Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day. I did a little cooking on the grill, relaxed and then messed with the trains a little. Had to fix a couple of trouble spots on the track. Seems to be doing okay now.

Got to work in the morning, that kind of sucks:(

Well talk to you guys later...:D
 
Hi gang,

Salutations to all vets on this solemn day of remembrance. Hope you all enjoyed it.

Jeff - hope the docs figure out the root cause of your dad's GI problems.

Chris - nice job on that BMX.

Corey - looks like you're movin' right along with that trestle, clump foliage covers a multitude of scenic goofs! :D

Tony - got that noise issue under control?

I know its been a few days since I posted, whole weekend was split between honey dues and the business district. At least I'm finally done shooting all the pix I wanted to get, now maybe I can move on, and get back to actually running trains - for real this time! This unfortunately was not a very pleasant holiday for my wife; her 88yr-old mother decided she didn't need no stinkin help hauling wheelbarrows full of mulch from a neighbor's house 1/2 mile up the road from her. Also skipped Saturday's dose of cardiac prescription meds. The end result: Rapid heartbeat with atrial fibrillation, Vicky had to drive her to the hospital this morning and spend most of the day with her waiting in the E/R. Sometimes I can't help wondering if grandma has a Death Wish...

Time for bed,the holiday's over and 5:00am comes awful early! :eek:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm baackk!! Did y'all miss me? :) Haven't had a chance to read much but it sounds like a good muscle car debate. I had a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger. It had a Ford 260 ci engine and, with a few mods, put out about 240 horsepower. It could suck the doors off just about anything on the road at the time but was a beast to handle at only around 2600 pounds. Sold it and got an MGB instead since it was better handling and a lot easier on gas. I still miss that old Tiger.

The Bahamas, at least Nassau, is a dump. Don't waste your money. We stayed in the Rui Hotel, next to the Atlantis. The Riu in Puerto Vallarta was a real palace with great rooms and fantastic food. This place was twice as expensive, the rooms were small and need refurbishment, and the food was OK to awful. The service was really bad, with us having to call the desk constantly to get things like the sheets changed and towels. We had a room right by the pool and the college kids getting drunk every night and screaming and yelling until about one in the morning really added to the festive atmosphere. There was no sign of a hotel manager anywhere. The people at the front desk couldn't even tell me his name. The president of the corporation will be getting an e-mail tomorrow.

The Atlantis has all the bad things about Vegas, all the bad things about the Islands, and none of the good things of either. It's huge, crowded, noisy, and incredibly expensive for everything. I have no idea how they market that place but it seemed like every NBA team not in the playoffs was there. I haven't seen so many bling-bling, tattoed, 7 foot tall thugs in my life. Some of them obviously had bodyguards. :eek: They'd go right down the hall and knock down anyone in their way. There were several times I really wanted to have my gun with me.

Of course, it rained every day we were there, including a good tropical wave on Tuesday with 50 mph winds and a day long thunderstorm. The girls got to swim with dolphins at the Atlantis for a mere $138 each and do the waterpark for an additional $119 each. I got in the ocean twice. One day it was so rough I couldn't even get past the breakers 50 feet offshore. We went to an island on a snorkeling trip Saturday and, for another palty sum of $75 each, got to snorkel over a dead reef where the only fish were living in an old engine block. Didn't get food poisoning from lunch though so I guess it was worth it. Everyone wants a tip for everything, even if they don't do anything, or even do it wrong.

Swine flu....Grrrrr....:mad:

Anyway, the flights went OK and we made it home safe so that's the main thing. I don't think I'll be heading back to the Bahamas any time soon. :D I haven't been down to the basement yet so I hope everyone cleaned up their mess before they left.
 


BOC, beer on a boat, or any water craft, is OK as long as one has the sense to quit BEFORE becoming embalmed!!! I've had high performance boats and NEVER allowed alcohol on them. NEVER!! Now the Carver, a bit different, but we don't get drunk. Period. The water, or even land for that matter, is no place to be operating under the influence. I've seen too many people killed or secerely injured on the water when excess alcohol is consumed. Too much beer MAKES YOU STUPID!!!

