Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
......Rex I know a company that actually does disaster recovery----do you think that they'll help?:D:D

Thanks BOC, but I believe Karl has the solution; I just have to learn French (second thought: hand language may be better).:D

Jim: We got plastered with the storm this morning. Lots of straight line winds tore up trees and powerlines around the county. Alabama Cheerleaders...dang! Sure missed a good one, but that explains the thong that I found...or maybe it was Larry's.

Chris: Can I get my door keys back from you?
 
Thanks BOC, but I believe Karl has the solution; I just have to learn French (second thought: hand language may be better).:D

Jim: We got plastered with the storm this morning. Lots of straight line winds tore up trees and powerlines around the county. Alabama Cheerleaders...dang! Sure missed a good one, but that explains the thong that I found...or maybe it was Larry's.

Chris: Can I get my door keys back from you?


Ya, you can have your keys back!:) I got my own set now!;):D Don't bother to change the locks, I got my Mexican Express Key. I never leave home with out it!
 


P.S. Karl - you snuck-in before I finished typing! Think that guy from the Catonsville club will make a wise decision about a DCC system?;)

Ken, I have my doubts. I'm only behaving myself because Bill C asked me to. Frankly, the day he stood one of my brass cabooses on end with an N&W J iced it for me. Why guys have to run on the modules like Louie Lionel is beyond me. Not to mention that in the last year, he's done it to several other people to. I was lucky, no damage. Others have not been so fortunate.
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Rex, we've had a few good lines of storms today. Nothing too bad down here in terms of wind but we've had .75 inches of rain and the lawn is looking green again. Looks like all the heavy stuff is south of us now. I can't really explain those thongs since I only saw the tops of the girls because your hot tub has so many bubbles. Several of the girls did look like the thong type though. :)

Seems like everyone in the East is getting rain now. I'm sure a lot of you are sick of it but I'm just happy to not be in (much) of a drought any more. Looks like more could be on the way for us though so maybe my tune will change.

Ken, you are correct on both counts regarding rising oil prices. OPEC has finally enforced the 5 million barrel per day decrease and there's a a lot of speculative buys in oil based on the idea we've magically returned to prosperity. I completely sold out of my short positions Monday. There was enough bad news that the market should have been way down but it was up instead. You can't fight market momentum. We had a selling panic in March and that has now turned into a buying panic as everyone is afraid they've missed the bottom. There will be a pull back at some point but being short in a market that wants to go up is not the way to make money.

Jeffrey, those engineering plastic handrails are great assuming they fit right. If not, everything stretches out like a rubber band. I'm still partial to metal hand rails.

Karl, the hay baler idea sounds like a great way to make a few extra bucks. :D

Corey, I've used lichen as kind of a support structure for ground foam and think it looks pretty good. At least it saves a little money if you're doing a lot of landscaping. Sounds like you're making good progress. I think you'll find mounting the trestle isn't as hard as you fear.

BOC, maybe you can stock your lake with catfish and make a few extra bucks selling them. I guess there might be a problem when the lake goes way though. Dead catfish really smell bad. :eek:

LTF, Chris was supposed to notify you about the party. He's obviously a slacker about some things. :rolleyes: With what I spend on trains and cats, I can't imagine how I could support even one horse let alone a herd of them.

Looks like the rain will soon come to an end here although it looks like the same front may stall and then head back north tomorrow. I need a couple of sunny days to seal the seams of the motorhome roof and they've been hard to come by this week. I ordered the seam tape about 10 days ago, when it was nice and sunny and it's rained every other day since it got here Friday. Must be like washing your car. I spent part of the day hanging even more junk on the walls and then arguing about whether or not they were level. For some reason, my wife thinks my level is a congenital liar and her eyes work better. :confused: Then she always asks if it looks nice. If I say yes, she'll go out and get more junk. If I say no, she'll get mad at me because I don't like her choice of junk. You just can't win sometimes. ;)
 
Oh---Now it's pouring---great day in the evening, what's next. Just got finished cutting the dang hay--I mean grass. And more rain gonna fall down.:rolleyes:

Maybe we should all try to push the stuff over Chris's way---he needs the rain--:D:D:D

Jim I'm starting to think that this year will be the year of the "Tin Hat". Everytime I turn the radio on there is a new Fear thing on. :eek::eek::mad:The leaders, otherwise known as "The Knowing Subjects", go around opening up new vistas of outright bizarredom and run around yelling that we're all gonna die!!---then go telling US to NOT panic?----OK---exactly who is panicking? When the Chinese quarantine a group of HEALTHY Canadians--and then can't explain to WHO or our Canadian embassy WHY they quarantined Healthy people---especially AFTER WHO went and said it is ADEADLY DISEASE can we say ---projection? The ruling elite are the ones panicking and b/c these guys can't picture themselves as panicking will say everyone else is-----:eek::mad:----enuff of the soapbubble----

