Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

This man is a GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!



Now, if I can only remember this tidbit of wisdom when I think I've "won", I'll be much better off!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHT!:mad:Keep it down do you want her to hear?:(:confused::mad: Man I got her thinking I'm an Idiot and I can't do any thing right!:D The Less she thinks I know, the I less I have to do! Mess a enough chores up and dang near die in a couple others and she will not both asking you to do it again!:D:D:D:D Watch Bill Cosby's' "Himself" That's great husband 101!
 
boc We have a Chevy HHR that does really well on the gas plus it has room to haul some stuff with the back seats down. I am not sure if Hoosier cabinet would fint in it or not but would come closer than the Audi. I like the looks of the HHR, it reminds me of a 1953 GMC Suburban. This is the first vehicle I have had in years that has not given me back pains. On trips I usually have to stop every 2 to 2 1/2 hrs to stretch but last summer we went to Cookeville TN and I was able to travel 6 hours without a break and no back pain. I am now have some minor trouble getting in and out of Glendia's 2002 Olds Intrigue because it sits lower than the HHR.
 
We got a question for you people out there----I've been driving an Audi-Quattro from the 1993-5 era. I'm thinking of getting something that Audrey and I can do our yard sale, backroad and sightseeing trips with that has SPACE!!:eek::eek:---we need that at some point----ever try hauling home an 19th century/20th century Hoosier cabinet with a Audi? Not a lot of space and it don't like pulling small trailers around----let alone camper trailers---:eek::mad:----Any ideas on what you found useful?:D:D

That has cargo van written all over it. You could get one with seats if they're easy to remove and then you can haul people or cargo. You could do the minivan variety, or just go for the big dog full sized one. Personally, I'd be looking for a full sized one with a V6. Lots of fleet vans come that way, and they're often priced quite attractively. A small, recently retired UHAUL (with the low loading deck and ramp!) might also do the trick, though it's not as versitile. A pickup with a hop cap woudn't give you a lot of headroom or security, thats why I'd lean towards the other choices.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Wait a sec,,remember, your talking about Chris here! :D

Besides, Confucious had this figured out eons ago, for he said,
"Man who fight with wife by day, get no peace (piece?) at night!

That's right, The rock in the yard has more smarts than me!




It's still single!:D

It's better to live on the corner of the roof than in the house with an angry wife!
 
That's right, The rock in the yard has more smarts than me!




It's still single!:D

It's better to live on the corner of the roof than in the house with an angry wife!

We have an interesting way to do things here!!!

Audrey agrees with the things I say:D:D:D:D

I agree with the things she says:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And the both of us continue each in our own merry ways in how we do things!!!!Heeheehee:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D





U see ------

It makes things SSOOOOOOO much easier-----:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes::D





So there----:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D
 
Good morning, where is everybody at today? 9 hours without a post - been awhile since I seen Flo's place as quiet as this!

As I predicted, the dart-throwers have changed their forecast again: Now it's supposed to be sunny most of the day. But I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if I hadn't taken time off from work yesterday to mow my front lawn. It's a variant of Murphy's Law, just like it never rains unless I forget to bring my umbrella to work. But in this case it's actually a good thing, since the grass in the back yard still needs cut.

Well it's "official", i.e., the order has been placed and an in-store pickup ticket printed - we're replacing the 5yr-old family 'putor with something a bit more modern. I'll be picking it up from BestBuy as soon as I finish mowing the lawn. The reason I'm excited is not for the new machine itself, but I'll be taking the old one and setting it up in the trainroom, so I can use DecoderPro to handle all my CV programming needs. I just hope this won't require me to be online since I don't have ethernet cables long enough to reach from my FiOS router at the opposite end of the house.

I see there's a lot of talk about arguing with wives. I guess I can consider myself blessed, Vicky and I rarely argue about anything (notice I didn't say "never" ;)) I guess that's because we both want this marriage to be the one-and-only for at least the first one of us who dies. Unlike over half my siblings who got divorced before they reached their 10-yr anniversary.

Hope yall have a great Saturday!
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Good morning.

It's 72 and partly cloudy. The high today will be pushing the mercury into the high 80's. It will be partly cloudy.

Changed out the couplers on the two new Atlas locos yesterday. The Accu-mates were consigned to the scrap heap as they were exchanged for Kadee 148 Whisker couplers. I went to the local scrap yard and got the part I need for my car. Looks like I'll have to wait until the end of the month to have it installed. That's gonna be $$! Looks like rain is coming tomorrow so I'll be mowing the parents yard today. That should take up 2 to 3 hours and it'll add another $20 to the MR fund. I had a derailment on the inside loop last night that wiped out several sections of fence along the east side of the Shell station property. There won't be much to putting it back up. It's the cheap snap together Bachmann stuff.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/9/2009

Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 70°F

So Far Today
High: 74°F
Low: 72°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph NNE

Today High: 88 Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 70 Partly cloudy. Lows around 70. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/DSCN1207.jpg
 
Good morning folks.

