Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. K

    what ground throws for code 80 peco turnouts??

    I want to do my layout in code 80 track. For turnouts, I want to get some #8 peco turnouts. What ground throw should I use? These are the caboose industries models: http://www.cabooseind.com/GroundThrows What if I go with code 55 instead? UPDATE: Reading around, it sounds like the 206s...
  2. K

    Best peco track prices online?

    Where are the best places to buy track online? I want to get some flex track (box of 25 probably) and some #8 switches. Thanks!
  3. K

    n scale modular build.

    Thinking something liek this. Roughly 12' by 4'
  4. K

    n scale modular build.

    This is kinda complicated. I am doing a layout that my kids will enjoy. And I'm doing it with them. A boy and a girl. For my daughter, I have a horse farm I want to do along with a princess castle. I think those could be treated like industries. My son wants atleast one wood scene and...
  5. K

    Help me pick my first DCC starter set for n scale

    Wow, lots of good info. I'll have to read more into the zephyrs. I really would prefer to get one of them if I can get a throttle cheaply. What i meant by walk around controller was a throttle that has a coiled cord that goes to a plug or to the base unit. The other option being like the...
  6. K

    Help me pick my first DCC starter set for n scale

    If 2 amps are plenty, I think I'll exclude the 5 amp model i listed. Should I basically decide if I want a walk around throttle? Are there issues with the Zepher or power cab regarding shorting? My one fear is that something frys due to a short and that would probably drive my decision a bit.
  7. K

    Help me pick my first DCC starter set for n scale

    I am looking to get my first DCC starter set for an N scale layout. Right now I only have a few engines but think it could get up to 5 or 6 locos running at once. Either the 2 amp NCE power cab starter system, the 3 amp ZEPX Zephyr Extra or the 5 amp SEBX Super Empire Builder Xtra. I am...
  8. K

    Best place online to buy NCE power cab and n scale track?

    JUST SAW THIS This is only $100 more (About) but it is a 5 amp DCC controller. Digitrax SEBX Super Empire Builder Xtra - 5 Amp Starter Set Is this good or should I stick with the 2 amp NCE? I don't need 5 amps yet but I think I might need it in a few years.
  9. K

    Best place online to buy NCE power cab and n scale track?

    Thanks for the tips on the track. For future considerations, can Peco and Atlas track be used together with no headaches? I need the Powercab at the end of the month so there is no rush. I may ask them about it. Just noticed the NCE EB1 Circuit Breaker for the first time. Is this Powercab...
  10. K

    Best place online to buy NCE power cab and n scale track?

    I want to get an NCE power cab and see that I can get it online for $150-$160. Can people recommend a reputable store with good prices so I can get it. Also, I'd like to get a bunch of n scale track. Hopefully some flex track. And some switches. So, If the place also sells that, that would...
  11. K

    #4, #6, #8 turnouts

    Awesome explanations! You even went so far as to answer a follow up question regarding what radius curves these #X turnouts can handle. Since I am using 18" and 22" curves on my sons layout, I'll be shooting for #6 turnouts throughout. AWESOME. A big thank you!
  12. K

    #4, #6, #8 turnouts

    I was looking at atlas track and I am a bit confused. What are the different numbers for? I'm assuming they are correlated to radius in some way but it is not clearly stated on the Atlas web site. Thanks!:D
  13. K

    24" radius and layout size?

    Hathaway Browne, I'll give you the engineers response. Take the 24" radius and tack on a 20% safety factor. That would be 29". Or a 58" diameter (4' 10"). So, the 5' diameter is a reasonable target. From my understanding though, the larger the diameter you can do, the more realistic...
  14. K

    Brands of track

    What is the technical difference between code 83 and 100? I thought 100 was slightly taller.
  15. K

    minimum turning radius

    I keep thinking about doing a 4.5'x8' layout but reaching the center is going to be tough. I also measured the room it is going in and doing a basic 4x8 sheet of plywood looks like the way to go. We plan on moving next summer so I can do something cooler at that time. Atleast I get ot...
  16. K

    Brands of track

    I was planning on using Atlas Code 100 track ..... I'm going code 100 because this is for my son (4 years old) and it is my understanding that some engines/cars can have problems with code 83. Probably nothing I will end up buying for him, but better safe than sorry is my motto. I'm a...
  17. K

    minimum turning radius

    I did some reading around the forums. Seems like an 18" radius will probably cause issues with some of the grades I intend on tossing in. I have a new idea. Something like a 7'x8' layout with a hole in the middle. What is the smallest hole that two adults could sit in? I'm think along the...
  18. K

    Starting the new layout!

    What do the different colors in your plan signify? The tracks seem to have purple, green, blue and orange sections. Also, what program did you use?
  19. K

    minimum turning radius

    Thanks for all the advice. My son is just like me. If that is any indication, he will spend hours at a time playing with his HO scale trains! I'm now considering doing a two piece layout. Two larger ends (4'x4' or so) with a thinner section connecting the two. I jsut measured the area...
  20. K

    minimum turning radius

    I'm planning my sons x-mas present. His first HO layout. It's going to be rather cool, but before I buy a thing I want to get a plan done for a sheet of plywood. The planning .... It will be diesels to start. He is 4, so I don't intend on getting steamers yet. I do want to be forward...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top