Coffee Shop Number 16

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning---We're at the mighty 2C with a hard rain fallin'.:mad: S'posed to get to the high of only 4C today with rain pretty much all day. We may see a peek at some sun tonight though.:);)

No work today so I'm going to get some time to clean the trainroom and THINK of doing some expansion of the layout---heeheehee:D:D:D

Flo---I'll have some toast and a giant tankful of coffee please-----:eek::D:D:D
 
Good morning folks
It was 50 F on my way in this morning. High toady will be 59 F. Hopefully there will be no rain as my wife has an outdoor event for work today.

We took my son out to Friendly’s for his birthday dinner last night. He also got his new Nintendo DSi last night as one of his birthday gifts. He had to trade in his old Nintendo DS Lite. When we were coming home we encounter a rather nasty lightening storm. Some of the lightning strikes were pretty close including one as we were going from the van into the house. We also worked on some last minutes things for the Arrow of Light and Crossover for tonight.

No modeling last night.

My son thanks you for the birthday wishes!

I hope everybody has a good day.
 
Mornin Gang!
Flo, big mug-o-java please!:D
Looking for a high of 63 and sunny skies today, slowly climbing up to the 80's by the weekend!!! :D Bout time!! :D
Got the lawn cut yesterday just before the torrential rains and penny sized hail hit. Wife arrived in the middle of it, and was soooo happy my car wasn't on the carport! I got brownie points for that one! :rolleyes:
I pulled whats left of the foam out of the garage last night so I can work on the Orphan Creek module today. Soon the Pycho house will have a home!
Now I just have to remember where I put my hot wire foam tool.:confused: This oughta be good for at least 30 minutes or so!!!:o
 


Good morning.

It's 55 and clear. Weather guesser says it's gonna be 85 and clear today. We'll see.

Got more work done on the layout yesterday. Part of that was to change out the lights in the Belvedere hotel. They were a mite too bright! In fact it looked like aliens were attempting to beam in. And no wonder. I had put in bulbs rated at 3.5 volts. I pulled them out and put in new bulbs rated at 6 volts. Now the hotel looks normal. I also reworked the track in the north engine house so the tracks are side by side instead of one being at an angle. This has resulted in one of the track sections having no support on one side. I'll have to put a shim under that section. Either that or market the loco parked there as the leaning GP40 of Knutsville. I also started work on the brick foundation walls of the engine house. Nothing special there. The walls are just pieces of foam poster board with a printed brick pattern glued to them. One side came out alright but other side needs some work still. The engine house already looks much better. It had been sitting on some blocks of foam pushed under the corners for a couple of years simply because I hadn't had time to get to it. No plans set for working outside yet. Went down and looked at my parents yard yesterday. It's still too wet to mow. I'll give a couple more days to dry out then I'm mowing it whether it's ready or not. If I don't it'll be too thick and be really messy.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/22/2009


Wind Chill: 59°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 55°F

So Far Today
High: 61°F
Low: 55°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 0mph NNE

We're still under flood warning here.

Today High: 85 Sunny. Areas of fog early in the morning. Highs in the mid 80s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 58 Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4200144.jpg
 
......No work today so I'm going to get some time to clean the trainroom and THINK of doing some expansion of the layout---heeheehee:D:D:D.......
Thank God, I'm not the only one with this phase of the disease.:eek::D

Hi everyone! Hope your morning is going well.
Yesterday was a day for installing four Tortoise machines and another decoder for them. Naturally, a couple of them where in very tight, neck stretching, and back wrenching areas of the layout. Boy! I am paying for that.

Today, I have the Comcast cable guy coming to install their phone system. Haven't a clue to the reliability of the system other than the sales pitch, but thought we would give it a try. It is independent of their TV and Internet and is all digital. You keep the same phone number and have unlimited long distance, call waiting, conference, forwarding, #ID, etc. for $39/month. With this type, you don't need the computer on and the modem has an eight hour battery backup. ATT is starting to push the limit on cost with all their extra charges. If this doesn't satisfy the need, then we go to total cell service.

Almost time to prep the camper again. We will be heading out Monday for a week in the wilds. I will give her a good wash down tomorrow and start the check-out of all the thingies after my yearly physical with the Doc.

:)Hope all have a very good day!:)
 
Afternoon, everyone.

Been away on family things. Diana's mother got out of the hospital on Sunday and is much improved. Dianna went in for a liver biopsy on Tuesday morning so up at 0530 for that. All went well though and we'll see what the results show. She has had Hepatitis C probably since 1982, when she received many blood transfusions after a car accident. So far, it hasn't advanced very far and I hope it stays that way. Tricky disease to deal with especially in her genomes, which are the worst in terms of any of the current treatments working. We'll hope that her liver remains in good enough shape until they come up with a treatment plan that has better than a 25% chance of success.