My father in law stopped by unannounced last night. He had gone to his childhood home and retrieved his Lionel train set. Our house is on the way. He said he had it when he was five to ten years old. He's sixty five years old now, so it's quite old. I don't think he has much of an attachment to them. He was wondering what I thought they were worth. I told him probably not much. All of the old track is corroded, the engines and cars themselves look to need some work. I don't know if they'll even work. He seemed a little let down. I think he wants to get rid of it. To be honest with you, I think I may be the recipient at some point. I think it would be cool to fix them as best I could and run it around one of my Christmas trees. We'll see.

I've certainly had fun working on my trains this week. The trestle has consumed my time and the layout. I had stuff EVERYWHERE! While my Father in law sat and chatted with my wife, I cleaned and sorted the layout. It was quite productive. I cleaned enough off to run a few trains back and forth. Well, that's it, I have to install the trestle this week so I can run trains while I work!

I hope you all have a great day. I'm off to work.
 
Good Morning---clearing all the furbits off the keyboard here.

We're getting some sun this morning with the showers showing up later and ending this evening---winds expected to be up to 80kmh later today as a cold front ---or some such ---moves through----Highs for today and tomorrow are going to be 17C and 11C. But tomorrow will be a bit on the windy side---:eek::confused::rolleyes:

We, here, argue rarely, as per my previous post---mostly because we figured out that there are things best left to the one who knows more about the dang things:D:D---she knows stuff and I know stuff--we work on issues together------:D:D:D

Today is going to be a day some MR stuff gets done----our back yard has been taken over by Geese---there is a full out lake in the back yard---and I already had taken neighbour's Bush Hog to our grass areas----thank goodness for meadow/cottage gardens!!!:D:D:D

PC I'm kinda thinkin' that a cargo van might be an idea---Audrey isn't so sure about teeensy minivans---either:eek::D:D

You all have a good one-----:D:D:D:D
 
Morning from Charleston South Carolina. Fellows,there are two reasons that today is going to be a good day for me,one is that I am on vacation,and having a rather good time, and two, TODAY IS MY 42 BIRTHDAY! :D:cool:. Yea,guys,I am going to spend the day with my brother and his family,and he and I,are going to go and see the Hunley,over at the old Navy base. But,get this,the first attempt,the place where the Hunley is,was closed for some reason,so when we left out,from the base,I happened to spy a couple of old L&N cabooses tucked in between to buildings on a spur track. I also found a third caboose on a CSX freight,that was parked on a siding,:cool:. I was able to get a few pictures of the third caboose,but because of where we were,I didn't want to attract to much attention to myself,lest someone were to run us off. Also on the way out from the old Navy base,I also noticed the railyard located there,that is used for the dock area,and the paper mill. I will try to post some photos when I get back to Bama,so until then,Miss Flo, could I have a piece of cake,and a glass of diet coke? Take care guys,and have a good'un:cool:. William.
 
A bit of joe here, Miss Flo.

Lunchtime on the ol' nursing home layout. I ordered Pizza Hut today. We are bit short of help today, only seven guys should up. I kind of expected a few not to be here today. Laying track today. Always slow going. We placed a bunch of structures that will be serviced and started working back to the main. We still have a lot to do.

I "pre-weathered" the rails this past week. at least that part is done. Still have a bunch of weathering to do yet. It is near impossible to get beyond the "hurry-up and wait" of model railroad modeling. If we can make good progress today, I will begin putting the "matrix" for the plaster cloth on this week, maybe even start some of the hills. I've only got a few more weeks until we move to the new house. Gotta make hay while the sun shines.

I am not looking forward to the slowest part of the project ......ballasting. That has to be the most tedious part of the whole project. I bought 12 jugs of the stuff yesterday, that should more than do the job.

Well, the work whistle, my 5-chime steam replica that is connected to my air compressor, is a-blowin'. Time to get back to work. I hope the neighbors don't call the police again.

Bob
 
My Walther's order finally came in today. That's two banded lumber stacks, two National Oil Company kits and a Digitrax DZ125 decoder. Now I can finosh up one project and start on another.
 
Hiya gang!

Happy Birthday William!!:D

Ken, you only need to go online to download Decoder Pro. Now if you want to do the updates (about 1 every 2 months) you need to go online for that, OR get a thumb drive and dedicate it to the trains. You can DL your updates onto the thumb drive on the "family" unit, then just walk to yours!

