Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuek tank problems

Good morning everyone, big problem this morning. My mother’s oil fuel tank devolved a pinhole leak and I had to buy a new one for $670.00 and try to get it installed today. What a pain. The old tank’s outside but not an easy place to access. I guess I’m going to have to pour a concrete pad for the new tank because the old one was sinking badly. Getting ride of the old tank is a future problem I’ll have to deal with. No golf or rail fanning or any thing else until this project gets done.

NYC_George
 
Good Morning--We're going to have a high of 23C and sunshine---for now. Supposed to cloud up and a chance of showers/thunderboomers this afternoon and evening.:):rolleyes:;)

Going to do some stuff for a client today and then fiddling around in the gardens--maybe. If not, then I'll sit in the trainroom and do some thinking about loops and stuff--:confused::);)

NYC-George--a concrete pad might help on that issue--I've seen a few wooden ones using old rail ties as well. As to old tank--OY--:eek::eek:

Jim I've been doing some thinking about the overall scenery as well. IF I have to go helix, the idea of stretching some loops out to scenic the thing sounds/looks interesting, BUT. One thing I've been kicking around was an escarpment going up to the second level. The excuse for the second level is to make some space for a mine(coal) that we found a pic of out in SW Saskatchewan---more south central but ---oh well.

Well--have a good'un ppl
 
Good morning folks

It was 39 F this morning as I headed out. High today will be 72 F. It is supposed to be 87 F tomorrow and Sunday. It is hard to believe that we are currently under a Frost Advisory.

I didn’t make here yesterday due to a combination of being busy and feeling under the weather. At first I thought my allergies were in full bloom. However, I think now I picked up a bug of some kind since yesterday I had a low grade fever and felt really beat all day.

This weekend no one works! First time in a couple of months. We are thinking of taking a ride out to Lancaster County and visiting a Wolf Sanctuary that my wife talked to several months ago. After that we may visit Strasburg on the way home.

I hope everybody has a good day.
 


Good morning. TGIF!

It's 66 and cloudy. The high will be in the low 80's and it will be partly cloudy.

Yesterday I put new lights in the Ace Hardware and Jimmy's Barber Shop structures. This required taking the buildings apart to get at the old lights. I put two lights in each. One to light the first floor and the other to light the second and third floor windows. I then carefully reassembled the buildings, dust them with white chalk as I went along to bring up the mortar lines. Too many small spaces for the paint routine. Later this morning I have to go see the foot doc again so he can poke and prod my feet some more. I took steps last night to acquire another KCS 'Southern Belle' hopper from another modeler. The final details should be worked out today.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/24/2009


Wind Chill: 66°F
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 64°F

So Far Today
High: 67°F
Low: 66°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 9mph NNE

Today High: 82 Mostly cloudy. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 62 Partly cloudy until late night then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4230194.jpg
 
Good morning everyone.

We had quite a busy day yesterday. Unfortunately, most kids had sports going on. We only got rid of a third of the tuxedos. We have 130 left. The problem is that we are only open until five thirty tonight. Looks like this afternoon will be busy! That's okay, busy means money, and money means a happy boss!

I had said something about my wife liking tulips and wanting to go to a tulip festival in Iowa. Well, wouldn't you know, the newspaper had an insert promoting things to do in Iowa. My boss said that it is a pretty drive down there and that I should go. He proceeded to plan a trip for me to the tulip festival, a stop at the Blue bunny ice cream factory, and a trip to a train museum. I said that the plan would require the Saturday off. He said " I know, you now have Saturday off."

The nice thing about it is he knows my wife is going through hell at work right now. She has had to close five of her gas stations and let go of about fifty people. Some of these people have been working for the company for thirty years. She feels absolutely terrible. Her stress level is to the max. It's nice to have a compassionate boss. It's one of the reasons I took the job instead of working for a larger company.

There will be no modeling this weekend. Too many other things going on.

I hope you all have a great day.
 
Evening, everyone.