Larry, sorry to hear about the job. I don't know what happened but it sounds like someone was about to get punched if you didn't get out of there so maybe it's for the best.

Tom, Happy Birthday to your son. How old is he?

Phillip, looks like you picked up some really nice stuff for your bike. You could indeed pick up a fair number of locomotives for what you spend on a classic bike.

LTF, there always seem to a few real nutcases at trains shows. I suppose there are some at any kind of hobby show. There are model horses in just about every scale so don't let that influence you. Brass locomotives really will put a dent in your pocket book and many of them don't really run all that well so they are worth more as collector's pieces than runners. I hope you don't have asthma with all the dust you're stirring up sweeping. I actually remember frying an egg on the sidewalk in Cleveland when I was young. Yours look much more appetizing. :)

Karl, looks like a beautiful cat. At least one of our four is always in my chair and will sometimes move if it looks like I'm going to sit right on him. Most of the time, they just move back a little so I have about three inches of butt space, which is obviously how much space the cats think I need. :rolleyes:

I just realized I'm never going to get to everyone's comments so I'll just say hello to everyone and hope things are going as well as they can. It's a beautiful day here in the Heart of Dixie with clear blue skies, low humidity, and a temp of 81 degrees. If we could bottle this and let it loose in July and August, Alabama would be paradise. :cool:
 
Need some joe, Flo. Coffee pot headed south this AM and I.ve been jonesin' for a cup of the stuff since lunch time. Looks like it may be a Wal-Mart kind of evening.

Started laying the track(for real this time) on the yard module for the nursing home. I'll start ballasting this evening after supper. I weathered the track, placed switches and throws, and got all anchored down and wires attached. I hate soldering.

I put in 8 ladders and a runaround. That should be enough, I hope. After ballasting(the whole module is ballast it seems), I'll place a few clumps of grass and "weeds". Went together much easier than I thought. But this is my "umpteenth" yard so I should be somewhat proficient.

I've got to keep an eye on eBay. I've got bids in on a bunch of things. Mostly engines(like I need more), but they are steamers and those I am a bit short. Some structures for my next challenge, a steel mill, and a bit of old rollingstock including a couple of passenger sets, Wabash and C&O.

Larry, I've been unemployed(sort of) since October, 2007. I've had my other endeavors to keep me occupied, but no commitments to be somewhere at a certain time for wages. Tough out there that's for sure.

Jim, happy to hear the good news about you MIL. I hope your wife can get some good news too. My cousin received a transplant a few years ago. He, too, obtained Hepatitis C from blood transfusions following a car accident. He's on disability now and is one of my favorite fishing partners. His wife doesn't like fish so I usually get the bulk of his catch, if we're lucky enough to catch anything.

Phil, we might be in Indy on the bike Friday. I'll let you know. Maybe we can meet up and have a sandwich or something(I'd probably favor the "or something"). Weather is supposed to be favorable.

Bob
 
Bob I will also be near INDY Fri but on the far west side in Avon and Danville. Youngest daughter and husband just bought a new house and this is moving weekend so I will be one tired puppy sun evening I am sure. Moving and blinds to hang will definitely wear me out. Oh well I have now got the time and do need something to keep me out of trouble for sure.
 
Hi all!

Boc - hope you made the best of your day off. I always have the inspiration to expand my layout, it's the perspiration part that holds me back!

Jim, I was wondering what happened to you - figured it must be something family-related. Hope Diana’s biopsy comes back negative.

Karl, I must have been out mowing at the same time you were. I left work 3 hours earlier than usual (as I do on all Tuesdays) and decided to finish the mowing job I had started on Saturday. Maintaining a lawn my size is a challenge when both spouses work full-time and the kids are in school.

Bob – I see you listed a steel mill as a possible layout feature. Is that for the nursing home layout or your own pike? It’ll provide lots of interesting operation scenarios if you decide to go with it.

Rex – looks like your headin’ for some more wilderness action. Do you ever stay anywhere near an active mainline? I did when I went camping as a kid in Michigan, the GTW was right across the lake and I could hear the trains while they were still 5 miles away. Man, those were the days…!

I’m still at the office as I type this, so I guess it’s time for me to post and run. I hope to finish my Rite-Aid building tonite so I can photograph it tomorrow evening, in time for the next WPF. So I probably won't be back here this evening. Sorry I didn't comment on everybody's comments, but I just type too durn s-l-o-w....!
 
