Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.

It's 71 and cloudy. The high will be in the mid 80's and it will be partly cloudy with a small chance of thunderstorms.

Yesterday I was busy putting up the fence that goes around most of the Shell station property. It proved to me just how patient I can be at times as the fence demonstrated a propensity to lay down on the job in sections and as a whole. Finally I got it to stand by sticking satin pins down on each side of it. Once it was standing I was able to glue it into position. Today I'll take the pins out. Now folks stopping at the Shell station will settle for the ice cream sold there instead of running over to the Freezee ice cream stand on the other side of the track.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/25/2009


Wind Chill: 70°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 66°F

So Far Today
High: 72°F
Low: 70°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 39mph SSE

Lake wind advisory in effect from 10 AM this morning to 6 pm cdt this evening.

Today High: 85 Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Breezy. Highs in the mid 80s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph in the morning becoming south and increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight Low: 65 Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4250220.jpg
 
Good Morning. We're at 19C with the high going to 24C today. Sunnny right now but we will be seeing rain in for this afternoon into tomorrow with the ever popular chance of thunderstorms and such.:(:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As for the Sugar Tea----we went out for a bit to our local coffee shop. Saw someone there pouring about the same amount of sugar into his coffee:eek::eek::confused:

As for this little puppy, i'm going to pick up some organizers to round up all the sundry bits/pieces flapping around in the trainroom---otherwise known as "clutter haven", "den of disaster" or the ever popular "lair of chaos". :eek::eek:Sometimes we both --my wife and I -- are amazed we find things in there:rolleyes::rolleyes:

You all have a good one.:D:D:D
 
Is it syrup or something else? I like my tea sweet but not that sweet!! 14oz is almost a pound!!!

Bob
I really observed that recipe in action by an employee at a small restaurant in St Augustine, Fla.:eek: About the time I saw this, our server wandered up to take our drink order. She wondered why I specified "UNsweetened tea".
 


........ BTW I think what you are doing for the old folks is great! Need some rock castings and scenic stuff, let me know!

Anything you can spare we will use. The layout is creating its own identity with all of the contributions. Although it is not full by any stretch of the imagination.It is not going to plan but evolving. I will PM you at my next opportunity.

All, taking our lunch break. Burgers on the grill!!! The better half is one fine gal. She keeps us fed and in refreshments. We have a couple o the residents from the home here today as well as a couple of new guys that weren't here last week.

Things are going slower today. Laying the preliminary track design. We may need to add a module or two, for the industrial switching, but I kind of expected that. The turns were just too tight.

Well, back to work.

Bob
 
All this talk about sweat tea reminds me of a lab where we super saturated KClO3 in water. Once you add a crystal or hit it hard enough, all the extra comes out. Kinda fun to do.
 
Hi fellows! Bob, can I join your Railgang for lunch? Tell them hi from us all.

On diabetes, my wife has it. She was fine until she had to take Prednisone a few years back. That caused an enormous weight gain and she's been fighting her sugar levels since. I checked out good on sugar Thursday and with a 5.5 on the A1C test. However, my cholesterol is just over borderline and I had to switch meds for it.

Southern Ice Tea is not for my glass. Ice Tea with nothing but a twist of lemon is my style. There was a day that 100 proof Texas Tea in a coffee mug was just fine.

Been way too busy this week doing the prep for our camping trip coming up. Got the RV cleaned up and waxed, all systems checked out, the wife restocked everything, and now to wash/shine the pickup for a match. I think that I will take a few small kits to work on, while sitting by the river and during those moments of needing to do something important :rolleyes::D.

Had some friends over last night for some train fun. All the signals worked great, the auto block protection...like a charm, but.......seems I forgot to change some routes in the routing control to reflect the new wye on the mainline. Yup, near pasture meets on the first go:o:o. That was quickly cleared up and everything went smooth from there on. Having fun like this always justifies the expense and time in this hobby.

Well, got to get washing the pickup. CUL:)
 
We received our Japanese Zelkova tree yesterday so today is tree planting day. I am planting it about 15' north of the walnut we cut down last year. Cut all of the sod out of the area and placed it around the stump of the walnut tree. The tree is in the ground now all I need to do is get the scalloped edging placed around the new tree and the mulch spread. All that sod cutting is hard on an old man. It has taken me about 4 hours to get this far. I think I am finally learning to pace myself, something I have never ever done and it feels kind of good not being completely exhausted just kinda tired. Plus the shoulder is telling me to take a break so I is.
 
Flo, I need something cool, refreshing and relaxing. Been a tough day.

All of The helpers have left for the day. Not as productive as last week, though. We ran out of road bed. I didn't think we would be going in that direction today, wasn't my plan anyway. We still haven't permanently anchored the track but do have it sort of in its place with pins. We also decided to hold off a bit on laying track until some of the contributions come in. We may be taking next weekend off to give everything a chance to come in, evaluate wht we have and proceed from there.

Many thanks to all that have given. The layout will definitely be more than we had planned and will definitely make the folks happy. I am humbled to be truthful. I never thought that we would receive so much from those of you in the hobby. Bless you all.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Afternoon, everyone.

I think that sweet tea recipe may be a little overdone but not by much. When my wife makes sweet tea, it's about half sugar and half tea, which still sets my teeth on edge. She thinks it's just right though. :)

Jeffrey, patience is a virtue when you're doing small details like that fence, I always tend to rush things and regret it later.