Now, dockside.........different story.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glade to see ya back Jim! We had a great party here:):D! We spent 1/10 of what you did on vacation and had great time to boot:D! Your next vacation you will spend it in Florida! may be this time you'll listen;):)to me. Sure it has rained every single evening here.....But you would have still found stuff fun and cheap to do! thats Problem with going on vacation to some place new:( you never know what to expect:confused::rolleyes: NEXT TIME, Time proven FLORIDA! we had just enough sunshine this week for you to have gone back home with a nice sun burn, with just enough rain to spend money in the local Malls and shops... Old Florida Never lets you down:D! Jim, my wife had a better time in the hospital that you did on vacaion.LOL's
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning.

The birds be chirpin', the little 'Spring' be runnin' from window to window--trying(natch) to get at the birds, and Audrey be off for her morning walk. Meanwhile I'm gettin' ready to go to work---

We're s'posed to get some rain over the next few days with the temperatures going from lows in the low teens and the high around 20.

Jim That's the Bahamas for you--it's a tourist trap with none of the goodies. A friend of mine lived there for a few years, doing the boat charter thing and said that it was RARE to get someone who really wanted to do anything right. They're beyond caring----:mad:

Bob This drunk guy might not have been an issue if'n he did it on the quiet but he had to pull this stunt about 4am. No tact, I tell you. No tact---LOL!! The good thing was was that he is still alive and hopefully will reconsider--OK, I'll get drunk at the cottage but stay off anything that moves:D:D:D

Get a phone call from work telling me that after I check up on one client, I've got to come help poor sec. who discovered that some dang fool had took some original forms out and forgot to place them back in the files--now, there is a bit of a schmozzell going on in there:confused::eek:

Have a good one :D:D:D
 
Good morning.

It's 67 and partly cloudy. The high will be in the upper 80's and thunderstorms are expected.

Today the docs will be checking out my father to try and find out what's giving him so much grief. From the symptoms he's experiencing I'm thinking gall stones, but there's so many other things that can cause the same symptoms. Didn't get anything done on the layout yesterday as other things kept getting in the way. Maybe I'll have better luck today.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/26/2009

Wind Chill: 68°F
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 67°F

So Far Today
High: 70°F
Low: 67°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph S

Today High: 88 Partly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of Isolated showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 80s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 68 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the upper 60s. West winds 5 to 10 mph in the evening becoming northeast after midnight.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P1010119.jpg
 
Mornin' guys! Well work is just like a Monday except it is really Tuesday:eek: gonna be a long one:eek:

Just stopped in for a quick cup to keep me going...:D

Ken;The noise does not seem as bad as it once was. I think it is mostly the six axle locomotives on the 11' radius curves. I know that is a "no-no" for sure in the HO world, but I thought maybe it would not be too bad in the N world. I will just have to use the small locomotives until I figure out what I want to do and get some junk out of the basement so i can go larger and use bigger radius curves. I am pretty sure that is what the noise is.

Jim;Did we miss you: confused:, come on do you really have to ask that question:confused: Of course we did, just not as much as you would like:D:D:D. Hey welcome back! Never been to the Bahamas, but I in Jamaica and some other island way down there in the West Indies about twenty or so years ago. Jamaica sucked until you got out away from the towns, then it was beautiful and nice, the same with that other island (can't remember the name) but it was really nice!

Jeffery;Hope those doctors can figure something out for your dad and get him some relief, also it would be nice for you and your family to have some answers...

Well it's back to work for now, might stop in for a cup at lunch time, or later this evening, talk to you guys later:D
 
Hey All!

I hope everyone survived the holiday weekend. Sounds like there were adventures to be had.

Jim...Welcome back! Sorry it was not the ideal vacation. Next year think...COLORADO! ;) The Broadmoor in CO Springs is absolutely perfect.

