Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I notice at the end of the cut through a tunnel or portal. Are you going to continue with the Scultamold as if the opening was just blasted through the rock? As usual, your work looks great. Makes me realize with winter coming on, I'd better get back to work on my layout. - Chris
 
Thanks Sherrel, a slow and painful week.

Chris, I had planned on a timber portal down there. I will have a blasted thru the rock on the other side. Fall just hit here this week. High 60's. ;) Last week it was in the mid 80's. No matter what it is always a good time for working on the layout.

Down the road is coming a segment on tunnels. Jim
 
Jim, is the game plan still for the portals or openings to be large enough for an On30 as well as the HO? And of course the slightly greater distance from track to rock wall scenery for curve clearance and the like. But of course you're double and tripled planned all of that. - Chris
 


Chris, On30 specs absolutely.....almost. I will measure my largest On30 loco and rolling stock to see how they will fit into the smallest portals. On30 is really not "O scale" and regular O scale stuff is too large for HO scale. Thus, I have to make my own portals I guess. I checked out some S Scale stuff, which I think would work, but failed to see something 'just right.' Jim:)
 
For this holiday season I though I would dwell on a topic that many modelers face and seldom overcome. Back in the day 4'x8' sheets of plywood were considered the norm. It was that rare modeler that built a shelf railroad or even one shown in my plans. Of course there is nothing 'wrong' about plywood as a base to build your layout. You keen observers are probably wondering what I'm about this time around as I seem to be using that '4x8' sheet of plywood myself! Well yes I am. Two sheets in fact!

Let's look at a few problems with plywood bases. First and foremost is that real railroads are for the most part built 'above' the surrounding land. Seems simple enough. You wouldn't want to have your railroad wash away in the first thunder storm. But, how do you do it on plywood? It is hard work. Where do you put the stream or river? How do you put in a stream or river? Of course you will have to saw the stream/river bed out of the plywood and then fill it in with river bottom using plaster cloth. Or you can go crazy and try altering your plywood base this way:

IMG_5816.JPG

At best this is not going to be a stream or river. I'm modeling, on my plywood base, a dry climate that only has to get rid of a 4 or 5 inches of rain a year. So maybe I can get away with carving and gouging a small water course or maybe I can't. Stay tuned. Second is the need for special tools to dig away the plywood layers.

IMG_5817.JPG

I can see some of you saying, "How did they do it back in the day?" Well, I'm guessing your father's, your grandfather's, and maybe yours, didn't come out very realistic. Of course using 4'x8' or any plywood sheet will be a good base for a two inch sheet of extruded pink or blue foam. THEN you can carve below your track to your heart's content. Here in Southern California we really can't get the foam or I would have used it on this layout. Since I don't have it, I have to resort to wood working tools and hammers. Bummer! So we'll see it I can make this work on plywood. Naturally I could have used the open frame bench work technique used on the original PCM&T layout, but what fun would that be? Jim:eek:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's just crazy enough, it just might work! Or a circular saw held so the blade is right at the surface and gently back and forth. Or a door knob hole cutter thing held right at the surface. Anyway, good luck. You're making more progress than I am. - Chris
 
This exactly why a 2" extruded foam over the plywood is best for the layout base. Its really easy to carve out rivers and streams.
 
I think you got the ... go crazy and do it this way... part correct! My question is: Why?
I am not sure that I even want to know. It's not as if you don't have the tools and knowledge.
Whatever was bothering your back has now moved to your head - lol.
 


You guys crack me up! Actually, I'm not the moron you think I am! For some of our viewers in N or Z scale carving out some layers of plywood can be a good thing. I need to show alternatives. Hope this photo makes you all more comfortable. Jim:o

IMG_5818.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You guys crack me up! Actually, I'm not the moron you think I am! For some of our viewers in N or Z scale carving out some layers of plywood can be a good thing. I need to show alternatives. Hope this photo makes you all more comfortable. Jim:o

IMG_5818_zpsf5a2240f.jpg

I never doubted you for a minute Jim, well maybe 30 seconds, but not a minute!!!!!

Mike
 
Just out of curiosity, will this dry wash creek flow into another creek or pond or just go off the edge of the fascia board. - Chris
 
I am just happy that we managed to chisel a return to normalcy back into your noggin.
Now, I am thinking that you were just funning us.
 


Stoker, That great solution brings us back to the foam on top of the plywood situation. Not happening this time around so 'good' modeling will have its day in the sun.

Happy Thanksgiving all. I will be back online Sunday. Cheers, Jim:D
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top