Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Comparing the 2 pics I would say I prefer the non-zoomed as a picture i.e. as a scene it has depth and for instance makes the distance between the loco shed and the contest's subject shed that much further apart (and easier to detect). Being taken from a slightly higher position also helps.

But if you wanted to make it more of a "find the hidden object" type competition or as you did a "find the object that wasn't there before" then the zoom has brought the small shed sufficiently forward to make it look as though it might be a part of the loco shed and cunningly disguised it.
Whatever, both photos are worthy contenders for the background/wallpaper prize.
 
I like them both, but I too, prefer the second picture. I think it looks more realistic. The barrels and logs on the wharf are bigger in the second picture giving it a feeling of depth. That is missing a bit in the second picture. The 1st pic's barrels in the front are a little bigger than the ones in the rear, but the difference isn't as noticble as in the second picture.
Also the mountain in the background looks much closer further compressing the scene. If I was trying to get more background detail, I would use the 1st shot and for an overall view, the 2nd. Glad you posted the second pic. I never realized there were those differences. Maybe it can be used to some advantage in taking future photos.
 
Good comments fellows. This is the goal of this thread, having readers take the next step whether they're thinking about photography, layout design possiblilities in limited space, or scenery issues.

I like the second one as well. The zoom photo was used probably because, like Toot said, it makes the new building too obvious to be the center of attention.

Next Contest will be at the 50,000 hit mark. Jim :)
 


Just another thought on these two photos. If you look at the engine house you can see that it doesn't sit straight anymore. When tearing up this part of the layout I either dropped it or grabbed in the wrong place, I think grabbed, and actually did the house more damage that the nearly trashed ore tipple.

I haven't reglued the engine house back together yet because I have to scenic and lay track behind it and I seem to hit it from time to time. Hitting it now it has some give to it so I don't think I'll damage it anymore. In the front of the engine house the peak from the roof to the door opening is completely split apart. Jim:(
 
Just another thought on these two photos. If you look at the engine house you can see that it doesn't sit straight anymore. When tearing up this part of the layout I either dropped it or grabbed in the wrong place, I think grabbed, and actually did the house more damage that the nearly trashed ore tipple.

I haven't reglued the engine house back together yet because I have to scenic and lay track behind it and I seem to hit it from time to time. Hitting it now it has some give to it so I don't think I'll damage it anymore. In the front of the engine house the peak from the roof to the door opening is completely split apart. Jim:(

Haha, I thought that was all part of the plan Jim, makes it look rustic.
 
Toot, Rustic was not what I had in mind when I took the photo. The zoom photo does come out looking a bit rustic. I equate 'rustic' with old. This layout is supposed to portray buildings at the 4 or 5 year old mark. Jim:)
 
What is the one thing most home layouts should, but don't have enough of? Culverts and other water drainage things.

I posted a photo last week showing the latest construction. The one with the tunnel and plaster cloth. Here is where I left off last night.

IMG_4067.JPG

I got a cold last Thursday. I would like to blame the 'contest' blunder on the fact I was under the weather. Nope, I took the contest photo on Wednesday. So last night I was ready to glue down this section of track. The cold is still bugging me and I decided to it the next morning. As luck would have it this scene kept me awake some of the night. It just wasn't right.

The track was on a grade. I'm modeling one of the rainiest places on earth. Where is the water running to?

Thankfully I didn't glue the track. A few minutes ago I cut out the hole you see here.


IMG_4069.JPG
This is going to allow me to model natural drainage and have a realistic water course. No pipes, just rock and wood. But, I think it will give some 'life' to this scene.

I find I do this quite a bit. I do draw the track plan initially before I start and have a rough idea of what I want when finished. But, with me, as stated before, it's the journey to the finish that I like doing the best. So don't be afraid to make changes as you build. I find that 'changes' are usually good things. Jim:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the first fill. I will use stucco patch when this plaster cloth hardens. Should be neat to see what happens here. Jim:)
IMG_4070.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Toot, Rustic was not what I had in mind when I took the photo. The zoom photo does come out looking a bit rustic. I equate 'rustic' with old. This layout is supposed to portray buildings at the 4 or 5 year old mark. Jim:)

Must be my "rustic" eyes.:o
 
It's all the little scenes that make a layout (or a picture) look real and create interest.