Bob...You are so right about sleeping on the water. My friends have a houseboat at Lake Powell. I have gone with them a few times and have never failed to have an amazing time. Sleeping on the upper deck is so relaxing and peaceful.

Jeffrey...I sure hope your Dad is feeling better this morning. How's your Mom doing while he is in the hosp?

Dan...Car shopping is one of my least favorite things to do. My car is acting up so I am driving the Explorer and it is simply sucking up the gas. About $20 every third day. It's killin' me! :eek:

We spent the holiday weekend in uncharacteristic rains. It rained every day. That is not the norm for Colorado. I suppose we could use it though :) The mountain runoff is going to make for an exciting rafting season. I hope to go at least once this season. Last time I went in June (a few years ago) we had class 5 rapids. It was amazing!

Have a great week!

Sandy
 
Jeffrey...I sure hope your Dad is feeling better this morning. How's your Mom doing while he is in the hosp?
She's doing about as well as can be expected I guess. She's been tending her garden as best she can and keeping up with her online genealogy research. I tell you, I've learned more about my ancestors through her research than any of my grandparents and other relatives have ever told me.
 


Good morning folks

It was 61 F as I headed in this morning. High will be 60(?). We have had heavy winds overnight and most of the morning and are waiting for the rains to begin.

I am running somewhat late this morning. I had to drop my son off at school this morning. He is going on his school camping trip today. He will be back on Friday. Hopefully they won’t get much rain. Today looks like a wash for them.

We had a great weekend. Saturday we partially cleaned out the garage. By chance we found blinds for my FIL’s at Home Depot when we were there looking for something else. So I was able to remove the old broken blinds and replace them.

Sunday we went to Gettysburg and stayed the night. We toured several museums when we arrived. On Sunday we did a Ghost Tour along Seminary Ridge at the Lutheran Seminary. Monday we finished touring the battlefield and souvenir shopping. My son got a Union jacket and kewpie. My daughter talked her mother into allowing her to get a sword. I don’t know if I was more surprised at the wife letting her get it or the fact my daughter wanted one. Since they both did reports on Gettysburg and the Gettysburg Address we felt this would be a good time for them to see it. They really enjoyed themselves and got a better appreciation of what happened there. They actually got to see where history happened and not just to read about it. On the bad side I did not get to any hobby shops.

Saturday night we discovered our water heater died. My son had to take a cold shower. I am now waiting to hear back from the plumber.

Jim, sorry to hear about your vacation troubles. We had a vacation once that involved Florida and the Bahamas. The Florida part was great. The Bahamas sucked. High prices, dirty, and everybody with their hand out just like you experienced. I was never so happy to get back on the cruise ship. Freeport was OK, however, but I still would not go back.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just stopped by to say that Barbados is the name of the other island in the West Indies that I visited. Don't know about today, but when I was 21 it was one cool place!:D
 
Hiya Gang,
Flo, how about a cup of your finest Columbian, and a BLT?
Jim, Glad to see ya back. Sounds like your inpression with Nassau was the same as mine. Dirty nasty place, cabs from the harbor to Atlantis were a circus! Not a straight fender on any of them! We did the Disney cruise a few years back with a stop in Nassau. After a breif visit in town and Atlatic, we went back to the ship and had a much better time onboard!!!
Sorry about that one loco..:(.....I asked Chris for the Labelle oil cuz it was squeaking.....he handed me a bottle of Zap! (drunk) Hey at least it don't squeak no more!!!:eek:
Ken, Should I bring that Module frame Saturday??
Tom, cold showers,,,brrrrr! Hope the plumber calls soon!!

Well, it's raining its butt off here, and I've got a toilet running and refilling every 15-20 minutes. The wife said no big deal, just fix it next rainy day. Nice of her eh, to make sure it doesn't cut into my grass cutting time!! LOL!
CYa all later!
 