Karl, I'm surprised at the number of diabetics here. I wonder what the relationship between model railroading and diabetes is? Maybe we spend not enough time exercising and keeping our weight down and too much time pigging out on sweet stuff while we work. :confused:

A cup o coffee here, Florence

Karl, I'm surprised here, too. The trains are my winter/rainy day activity. In the summer, I am MUCH more active, yard work, bike riding, fishing, boating, the grandkids spend summers with us.... I was diagnosed while managing a garden center 7 years ago. There is a lot of exercise running, literally, one of those beasts.

Also, during the summer, I usually shop for "stuff" for the winter projects. I guess that better weather and road conditions here in Indiana make that a given. And there are more yard sales to find the "gems".

Well, I've got "company" coming tomorrow to work on the nursing home's layout. I need to get something accomplished today to make sure we have the supplies we need to be productive. I know I need some paint and hardware. I need to run to Fort Wayne and get some cork roadbed for the switches too. And my favorite RR shop, called and he has a few things that his customers have donated. I was heading to Indy today on the motorcycle. Looks like I'll head north instead.

Some more packages(4) arrived today from contributors with a grain elevator(ADM), a couple of backdrop industries and a rural elevator/seed company. Also have a couple of factories, a signal tower, trackside structures, and a freight house. One package contained a $50 bill taped to a lightly used Spectrum DCC 4-6-4 K4! Another contained (6) Pennsy HW passenger cars.

It's amazing to me the generosity of some that have contributed in these times. I know that these pieces cost some change. Thank all that have contributed. Truly a blessing, at least to me. I had thought that I would have to sponsor most of the financial burden myself, but these gifts surely lessen that load. Still would like to get a bit more rolling stock and a few more more industries for the mainline.

Lunch is ready. Time to feed the tapeworm. Then get the better half on the back of the bike and motor off.

Bob
 
"I'm surprised at the number of diabetics here. I wonder what the relationship between model railroading and diabetes is? Maybe we spend not enough time exercising and keeping our weight down and too much time pigging out on sweet stuff while we work."

Jim...It seemed to me that the instances of diabetes was/is higher in the South/Southeat. While in NC I worked at a dialysis center and it was only one of MANY in the town. We had 40 bays and we treated 3 patients in each bay every day except Sunday. Right before I left, we finished another section which held another 20 bays and it was booked. Not ALL of the pts were diabetics, but I believe it averaged around 90% diabetic-related.
I sincerely believe that thorough reseach should be conducted in the area and prevention programs be provided. The numbers were frightening.

(I always thought that sweet tea had something to do with it. 1/2 sugar 1/2 tea! Ew!) :rolleyes:


Sandy
 
I am actually surprised how many people I know are diabetic. I just found out wednesday one of my newer friends from school is diabetic, and I know a few other people my age that have had it all their life. Luckily, it is looking pretty good for me on not getting it genetically.
 
Flo, gotta change up, I need an iced tea. All of that ridin' made my mouth dry.

Wow, whatta day for a ride on the bike!!!! We only fell of twice. Need to get training wheels, I guess. Only kidding. Made a trip to Fort Wayne. The better half in tow. I think I'm a bit burned from the wind. IT WAS WINDY!!

we stopped by the favorite train shop to pick up some supplies for the weekend builder's spree to the nursing home. I'm sure glad I've got saddle bags....they were FULL!!!! We had some more contributions from the locals up there. Engines, rolling stock, more switches, trees, a couple of bags of "grass"(the legal, model train stuff from WS), and other various things.

Again, anyone that is on this site that has sent things, THANK YOU!!! Still need a couple of more structures, a coaling tower, a water tank, and some other miscellaneous buildings. A few more #4 and #6 switches may be needed also. We'll see how the plan comes together. We will need a couple of double slips, too, for the passenger depot. I thought I had some. But, I must have thought wrong.

Sandy, I read somewhere tht diabetes is the fastest growing disease in today's society. No wonder really with the number of people that do not watch their diet. Mine is hereditary. Mom, Dad and my grandmother all had it. My acquiring it was pretty much in the cards. Dad wasn't diagnosed until just before his death to cancer. Mom and her mom had it for some time before each of them passed on.

Corey, we used to have five businesses. We are moving and decided to sell them rather than close them. All five were purchased by employees. The last thing I did before selling the last of "my" businesses was to lay myself off.