As for the lake----Koi will be in there next---if this keeps up. BTW --stay safe down there----keep the ol' generators in top shape;)

Karl How does a person stand a caboose on end?---Is this guy rational?:eek::confused:---and tearing around--tell him where Bonneville is--THAT is where one does speed trials:rolleyes::eek:

Well, back to the trainroom and do some more replanning-------:confused::D
 
Jeffrey, those engineering plastic handrails are great assuming they fit right. If not, everything stretches out like a rubber band. I'm still partial to metal hand rails.
You and me both. At least if they get to sliding they can easily be soldered in place with that liquid solder stuff.
 
BOC, we do seem to having the Panic of the Day mentality lately. The bank "stress" tests get annouonced tomorrow and that should set off a new panic, since the results are going to be worse than predicted. No problem though, no matter how bad they are, the government will give them money in exchange for preferred stock that can be converted into common. Within a year, the Bank of Ameria really will be THE Bank of America. :) Things are going OK though. The state of Hawaii just past a bill declaring September 24 "State Islam Day". :eek: I kid you not - here's the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090507/ap_on_re_us/us_islam_day;_ylt=AhlncKbSrGqv1fXJXY3n789G2ocA. Seems like there might be a little constitutional issue here. It's sure going to make it tough on all the hotels with roasted pig luau's that day. :D

All the rain is gone now and it's warm and foggy. Kind of weird after being used to California, where it was cold and foggy. There's another line of thunderstorms that has formed in the last hour from Birmingham to Atlanta for no apparent reason. Looks like we'll get some more storms tomorrow on the old outflow boundries from today's storms. It's certainly been an active spring down here so far.
 
Good morning people.

Boy, did I have a weird night. Get ready for a good night's sleep, get into bed--few minutes later get vigorous headbuts and 'MMM?--Meh?--megh?' from 'Spring'. Go to back of house where 'Spring' was running to--saw a shape running toward the street----AGAIN!!:mad::mad: I find my machete and then hear front doorbell. Lady down the crescent is at front door asking if we had someone at our door---then a small group of people with a couple of police officers shows up---the idiot #$%%^&&** was caught --out "ON BAIL"--for same dang thing:mad::mad::mad::eek:---All this in the rain----:(:confused::eek:

Now that I got that piece of oddment out of the way---the weather is all foggy and dribbly right now---oh great---Geese have now taken over our impromptu lake/pond:eek::rolleyes:---I'm hearing honking out back--that would've been more interesting. HOWEVER--The temperatures are supposed to go up to 20C and we'll have T'storms and rain with sun thrown in there as well;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm heading in for an early day at work---hopefully have time for visit to FLHS and see what is there-----Maybe find the MAY'09 issue of RMC?

Jim--Regarding the Hawaii thing----all I can say is-----eh??!(just imagine the look on my face):confused::confused::rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning!

The dart-throwers say there's no rain in the forecast for my region today. I'll believe that when I see it.

Jim, I don't see any constitutional issue with that Hawaii legislation. It mandates separation of CHURCH and state, but not MOSQUE and state!:rolleyes::p

BOC - What is wrong with that guy - is he the same one who tried to break-in to your place earlier?

I did some more painting of the streets in my business district last night, including the double yellow centerline. Doesn't look as bad as it did the other day.

Time to run, gotta take my girls to school and myself to work. Have a good'un!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Good morning.

It's 74 and cloudy. The high should be in the upper 80's and it will be partly cloudy.

Yesterday I worked on getting the SD24 and U30C ready for the installation of their decoders. I have one decoder coming in the mail and I have another (Bachmann) around here somewhere. The SD24 will get the DZ125. Had a derailment on the inside loop. Naturally it's at the back behind some structures. This means lifting out the park so I can use the access hole to get to it. Haven't fixed the car yet as the ditch is still too wet. I hope to have that done before Monday.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/7/2009


Heat Index: 78°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 72°F

So Far Today
High: 75°F
Low: 73°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph SSW

Today High: 88 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 70 Partly cloudy. Lows around 70. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN1172.jpg
 
Good morning folks

It was 62 F this morning on its way to 74 F. The pavement was drying as I headed out this morning. Overnight we had some heavy thunderstorms and are now under a Flood Watch. The ground is getting so saturated trees are starting to fall down. One of the major intersections in my area is closed due to down trees. We have more raining coming tonight.