BOC, I'm always amazed at the amount of sugar some people put in coffee. I like mine with just some half and half and that's it. Any sugar makes coffee taste terrible to me.

Terry, it took me a few times when I first got here to learn not to order iced tea unless you told the waitress unsweet in no uncertain terms. They still give me funny looks every time I do that.

Bob, got your PM and I'll be going through my unorganized stuff to see what I have. I'm like BOC when it comes to not knowing where everything is so the best way I can organize some of the stuff I know I won't ever use is send it out the door to you. At least you'll probably toss it out if it doesn't get used. :D I don't know what you're planning for power yet but I have a Bachmann E-Z Command DCC controller and outboard DC powerpack sitting here that I'd be happy to pass on to you if you think you can use it.

Larry, tree planting is hard work. I planted a pear and apple tree in one day last year and it took my body about three days to recover after digging those huge holes. None of us are as young as we used to be, even if we hate to admit it.

Sunny and hot here with no hope of rain until late next week. High was 93 today and it looks like it's going to stay hot for a while. Rex, seems like you'll have perfect weather for the camping trip. You'll probably have the nicest looking trailer and pickup in the campground. My motorhome is starting to show the signs of weather again so I need to wash and wax it. Only took me about two weeks last year. :eek: I don't know why I wait until it gets hot to think of these kind of things.
 
All this talk of sweet tea hurts my teeth! When I moved to NC, I started asking for 1/2 and 1/2 tea. Now that I am back in CO, I drink my tea unsweetened, again. I have made the mistake of NOT asking for unsweet tea in the South and I tell ya, that first sip is a killer! :eek:

As for the vegetarian diet...many of my friends are vegetarian and some are vegan. I was a vegetarian for many years (gave it all up for an ARBYS RB sandwich in Tuscaloosa ;) ) I have friends who have never eaten meat...ever. I do feel better when my meat intake is very minimal, but then Summer comes along and everyone fires up those dang bar-b-que grills...Drats! Veggie hot dogs and veggie burgers just aren't the same. :rolleyes:
 


Hey...just a quick question...how do I chnage my avatar picture thingy? I have done it once before, but cannot figure it out again. :confused:
 
That's a nice looking Great Dane. The one my niece has is a gray one. His father stands 34 inches high at the shoulder. They expect this one to be about the same size. Good thing she's a radiologist. WOW! Can that dog eat!
 
Is it true that a Great Dane only has a life span of 5 years? I saw something on TV about that and it said their heart is not strong enough. Shame, if true...they are beautiful animals.
 
Most larger breeds have short lifespans. Danes are around 6-8 years. I had one that lived to be 11, but she lived past the norm.

Bob
 
I just got in from running around in dang T'storms all afternoon!:eek::eek:

One T'storm was so energetic it tore off about a 16' section of flashing from an apartment building across the street from our mall.:eek: That, and seeing several sparks, arcs and what all else from a couple of transformers from a pole that was swaying a good 2' to and fro:eek:---then discovering that all of 'em were doing that dance.:eek::eek::confused: That dang wind was so strong we had two trees tore out'n front of the grocery store we go to.---get home and find our anemomter stuck at 146kmh:eek:

It is going to be a night full of wind and thunder----this does sound like the start of a BAAADD book:eek:;);)

My tea and coffee stay by themselves thank you very much---:)
 
Is it true that a Great Dane only has a life span of 5 years? I saw something on TV about that and it said their heart is not strong enough. Shame, if true...they are beautiful animals.
The average is 7 to 10 years. My uncles lived to the ripe old age of 12, but he was a smaller Great Dane, only 26 inches at the shoulder.
 
Went out for dinner with my sister tonight (regular Saturday night thing). We didn't feel like getting anything fancy or spicy this time so we settled on Pizza Hut. We shared some Cheesy bread and pizza rolls and I had half a large thin crust meat lovers pizza. I brought the other half home. It'll be a snack tomorrow.
 
Evening gang!
No choo choo stuff today....:( Spent from 7:30 this morning til 3 chasing yard sales all over the county. One was a town yard sale, about 5 acres of vendors. Only 1 guy had any HO stuff, and it was grossly overpriced. I don't get it. We saw the same guy, with the same stuff last September at another flea market. I thought the point of doing these things was to sell stuff! Not tote it around forever!:confused:

Finally got hot enough to turn the AC on on the way home, and it didnt work!!! Heck the truck is 21 years young and has never been charged. The AC was a little weak the last 2 years, so a trip to the local parts store netted 2 can of refrigerant and an adapter kit and a recharge hose and in no time I was looking at a 38 degree cab! Brrrrr!!!!!!!!!!:D

Sandy....go to the user CP at the top of the page, you can edit your profile and avatar there!

Rex, want to wash & wax my truck and trailer too??:rolleyes:

Well, gotta rest up now. Midnight is slated for a B-A-T-H tomorrow:eek:
This oughta be fun!:rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Went out for dinner with my sister tonight (regular Saturday night thing). We didn't feel like getting anything fancy or spicy this time so we settled on Pizza Hut. We shared some Cheesy bread and pizza rolls and I had half a large thin crust meat lovers pizza. I brought the other half home. It'll be a snack tomorrow.

WHOA!!! Pizza, one of my LOVES, is also one of the foods that drive the old blood sugar to the moon and back. Another thing is saltine crackers. Neither are good for me. Make me VERY sleepy. Good indication that the BS is high.

Another odd thing is that tomatoes tend to bring the blood sugar down.... Freaky.

Bob
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top