Jim, I am glad to see you made it back without the natives having you for lunch. I've always disliked the Bahamas. Felt the place was overrated and it smelled like.....well, you know. I always enjoyed the VI more. And the upper lower peninsula of Michigan even more. The area around the Inland Waterway is especially nice and full of sights and history. And the UP, with place like Taquehamon Falls, Whitefish Point, and Copper Harbor are awesome.

BOC, the Witch of the Water was out in full regalia over the weekend. I heard that one was killed on a lake near Celina, Ohio. Also heard that alcohol was involved. Two families will be torn apart there, I'm sure.

Jeff, prayers and positive thoughts from us for your Dad. You might want to give Mom a hug and show her that you are there for her.

Sandy, my "big" boat, the one we spent the weekend aboard, is a 1990 32-foot Carver. Really a nice boat that a fishing buddy's widow GAVE to me. That's right gave. After her husband died, I kept an eye on her and did odd jobs for pie, cake, and cookies. Mowed the grass, changed light bulbs, cleaned gutters.....

Tom, Gettysburg is a very solemn place. You can feel the spirits moving around. I still have my copies of the special documents I bought at one of the souvenir shops. I got the Gettysburg Address, of course, the Constitution and other historical documents all on parchment. They actually hang in the family room.

Karl, That wasn't Zap, it was a emulsifying mixture from the folks at DOW. That engine should be a puddle of plastic and metal by now.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Morning, everyone.

Chris, I forgot to ask about your wife. How is she doing and did she tolerate the surgery well? I hope everything went well. Sounds like it must have if she had more fun in the hospital than we did in the Bahamas. :) Next time, it will be Florida for sure compared to ever going back to Nassau.

BOC, I suspect any of the islands with too much American influence is a bad thing. The Bahamas may be the best example of that. I sure hope you find those files. Things like that can cause a world of trouble when you have to report it the government.

Jeffrey, from what I've read of your description of your dad's complaints, it sure sounds like gallstones or maybe a bile duct problem. Whatever it is, I hope they find out soon since I'm sure the poor guy is miserable. :(

Ken, does make you wonder about grandmas (and grandpas) sometimes. I hope shes OK. I know I tend to overdo things, thinking I'm still about 35 years old until my body attacks me. :)

Tony, I've sail in the Caribbean for the past 20 years or so. Most of the islands are great once you get away from the larger towns. Even Jamaica has really nice bays and places to visit once you get out of Kingston, probably the most dangerous city in the Caribbean. Barbados has gotten really industrialized since you were there but there are still nice spots to go - you just need a shallow draft sailboat. Same with the Bahamas. I've sailed to the out islands like Cat Island and Inauga and they were all uniformly nice with very pleasant people. There's something about being around too much gambling, drinking, and drugs which can destroy whole cultures.

Tom, I sailed into Freeport in 1992. It was a typical island town at that time although a lot more industrial than most of the Caribbean. My understanding is that Freeport has gotten a lot worse since then. I loved Gettysburg. For some reason, you really feel like you are back on the battlefield when you tour there.

Karl, the cruise ships are a real problem now in Nassau. They've dredged out the harbor and they now get six or seven of those monsters in at once. You can get just about any kind of fake designer handbag and watch ever made in China at the straw market. All the tourists are a real corrupting influence on what used to be a nice, laid-back culture. I'm sure it helps the economy of the Bahamas but it's ruining their culture. I haven't run any trains yet but I'll look for that one that was making noise that's now a park display. :D

Sandy, I've actually stayed at the Broadmoor. It is an awesome place. I always loved sleeping on deck on the sailboat when we were in a nice, protected anchorage. Just rocks you to sleep.

Bob, I agree, it's hard to beat the Virgin Islands for sailing, diving, and undersea life. The people are generally nice and, although it's not the cheapest place to go in the Caribbean, it sure is pleasant.