Just looking at where the tunnel entry is, will there be enough "rock" between the tunnel portal and the track above it to look like there is enough to support the roof of the tunnel?
The reason I ask this is, on my club's layout they decided to put a new track through a tunnel that had an unrealistic amount of "earth" above it, then tried to disguise it with a planted crop on top, has always looked wrong. A cutting with the tunnel entrance further in where the scenery rose up would have been much more realistic in their case.
 


Thanks. That's right. Only Jim knows for sure. As stated previously, I may know what I want but there seems to be many new ideas in the way.

Many times in this thread is the comment, 'you sure work fast.' Yes, I do. I do not skimp or cut corners on scenery and quest towards realistic scenery however. I cut corners other ways. In the photo below you can see drying wash on rocks in the new scene area. Instead of playing computer games or something I cut out the remaining trackbed to finish the layout. Yesterday, while the new 'rock' was drying I measured and cut all the beams I will need to support this turning circle. I will put all this aside while I get the new 'scene' completed, then I will be able to work by reaching over the new edge of the layout.

Since you guys like to speculate, what is going to go in the middle of this circle? Jim:)

IMG_4072.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmm??,

As you've got a piece of ply extending out from the bottom of that new watercourse it could be a small lake or pond which would then empty into the sea beneath the circular track (requiring another scenic bridge). As you're going to need to raise the circular track above sea level, some sort of depression in this inner circle looks inevitable, although a long semi circular trestle with it's supports resting on the foreshore rocks would be a really spectacular design element.

But then, I could be way off the mark, hehe ;)
 
Another way of forming the support for the main line that will be on that circle, if you don't want another trestle, (might distract too much attention from the other ones) would be to build a raised embankment of the rock that would have been removed when they built the tunnels (had to be dumped somewhere).

This would fit in with the need to create a pond for a reliable fresh water supply for the miners/loggers camps and the steam locos.
 
Toot, Good points. Don't forget that I have a water tower right next to Pinnacle Creek.

Here is a photo of the 'scene.' It seems like this is taking awhile to me. I built the culvert bridge. It really can't be seen so the watercourse will be the focal point of this scene.

IMG_4073.JPG

As usual, I use my favorite weights to hold the track down while the glue dries. Next will be the tough part when I have to glue the track down on the inside of the tunnel. Not much room in there. This points out an obvious hazard of "reconstruction" and tunnel building after scenery is in. Sounds like fun, well maybe not. Jim:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
While things in the tunnel area are drying I thought we should revisit the 'contest' photo secret object, the new building.

When I got the pier and dock scene moved I found that my original, and the only laser kit on the layout would not fit. It was long from front to back, and I would need something long from side to side. So I had to build a new office/sleeping quarters building.

I was never really comfortable with the 'kit.' Nothing at all wrong with it, but it didn't fit with the other buildings. So here is the new building. It has a chimney on the back side and it located not on flat ground but up in the air a bit, thus the stairs. I still needed a somewhat 'funky' look so the stars look like they do on purpose. The stairs are laser cut and really look nice when finished. It is not easy making them look this way! Jim :)

IMG_4074.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You wouldn't want to be bleary eyed and half asleep negotiating those stairs in the morning (or under the weather).
Where's the workplace health and safety officer when you need him. (Oh, that's right, they didn't have'em then did they)
 


Thanks fellows. I still have to add some weathering to the steps and maybe some dried blood from the drunken falls. This brings up an interesting question: Many logging and mining railroads around the world were very isolated. Do you think they allowed alcohol to be used in any uncontrolled way? I'm not sure I've ever come across this question before. Anyone? Jim :)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top