uglier girls will win! (Uglier woman= Meaner player's) end of story.

Ken Your keeping My Kubota Clean and fueled up right! I'll be up there soon as you turn your back to get it;):p
 
Good morning from Ye Olde London Towne. Another rainy Monday with a high of 12c. (54f) A busy weekend. I finally managed to get the concrete poured for the new train shed. Just waiting now for the confirmation of delivery date. Hopefully I'll be able to start construction on the baseboards before Christmas. My home office space / workbench is also nearly finished. Can't wait to get some modelling done. Its been 8 months since we moved in and I'm suffering from withdrawl still.

IMGP1945.jpg

Remember tomorrow is the 90th anniversary of the end of the 'war to end all wars'.
 
Good morning.

It's 50 and cloudy here this morning. The high is expected to be around 70 and it will be partly cloudy.

I never got the chance yesterday to install the decoder in the SDP40F A unit as my hands were shaking too much. Maybe today. I have to go see the foot doc early this afternoon so he can tsk and cluck over my feet some more but other than that my schedule is pretty well open.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 11/10/2008


Wind Chill: 47°F
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 38°F

So Far Today
High: 50°F
Low: 48°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph ESE

Today High: 72 Mostly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 55 Showers and thunderstorms becoming likely after midnight
. Lows in the mid 50s to lower 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/proudIndian/P1010263.jpg
 


Good morning folks

It was a crisp 43 F as I headed out the door this morning. High will reach 50 F.

I did some chores around the house this weekend. I raked the leaves in the front yard with help from the kids. I am amazed how many of my neighbors who have kids that are my kids age don’t have the kids helping. When I was 10 I was raking leaves and mowing the lawn. With the kids’ help we got the yard done in less than an hour.

My son distributed his Scouting for Food bags. He did on Sunday morning since it was raining on Saturday. He will collect them next Saturday.

I got all the materials I need to repair the basement step. However, every time I went to start something else came up. I am hoping to get to it tonight.

I ran some trains for about a half hour last night. Funny how just doing something simple like running a short train made me feel good and relaxed. I also straighten up the layout some and entered some recently finished cars into my computer inventory.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top