Good Afternoon, evening, whatever this is....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, we certainly got rid of a lot of junk out'n this place---I now have space to add a 7'6"X28" section to one part of the layout --hence---expanding my EMPIRE!!!MWAHAAHAAHAA!!!!:D:D:D---cough cough---aherm---started to sound like an imperialist---aherm--:eek::eek:

Now comes the fun(?) part. I have been thinking about eventually adding a second level to my layout using a 'nolix' type of affair. Now--considering that the total measurements for this thing NOW is at 13'X11'X15'(with the 7.5' extension added), could I conceivably do a Nolix if I want to go up to a second level if it be 15" higher? What do you guys think?:confused:;);)

Jim Hope all goes well with your wife's tests--we'll pray for her and you as well--take care---
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Flo, need a cup of Colombian.

Well, just got back from Wally World. Lord, how I hate that place!!! The greeter says, "Come back soon." I think to myself, "Next time I send the wife."

Been working on the nursing home's yard. Almost done. Run the wires an check the switch circuits and if they work we're done. Started on a couple of structures for it too. Had to add some paint for a bit of color. The acrylics kept gumming up the air brush so I went to the trusty brushes. Thankfully, it was just windows an doors I was painting.

boc, I cleaned out a closet a few weeks ago and found things I forgot I had. But, you need to look at your added room from a different point of view. More dollars are gonna be spent.

Ken, the steel mill will be mine for the "modern" layout. I was talking to a friend who has started his steel module. Looks like it might be one of the more expensive ones on my layout should I forge ahead. Just a thought and I need a challenging project. Yards used to intimidate me but, having built so many, they are almost second nature now.

I already have a grain distribution module(s). Adding some there too. My layout is mostly ag with some industrial switching and passenger service. My yard is HUGE, always movement there. Actually the yard is the centerpiece. I would advise everyone to build a LARGE yard and let everything happen around that. The passenger depot is fun to with all of the switching and track.

Larry, the better half wants to ride this weekend. I'm tied up with the nursing home layout Saturday, and want to go fishing Sunday. That leaves Friday....Might even get one of the bigger boats wet Sunday. If the fish are biting, I'll stay on the boat until Monday evening. Got heat, a bed, fridge, stove, head, TV and DVD player. I'll be OK.


Phil, paint that baby dark red, add a bit more chrome and take off the windshield, add a clutch pedal and a shifter, and add a few years it would look kinda familiar to me. My front fender has the lighted Indian Head too. Changing the seat on the Harley tomorrow. The better half says the B-pad hurts her butt. We can't have that. She's cranky enough without having a sore ***. I've had the new seat and backrest for about 3-4 years and have never changed them out. Procrastination has its benefits.

Well, gotta go. More paintin' to be done.

Bob
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya Y'all!
Flo, nothing for me cept a seat! The Mrs. made some big old jiucy steaks on the Forman grill tonight.......I couldn't help myself! :o Burp! Excuuuse me!
BOC, I'm jealous! I want more space, but I'm fenced in right now!:(
Ken, I know about that cutting grass by yourself thing. Last summer and part of this year I have been without Jan's help with cutting. Too many surgeries and the bouncing of the tractor on bumps didn't agree with her. Hopefully in a few weeks (now that she has had her final one) she'll feel good enough to take the little tractor out for a few hot laps!
Jim, Glad to hear the MIL is improving, hopefully soon you'le get some good news from the wife's doctors! BTW, I heard "paradise" had a minor earthquake yesterday......did you feel it??
Bob, Don't get Ken started on steel mills! :eek: (he's got one!):D
Rex, I hope you enjoy your trip into the great outdoors! Some folks have asked me if I go camping, all since I put a cap on my truck. I have to inform them that the cap is for module transport only. After spending 4 years as a Boy Scout I've had my fill. My idea of "roughing it" is a hotel without room service!:eek::D
Well I ripped out a large part of the scenery from the Orphan Creek Module, replaced a bunch of foam and started roughing in the foam to the new shape. The whole thing should be done in time for WPF.....provided tomorrow works as planned. Friday my sister and I have to take my folks out to a round of DR.s appts. Oh, boy! what fun! Walker races in the hallway! :D It usually shoots the day for both of us, but they took care of us when we were young, so now it's our turn to take care of "the kids".
Flo, I've changed my mind.........got any Tums? If so, I'll take em, you can put them on Chris's tab!:D
 
Guess what!

I got my bike back today! They've had it a few weeks doing a bunch of stuff. Brakes, seals, tires, electrical........

Those tires make a world of difference in the handling. And they look fantastic! Check out the before & after.........

OMG!:eek: It's a beauty Phil!:D
 
Evening, everyone.