Well, the "boss" wants me to peel potatoes. Gonna be a good supper!!

Bob
 
Afternoon, everyone.

George, too bad about the oil tank leaking. It sounds like quite a job getting it changed out. I can only imagine the EPA issues getting rid of the old tank.

BOC, as long as you've got the space to have a straight run and keep the grade at 2%, an escarpment or anything else will work. You can even use a zig zag pattern of escarpments to get more run in less space although you still need enough room of a decent loop between them or a switchback. There are lots of ways to climb a steep grade but my experience is to avaoid the steep grade to begin with unless there's no other option.

Carey, sounds like you have a great boss. enjoy your Saturday off and have fun. This is a really stressful time to be in management, as was shown by the apparent suicide of the CFO of Freddie Mac. I'm really lucky to be retired and not have to deal with laying people off.

Bob, aren't model railroaders a great bunch? :) It seems like they are always ready to give time, talent, or money to a good cause that includes a layout. Sounds like you are going to have a real layout for the folks at the nursing home. Is there an address you can post where we can send contributions? A list of what you still need would help since I know I have things sitting in the closet that could have a better home.

Sandy, the South has just about every disease known to man, including the occasional case of malaria. I suspect the relatively high rate of obesity here is the main contributor to the diabetes rate. Of course, the obesity is bought on by diet so the two go hand in hand. Alabama was number one in the nation for obesity until last year, when those rats over in Mississippi stole our title. :D Eating high calorie food, and lots of it is a way of life here. OTOH, we have a lot of happy fat people here. California had a lot of unhappy thin people. I still like it better here. That sweet tea thing is a little much though. I still can't get used to downing that much sugar at one time.

Man, it's blazing hot here. A high of 92 with very low humidity. Feels like being back in Nevada. I think the conditions that were causing the thermal ducting are probably gone but it sure was weird hearing the CSX dispatcher in Jacksonville wiping out the Montgomery dispatcher last night.
 


Good evening shop dwellers, TGIF.

BOC - Good luck with running your track to that 2nd level. I've decided I'm not ready for something that complex just yet.

Jim - I don't have a clue about what "thermal ducting" is but it sounds like its causing some weird phenomena down there!

Corey - enjoy your rare Saturday off! ;)

George - my sympathies on your fuel tank issue. Ours is underground - I wonder if IT has a pinhole leak? Our most recent heatiing oil bill was unexpectedly huge, I thought oil prices had dropped over the past 7 months:confused:

Bob, as soon as I get home I'll have a look on my 'surplus' shelf in the trainroom to see if I have anything you guys can use...

All this talk about diabetes, at least that's one malady I haven't been dianosed with so far...but I'm swallowing 7 different pills every morning to fight my other chronic conditions [blood pressure, cholesterol, esophagal reflux, ...] Diabetes doesn't appear to be prevalent in my side of the family; OTOH, my wife's not so lucky. Her [late] father had it, and she got gestational diabetes when she was pregnant with our daughters.

Guess it's time for me to join the Hordes on the Highway. Toodles!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Got some paper work done for a client who is unfortunately going to a nursing home---things were getting a little too weird :(:(

Got home and ended up starting up The BBQ!!---ohno ohno--Had some BBQ pork and a bunch of grilled veggies----remember portion control? Meat size of deck of cards!!:):)---'Spring' kept trying to get after the asparagus would you believe it!!:D;):eek::eek::):p

All the talk of Diabetes made me kinda wonder recently. If we went to a diet more associated with vegetarians how fast do you think we'd lick this issue? Note--I did not say Vegan--which is ALL vegetable based. Plus the ever popular b12 tablets. I'm kinda thinking that we could do just that--BUT--what'd you think?
 
Flo, I've got time for one cup of coffee. Union break time.

All, Those of you that wish to contribute,I will PM you my address should you so desire to give. Too may crooks and crazies for me to post in the open. Just let me know.

We will use anything sent. We have two depots already and a third, I swapped a third for two houses. #8 switches are needed as is cork roadbed for the switches. I have some straight but hate to cut it down for fear of running out of that.

