ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I have a mix of rolling stock, Athearn, Atlas, Walthers, Roundhouse and Accurail. All the stock is within a year old and new except Roundhouse which is new old stock. Most of what I bought came with metal wheels except Roundhouse and Accurail. I replaced the Roundhouse and Accurail with metal wheels by Proto 2000. Every rolling stock I have is very free rolling even the Roundhouse with the new Proto 2000 metal wheels. When I push any Accurail car ( I have 6 of them ) on a track they go about 2 feet and stop whereas every other brand of car will go 5 or 6 feet or more. When pulling just the Accurail cars with a locomotive the drag is very noticeable the engine is working harder and I need more throttle compared to any other cars. Is the pin hole too small on Accurail trucks to accept the Proto 2000 wheels, or do I need different metal wheels or different trucks to fit the Proto 2000 wheels. I tried spreading the trucks wider by hand, that didn't work. Could I file down the pin ends on the wheels a bit, would that work? Thanks.
Those do help
I try not to use proto wheels (China ya know) Kadee's are U.S.A and about the same price.
free running wheels
Sounds like the reviews on the Micro Mark truck tuners are excellent, ordered one today. I order a lot of Kadee stuff, know they are made in Oregon, but I didn't realize Proto 2000 was China made, guess I didn't look. Thanks for your information and help. Bill W.
the only thing I did not like with the micomark truck turner is that it only does one side of the axel at a time. that means it takes 4x as long as if they had machined both sides to do both axel ends at the same time???? but it does help. I suggest installing metal wheels with a metal axel. the Proto2000s look nice and are better than all plastic wheels but the plastic axels will add more drag than a metal axel.
trent
I do not use Proto 2000 or Kadee wheels at all. If the car comes with metal wheels, I will generally leave them on unless they are Walthers/Proto metal wheels. Nothing rolls like an Intermountain wheel. Atlas wheels are good as well. The metal point that sits in the truck reduces friction, something that a plastic axle on a Kadee or Proto 2000 wheel doesn't do as well. The all-metal Intermountain wheel also adds weight and doesn't warp like the Proto 2000 axles do.
Intermountain wheels are a drop in replacement for most brands of cars.
I have been using Jay-Bee Wheelsets for about 10 years now. I do NOT add the car weights because the free wheeling trucks and the heavier jay-Bee wheels keep the center of gravity lower and I can pull more cars up a 2.5 percent grade.
I have to echo Eric's comments. I have tried various metal wheels and find that the Intermountains work best for me. You can buy them in bulk of 100 for about $60.
Dave
metal wheels
I don't change the wheels if the car comes with metal wheels like Athearn, Atlas, Walthers. But Roundhouse and Accurail come with plastic wheels. I have 5 Roundhouse cars with the Proto 2000 wheels which I added and they are all fine, extremely free rolling and smooth. It's just the Accurail ( 6 cars ) they all feel like they are stuck in the mud . I'll try the truck tuner hope that works, if not then Kadee or Intermountain wheels. Thanks for all your input and advise. Bill W.
I use Intermountain almost exclusively. I like Accurail's roller bearing and Bettendorf trucks. The Intermountain wheelsets will fit nicely and run well in the Accurail trucks.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)