Thanks for the good wishes. The best we can hope for from the biopsy is minimal damage that's not advancing fast. That gives us more time for them to develop more effective treatments. The problem with her taking the chemo now is that the chance of success is less than 25% and, if she's a non-responder, she wouldn't be able to participate in most clinical trials.

Tom, congratulations to your son for getting into the Boy Scouts. It is one of my most pleasant memories from my childhood.

Bob, I hate soldering too but it sure sounds like you're making a lot of progress on that nursing home layout. I's sure like to have a steel mill on my layout but I'm afraid the citizens of Hillside wouldn't tkae too kindly to having their whole town wiped out by a steel mill. :D

BOC, 15" is a heck of a grade to climb without using a helix. You'd need 1500" of run to get up and then back down that hill on a 2% grade. That's 125 feet. :eek: I'll let you decide.

Phillip, I think your bike takes the prize for the most fringe. :) Must look great on the road though.

Karl, we've had several earthquakes in Centreville, which is about 54 miles from me. They were very shallow, at less than 1km, and the largest was 3.8. We are a little too far away to feel anything unless it gets over a 4.0. This is an ill-defined area of old faults that has produced 5.0 earthquakes in the past but very rarely. Most of our earthquakes occur in a fault in the Gulf of Mexico off Mobile. Ever since I've moved here, there's been a general increase in seismic activity. It is, of course, my fault, as any of my neighbors will tell you. :)

It's clear and warm here but a line of thunderstorms has formed in north Alabama and Georgia and is headed south. There is no weather feature I can find to have caused these storms to form. Several in Georgia look pretty severe, with hail approaching 1 inch diameter. I'm continually baffled by the weather down here.
 
Good morning folks.

It's a windy day in the Midwest. We will have our first day around eighty degrees with winds at thirty to forty miles per hour. I'm not sure if that kind of weather sucks or blows!

Jim, count me in on the well wishing for you and your family.

Philip, nice looking bike. Are you sure you don't want to spend thirty grand on a bike that would look like it but not run as well?!:D

Tom, congratulations to your boy for his next step. I still have my arrow floating around here somewhere.

Bob, I think that's great what you are doing for those folks. It must be a blast!

I think I'm just about ready to start securing all of the pieces to the base. I need to build up the plaster around the piers once secured to finish forming the contours of the river bottom. Now I need to decide how to paint the river bottom to best represent the actual river. This river is known to carry a lot of sediment, so it pretty much has to be brown. Looking at pictures I have, I've also decided to not do the river at full depth. The main reason for this is that I can't pour a river deep enough.

I have the busiest day of our year today at work. It's our first and biggest prom weekend of the year. We'll have over two hundred kids picking up their tuxedos with only four dressing rooms to try them on! Our company has been doing this for eighty five years, so we have the system down pretty well. The best part is having twenty grand in the bank after the weekend is over. Then we get to do it again next weekend.

I hope you all have a great day!
 
Hello---We're at 1C going to a high of 10C in the sun---if the dang clouds do clear up! The weatherguessers have us going to a high of 24C tomorrow but as per usual clouds will be in the mix with a chance of showers and a risk of a T'storm----:rolleyes:

Have some running around to do for work and a honey do list showed up---ohno ohno:eek::eek:

Oh---my nolix idea will be for N scale---I could put a blob on both ends as well so who knows----I'm just being piculous :D:D:D
 
Thanks for the support. I feel so much better today, the last couple of days the nerves were a little shaky but that is all gone and my sugar is below 100 for the first time in months. I must have had more stress than I realized plus not eating after 7:30 is a big help also. I do not have to try and work in the yard work around my work schedule, get to sleep in speaking of which my sleep has been much better this week. Well as soon as it warms up I will be on the weed wacker and then the Kubota to finish the mowing that got started last night.
Boy I wish I was eidetic . (see word of the day thread)
 
Last edited:


Thanks for the support. I feel so much better today, the last couple of days the nerves were a little shaky but that is all gone and my sugar is below 100 for the first time in months. I must have had more stress than I realized plus not eating after 7:30 is a big help also. I do not have to try and work in the yard work around my work schedule, get to sleep in speaking of which my sleep has been much better this week. Well as soon as it warms up I will be on the weed wacker and then the Kubota to finish the mowing that got started last night.

I did not realize just how one's bloodsugar can go awry just through stress until my wife took ill a few years ago. Little to no sleep--up at weird hours, strange times for eating, odd hours for work--(this last one in particular--don't get home sometimes until 5am---then turn around a get only 3hours sleep--back to work. This on my own business). Your body can handle only so much stress( it is more what those stress hormones do to the body, physically) and boy does it tell over time:eek::eek:

Take good care of yourself--you'll find it gets better over time--once the body gets a chance to heal, which it does:):)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top