Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. S

    Your favorite locomotive?

    Your Favorite Locomotive My favorite is the Alco RS-3. It was the dominant diesel when I was growing up near the Boston & Maine. I have about a dozen of them on my HO layout. They are mostly older Atlas and Kato units that I have converted to DCC. Dave
  2. S

    Atlas Diesel question

    Help! I have acquired an Atlas HO power chassis part #37707 and don't know what shell(s) it fits. I haven't been able to find the info on the Atlas site. Any info is appreciated. Dave
  3. S

    Diesel update for Sweethome Alabama

    Nice Work! Out of curiosity, how did you proceed to replace the Seaboard lettering with the ACL lettering? I have a similar scenario that I would like to do without repainting the whole locomotive. Dave
  4. S

    PECO Switch (turnout) problem

    I have a new HO Peco SL-92 small radius let hand switch. Using the NMRA gauge, the width between rails it too tight. Running some locomotives over it pinches the wheels enough to derail the unit. Do you know of any ways to correct this that won't hurt or destroy the switch? Never had this...
  5. S

    free rolling boxcars

    I have to echo Eric's comments. I have tried various metal wheels and find that the Intermountains work best for me. You can buy them in bulk of 100 for about $60. Dave
  6. S

    Very Impressive - For What It's Worth

    No loud music or videos, just quiet. I got the install info at tcsdcc.com and then modified it slightly to my liking. TCS has a lot of dcc installations for various locomotives and situations. Their decoders and warranty are good too. The ebay prices seem to be quite high lately, especially...
  7. S

    Very Impressive - For What It's Worth

    Kudos to Kato. I just finished installing a DZ125 decoder in a Kato HO NW2. It was one of the most difficult installs that I have done, but the most rewarding. This little gem is awsome! It pulls like mad, is very quiet, and it's slow speed is impressive. I have 3 Kato engines and they are my...
  8. S

    Need P2K GP20 Help

    For what it's worth, I about broke my fingers off but got the fuel tank cover off. It was held on by old double stick tape. Now to find the problem. It seems to be confined to the front end drive area. Any ideas? Dave
  9. S

    Need P2K GP20 Help

    I replaced all 4 axles with no improvement. I used an NMRA wheel gauge as well. It still screams. The fuel tank cover has no screw or any obvious way to remove it that I can see. It moves a bit on one end , but is very secure on the other end. It does not budge!! VERY FRUSTRATING! I've already...
  10. S

    Need P2K GP20 Help

    Thanks for your input. I replaced the gears on the axles. Now I want to get inside to see the worm gears, etc. My problem is that I can't get the fuel tank cover off. Pretty dumb, eh? Does it pry off or slide off? Never had that problem, before. Trent, Im going to check the axles as you...
  11. S

    Need P2K GP20 Help

    I have an older HO P2K GP20 that I recently put a decoder in. All was fine for a while. Now the front truck assembly ( I think) sounds like a bird on steroids. I've removed the shell, I checked the geared drive assemblies (and replaced 3 cracked gears). My frustration is that I know something is...
  12. S

    P2K 0-8-0 opportunity?

    Thanks Wiso2, that's just the kind of info I was looking for. Guess I'll give it a go.
  13. S

    P2K 0-8-0 opportunity?

    I have a chance to buy a brand new HO Proto 2000 0-8-0 switcher for $135.00 from a trusted dealer. It is not DCC ready. My questions are: Is this a good runner and how hard is it to install an appropriate decoder? It doesn't have to be a sound decoder. I am somewhat experienced at installing...
  14. S

    ATLAS Custom Line MK IV Turnouts, Insulated Frogs & Atlas Snap Relay w/ DCC

    John, I don't have an answer, because my situation and question is the same as yours. Dave
  15. S

    HO P2K GP18 whining noise problem

    I liberally lubed the worm gear and bearings as Eric suggested. The whine has lessened considerably. It's hardly noticeable now. Thanks for all your help!
  16. S

    HO P2K GP18 whining noise problem

    Trent, thanks for the input. I had sparingly lubed it before, then test ran it. Thus, the whine. I took your suggestion of running it with a lot of cars (I used 10 correctly weighted ones) and the whine was gone. Took the cars off and the whine was back. Any idea why this occurs? The GP18 has...
  17. S

    HO P2K GP18 whining noise problem

    :confused:This has probably been discussed before, but I need a refresher. I installed a decoder in it and it runs fine, except that at about 9ish on a scale of 28 the thing starts whining and "singing" toward, or in the rear drive wheels area. Can't quite locate the exact source. The sound goes...
  18. S

    Buying wheels in bulk?

    Buying wheels in bulk Bulk is the best way to go, price wise. I've bought intermountain 33" and 36" metal wheels from ModelTrainStuff. They go for around $60 for 100. I like the inter mountain wheels very much. Not sure if Kadee, Proto, etc come in quantities of 100. Dave
  19. S

    What's with all the links all of the sudden?

    Thanks for all the interaction of ideas. I took Terry's suggestion and logged in. The embedded pop-ups went away. I hope that is the solution. It would have been nice to have been warned of the change. I generally only log in when I see something of interest to me. Guess I'll change my ways...
  20. S

    What's with all the links all of the sudden?

    Embedded links I too am getting these extremely annoying underlined pop-up links as of yesterday. Like Alan, I have done nothing to my PC to prompt this. I use IE 8 and no additional tool bars. What gives?? I don't need more unwanted ads! Dave




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top