I sat around the house most of the day waiting for the auto repair shop to call and when they did it was not too bad. The van just needed front brakes, no rotors or calibers replaced. I did get caught up on some odds and ends that needed done around the house. We also pulled the water lilies out of the deep end of the pond and moved them to the shelf. Next we have to repot one of them. It has literally burst out of it pot. My son’s baseball game was postponed due to the field being a mud pit. It is looking like my daughter’s game tonight will be also postponed. Last night we had Cub Scout den meetings.

Tonight I have to attend a public meeting for a project that I don’t know much about. The designer has been out for almost three weeks caring for his mother who has cancer. Due to the priority projects I have been working on since January I have fallen out of the loop on the project. Hopefully my part will be small since the locals seem to be more worried about traffic conditions during the detour.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Morning gang!
Well the rain moved out for a few hours yesterday, long enough for me to get the grass cut. It was already high enough that I had to run over a few sections more than once to break up the globs of cut grass. Still, it only took 3 hours including the trimming. The rain returned last night breifly. Ken, don't let em fool ya, this mornings sun will give way to more rain!

Karl How does a person stand a caboose on end?---Is this guy rational?:eek::confused:---and tearing around--tell him where Bonneville is--THAT is where one does speed trials:rolleyes::eek:
I've got a plan for the next time he is running behind me. 1st, I'll act like I actually like whatever engine he is running, to sneak a peek at his DCC address. Then I'll dial up his engine and place it in my throttle under "recall". Next time he gets too close, I'll recall his address and e-stop him! :D When he asks whay his engine quit, I just shrug my sholders and tell him the system must have suffered an I-D-10-T error! :rolleyes: After I get some distance away,I'll release him!

Jim The junk on the wall stuff was funny!:D I bet you also get the other "unaswerable" question too! "Do these pants make my butt look fat?" :eek:

Women,,,jeez,,,pass the beer nuts will ya?
 
Morning, everyone.

Wow, quite a night here too. More storms started up here about 5:00 am and it has been raining a flood since. Looks like it's about to let up now but more may be on tap for later if we get enough sun to destabilize the atmosphere again. We've gotten 1.50 inches here but the towns just to east of us got much more and there's been widespread flooding. That's one of the reasons I bought a house on a hill. :)

BOC, what's the deal with guy? Is he just knocking on doors or actually breaking in to houses? Why doesn't someone just shoot him? Oh, I forgot, Canada and all. :) Down here, he probably wouldn't get a second chance before Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson had a talk with him. :eek: Sounds like Spring makes a fine watch cat. Ours wouldn't know if an entire army broke in.

Ken, maybe you've got a point. Is a mosque technically a church? I'm pretty sure Islam is still a religion though. A pretty heavily armed religion, but a religion nonetheless.

Karl, I do get asked the usual "answerables", mostly while I'm hanging up junk. That's a double whammy, since I have to lie about two things at once. :D Sounds like a good plan with Speed Racer. I'm sure you'll have him cursing all the lousy wiring jobs on the layout before you're done.

Phillip, indeed, I'm almost ready to believe anything at this point. It seems like we've collectively gone insane. :(

The NWS has just issued more flash flood warnings for the area. A narrow band of moisture keeps feeding storms right over us. There are more cells developing to the west, which I guess is what prompted the flash flood warning. I just heard that the towns to east of us got between seven and nine inches of rain in the same period we got an inch and a half so I guess we were lucky. It's quiet right now but I guess I should find out where I stashed those hip waders. :rolleyes:
 
I made a temporary repair to the cars power steering line. I now believe that it was the high pressure line that got damaged as it has has a metal core of flex tubing. It was ruptured right at the point where the rubber (with metal inside) line joined the metal tubing coming from the reservoir. The best I could do is cut the fitting off and work the hose onto the tubing and clamp it with a hose clamp. It'll have to hold until I can get it to a repair shop.
 
I get home to a keyboard full of fluff.:cool:

Well, Had a good long day at slaver----I mean, work:rolleyes::D. I've got more fun paperwork to contend with tomorrow and PAYDAY!!! Now CFO just woke up with list ofgotta buys:eek::eek:

The fellow that was around ---believe it or not:eek:--was the same dang fool as the last go round:mad::mad::mad:. Apparently, he has a 'mental issue':rolleyes:----I'd say he has----:mad::mad:

We also now have Geese nesting in that near permanent pond/lake thingee. I got told by them------HHHHHHHHHH!!!!!--well, gee, thanks!!:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
 


Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top