The era of the layout is the 1940's-60's. Many of these folks grew up in the 30's thru 40's and remember their youth. We have a new Spectrum K4 that has been donated and I am giving another as well as an 2-6-2. I have duplicate numbered K4 engines and was going to put it on eBay anyway. At least this way I avoid the crap of mailing it out. And they haven't been going for much anyway. So, no loss.

We need a switch engine or two and rolling stock, cabooses(or is it cabeese?), maybe an early diesel or two. Structures needed are a grain elevator, although I have a small one I can "steal" from one of my modules. Industries are needed for the switching modules.

All of the yard will be hand switched and the mainline will have tortoises. I have ordered the tortoises with the money donated. They will be here next week. The LTS is making sure that they are shipped directly to me. And I got them at cost, good deal.

Any scenery can also be used. I am making my "weed" trees but any can and will be used. Figures could also be included. I have a few but not nearly enough.

Well, break whistle is a-blowin'. Time to get the workshop cleaned up and ready for tomorrow. Get the coffee pot ready. These guys can consume of the joe that's for sure. I hope that Tom, one of the guys, leaves those stinkin' cigars at home tomorrow. Smells like he follwed my dog around and wrapped what the dog deposited. Foul is an understatement.

Later all.

Bob
 
All this talk about diabetes, at least that's one malady I haven't been dianosed with so far...but I'm swallowing 7 different pills every morning to fight my other chronic conditions [blood pressure, cholesterol, esophagal reflux, ...] Diabetes doesn't appear to be prevalent in my side of the family; OTOH, my wife's not so lucky. Her [late] father had it, and she got gestational diabetes when she was pregnant with our daughters.

Hiya Gang!
Ken, I also get a breakfast of pills every day. Metformin (diabetes), blood pressure and cholesteral meds, along with fish oil, multi-vitamin, and a baby aspirin. Lucky for me is that the wife greets me with a smile, a kiss, and a mug of coffee as soon as I open my eyes. Makes the pills easier to swallow!:D

Bob, I too was diagnosed when managing a dealerships repair shop. Constant movement, but also a lot of stress. Plus being 80 pounds overweight at the time and going through a divorce. I guess all the stress plus the weight was the killer here. I lost the weight, changed to a less stressful job, finished the divorce and started dating my current wife, and everything got better! Diabetes medications are half what they were, and my levels are more normal than ever. I was predisposed to it (thanks Mom!) but the new lifestyle makes it more managable. BTW I think what you are doing for the old folks is great! Need some rock castings and scenic stuff, let me know!
 
Went over to my sisters place to talk to her for a bit. My niece's great dane puppy is almost as big as her pit bull. It won't be much longer before the dane will be stepping over him.
 
(I always thought that sweet tea had something to do with it. 1/2 sugar 1/2 tea! Ew!) :rolleyes:


Sandy
Official recipe for true Southern Sweet Tea:
In a 16 ounce drinking glass, combine:
14 ounces refined white sugar
2 ounces water into which has been brewed orange pekoe/pekoe cut black tea
Stir well
Sweeten to taste.
:eek:
 
Official recipe for true Southern Sweet Tea:
In a 16 ounce drinking glass, combine:
14 ounces refined white sugar
2 ounces water into which has been brewed orange pekoe/pekoe cut black tea
Stir well
Sweeten to taste.
:eek:

Is it syrup or something else? I like my tea sweet but not that sweet!! 14oz is almost a pound!!!

Bob
 
Official recipe for true Southern Sweet Tea:
In a 16 ounce drinking glass, combine:
14 ounces refined white sugar
2 ounces water into which has been brewed orange pekoe/pekoe cut black tea
Stir well
Sweeten to taste.
:eek:

Call that coma in a cup!!!!!!!!!!!
 


Official recipe for true Southern Sweet Tea:
In a 16 ounce drinking glass, combine:
14 ounces refined white sugar
2 ounces water into which has been brewed orange pekoe/pekoe cut black tea
Stir well
Sweeten to taste.
:eek:
YUCK! That's for someone who likes a little tea on their sugar!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top