Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Toot, You should be jealous! This Mikita drill is the best tool I've ever owned. It was especially handy when I lived on my sailboat. It get's in tight places. Not sure they make them anymore. This is my second one in twenty years. Jim :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
CONTEST, CONTEST, announcement. As promised when we got 50,000 views I would have another contest. The contest will take place NEXT Saturday, (a week from today), at 1500 PDT. This should accommodate our friends from Downunder, as it will be Sunday for them. I don't know of any participants from Europe, but they will have to set their alarm clocks.

The two photos will be posted at 1500 PDT here on the US West Coast.

Each photo is nearly identical. You have to find TWO differences in the second photo.

FIRST person to correctly describe the two differences will be declared the winner.

If contestants can only find one difference each then the two prizes will be shared. First response gets first choice.


I don't expect anything other than one person getting both answers so that person will win both of these prizes:

IMG_4037.JPG

The building is the laser cut building that appeared on the ore tipple scene earlier. The log car is one six I have and is scratch built. Good luck, Jim
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I learned about this thread from your thread telling people you had this thread....Congrats on 50k views...:rolleyes:
 
I got a PM asking if I had forgotten about the bridge building posts. No, I have not. I will post the photos and techniques after the dust clears from Saturday's contest. Jim:)
 


Thinking. That's good.

In the meantime here is a progress photo up to this point. You will see I have to do the water in the front, finished the fascia board and add some nice molding to the front of the water to hold the water in.

IMG_4308.JPG

Most of the scenery is done. Three more trees to build. I'm always asked how I do this so quickly. Another habit I don't think I've shared is I always plant three or four Super Tree bushes or small trees each time I enter the trainroom. It takes very little time to break off a a couple of prepainted Super Tree clumps, spay with hairspray and sprinkle on some ground covers. I punch a hole, add glue, and plant the bush wet. Takes about 90 sec. a bush. No reason in the world to have your plants 'drying' on the workbench before you plant them. By planting them 'wet' you will probably have some of the ground covers fall off the plant on to the ground. Well, this is okay. Aren't leaves falling on the ground all the time? More realism !You do this 5 times a day and you will find your layout is done much sooner.

Contest tomorrow. Jim :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Contest

In appreciation for all the good input and everything, here is the Contest.

Your job is to view the two photos. In the second photo there are TWO differences. First to find them BOTH wins the cabin and the log car. It is easy to find a winner as first post in with the correct answers wins.
Good luck. Jim :)

Photo 1:

Contest No. 1.jpg




Photo 2:

Contest No. 2.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In first photo wood in front of largest building is different. The shed in behind the man walking down the path has a white gable end in the first photo and is red in second picture.
 
The piece of wood (previously mentioned) was moved from behind the oil tank to in front of it (counts as 2 differences)
 
The piece of wood (previously mentioned) was moved from behind the oil tank to in front of it (counts as 2 differences)

The piece of wood has been moved (as I said) and the white patches are smoke/steam coming from a boiler blowing in opposite directions.
 
I also notice that the outer most piece of wood in front of the big shed is sitting at a different angle than in the first photo. In the second photo the front locomotive is slightly further to the left than in the first photo.
 
3rd attempt. an extra piece of wood in front of the oil tank/large building and a change in direction in the smoke from the boiler.
 


Thats what it is, smoke. I never even noticed the boiler. Just thought the gable on the building had been colored white. Time for a better monitor and maybe some new glasses.LOL
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top