Boy, the weather has followed us back from the Bahamas. Warm and humid with showers and some thunderstorms although nothing too severe yet. It was actually warmer and more humid here last night than in the Bahamas. I never realized what was really wrong in the Bahamas until I heard all the tree frogs and insects making noise in the backyard. I heard nothing like that down there. Too much man made noise. Didn't have to worry about the lawn dying though - we had about four inches of rain while we were gone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lets see here.

Sandy: I have never actually shopped for a car myself, as I got mine from a friend when he went into the Air Force. He didn't want it anymore, and his parents told him they weren't going to keep it around. 1000 bucks later, its one decent car. I won't make back what I have put into it, but it will last awhile. As for dealerships, we have a small used car dealership that sells low mileage used cars, and we have never had a problem with them. We have two cars from them, my brother-in-law has just bought his second from them, and a few guys at work bought there too. We get some nice deals because of it :D

Jeffrey: I love the genealogy stuff my mom does. If we were to print out the "tree" as she has it now, we would run out of paper pretty quick. There is a few thousand names if I remember right. Made that part of history class really easy though :D

Jim: Send some of that rain up here. The grass needs watering.

Well, today is already half over, and I still haven't done anything. I suppose I should attempt to do some MORE yard work. It seems like everyday for the last week has been spent outside. My mom hurt her knee a couple years ago, and we decided to finally catch up from the last couple years.
 
Hello people--

Got home from office and saw that we now have a robin's nest stuck on a window sill in MY trainroom.:eek::D:D Now 'Spring' is on the inside watching the robins--clicking away like a typewriter--he wants the robins so bad---It's kind of fun to watch him when he is in pure hunt mode--:D:D:D:D

Jim We found the dang file--BEHIND the file cabinet:mad::mad: Office Mgr left memo to do the right thing and put them INTO the file cabinet:mad::mad: It took about 1 hour for us to find the dang thing and the only reason we found it that quickly was my former boss--when I was in building maintenance--always had us check behind things and clean there as well. :D:D:D

Bob The largest boat I was on was a 65' catamaran. That thing was a beaut!!:):) This was what we took down to Antigua many years ago through the intracoastal from the great lakes. That was a fun trip!!:D:D As for the stuff--brother, one has to keep telling people to please be safe out there---but y'know:confused::confused:

'Spring' is all cuddled up by me here---he's purring away.
 
Evening everyone, I had a wonderful day at work:rolleyes:. The past 14 days we totaled 12" of rain at the park:eek: holy crap I can pull a person on water skies in the middle of senior field with the toro workman buggy!:D:p I'm not complaining at all I LOVE IT!:D Grow Grass GROW!

Jim, We are planning in mid june to goto universal resort again for two days. we got 3 free tickets to universal theme parks and two night stay at the Royal Pacific Resort for two nights @ $130 a night. Pic's of the place below. I'm not a resort type but this place is SWEEEEEET! I will diet like I have never dieted before so I can graze on the food!:p:D
Jim, Florida is a good old stand by when it comes to vacations! My area is starting to pick up, I think people are seeing were not more than 90 min. ride to most theme parks and Beaches. Also the hotel rates are half of that in orlando.

Guy's you haven't been on a boat until you WORKED on a shrimp Boat!:eek: God what an adventure!:rolleyes:
 
Screwjack said:
The noise does not seem as bad as it once was. I think it is mostly the six axle locomotives on the 11' radius curves. I know that is a "no-no" for sure in the HO world, but I thought maybe it would not be too bad in the N world. I will just have to use the small locomotives until I figure out what I want to do and get some junk out of the basement so i can go larger and use bigger radius curves. I am pretty sure that is what the noise is.
I don't think it's just the 11 curves. I have 11" radius curves, and run everything from NW2's to Challengers and SD90MACs with no funny noise. Of course, the track has to be perfect, but that's another story.
 


Jeffrey: I love the genealogy stuff my mom does. If we were to print out the "tree" as she has it now, we would run out of paper pretty quick. There is a few thousand names if I remember right. Made that part of history class really easy though :D
I believe I came by my interest in trains honestly as some of my ancestors were train robbers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top