Gonna try to get whatever train time I can today. We just got back a little while ago and the Ranger was throwing a fit. Best I can tell the RF brake caliper locked up. The last 5 miles home it was dragging bad, bad enough that the trans temp shot up. I had to keep both hands on the wheel to keep her straight. It's too hot now to touch, so I'll play with it tomorrow. I'm thinking I mught as well bight the bullet, and get 2 calipers, 2 rotors, to flexible lines and a set of pads. Oh yeah, and grease seals for the front hubs. Just what I want to do tomorrow, fight 4wd hubs on a 21 year young truck!:(
 
My trainroom is now a mess--when is it NOT a mess?---and I got to the point wherein the track was relaid into a different configuration. Now i've got to figure out what to do with all the excess baggage in here----as I trip along--:eek::D:D

Karl I had to completely redo all the brakework on that Audi.:eek: That job you got is not fun!:eek::eek:. Then again---if you paid someone to do this-----ouch:eek:

Bob The thing about ballasting I never did like was how one would be stooped over for so long. The I discovered that I had to do something different every so often---otherwise get up with a cranked neck--:(:eek:

I'm going back to my box now and do some pondering-----:D:D
 


Evening, everyone.

Been doing nothing but honey-do's to prepare for Bunco at the house Monday night. Don't ask me what that is except it's some kind of game women play and they yell and laugh a lot. The good thing is that I should finally be able to get down to the layout with three solid hours of not being asked to do anything else. I painted, changed toilet seats, put up new curtains in the bathroom, replaced a burned out halogen lamp in the bathroom fixture, and replaced out American flag out front. All this in between questions like "how come my computer won't come on?" (plug was out) and "How come my camera battery won't charge?" (battery was in backwards). :) Apparently, part of Bunco is a household inspection to make sure you're a good housekeeper so that's why we have to do all this work even though the house looks fine to me. I guess I'd have to be a woman to understand.

Chris, you're generally right. Arguing with your wife does no good. If it's just a matter of taste, I usually defer to her because the only thing I notice is things like a wrong paint scheme on a locomotive. If it's something major, we can usually discuss it and come to a reasonable agreement. This was much easier with my late wife after 38 years of marriage. Only being married for three years is kind of like learning to ride a bike again.

CJ, Highway 82 about two miles east of my house was completely washed out by the flooding. There must have been some huge variations in rainfall in a short distance since I only clocked 1.57 inches and there must have been at least 4 inches where the washout occurred. Of course, the fact that the area was logged last year and none of the logging debris cleaned up contributed to the little four foot culvert becoming completely blocked, which took out both the culvert and the road. DOT is now scratching their heads about what to do but, judging by the amount of K-rail and barriers they have set up, I don't think we're going to see the road opened again any time soon.

William, good to see you again. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! We're looking forward to seeing your pictures.

BOC, I've got a Suzuki Grand Vitara and it can carry an amazing amount of stuff with the back seats down. It gets 26 mpg on regular, has a 100,000 mile warranty, and has been totally reliable (except for those danged headlight bulbs. :mad:) for the 47,000 miles I've had it. The 2006 through 2009 models are basically identical so, if you can pick up a good used one, you'll have a good vehicle. It handles really well too.

Corey, that Lionel set sounds like another project. It would be cool if you could get it running around the tree. If I didn't have four cats, I'd get a G scale set for the tree but they'd destroy it in a heartbeat.

Ken, I really need a new computer. I'm using a PIII laptop with a lousy 512 Mb of RAM and my 40 Mb hard drive is always 95% full. I've been looking at new laptops but the prices keep plunging so I'll hold off for a while yet. This old piece of junk is really getting on my nerves though, with all kinds of error caused by low memory.

Bob, ballasting is both my least favorite but most satisfying part of building a layout. It's tedious, makes my neck hurt, and slow. When it's done, though, the layout starts to look like a real railroad. Is your back pain upper or lower? Have you ever been screened for sciatica? That's a common cause of back pain that starts in the middle of your back and runs down your butt. Both my late and present wife have it and, in both cases, Soma was the only thing that did any good. It beats all the narcotics out there and doesn't leave you dopey all the time.

Jeffrey, having been both single and married, there are times I wish I was still single. :) However, the support and love of a good wife is hard to beat, as much as I complain sometimes. I hope you can get that brake line replaced without it killing your wallet too much.

Josh, I hope your taillight lense is easier to replace than my headlight bulb.

Shoot, I probably forgot a bunch of other people. Sorry. There's lightning to the north and it looks like we are going to get some more storms in the next hour or so. None look too severe but they are real slow movers. I hope they fall apart or start moving faster before they get here. The soil is so saturated it can't take much more heavy rain. Unfortunately, it looks like we have a much better chance of all-day thunderstorms tomorrow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top