Help me pick my first DCC starter set for n scale

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


kherman

New Member
I am looking to get my first DCC starter set for an N scale layout. Right now I only have a few engines but think it could get up to 5 or 6 locos running at once.

Either the 2 amp NCE power cab starter system, the 3 amp ZEPX Zephyr Extra or the 5 amp SEBX Super Empire Builder Xtra.

I am at odds as to what I want. The Zephyr Extra has the side track for programming engines/decoders. That nice but it is missing my other want. A walkaround style controller. It is a smaller layout so the walkaround controller is a want more than a need.

Is the 2 amp system enough for 6 locos running at once?

The 5 amp system is overkill I suppose. But I would get it if there were reason.

I guess my question is, how does one program locos with the NCE power cab? I know it's a one time thing but I fear my son making a mistake and reprogramming all locos at once. I'm a newbie, can such a mistake easily happen? To program, I suppose you just detach the control wires and connect them to a small piece of track and program it.

Kids screaming, must go for now. Sorry if questions not well organized.
 
I'll include this from the other thread as it's relevant here too.
For N scale 2A is plenty really. They say it's only enough to run four engines but that would be if they all had sound and you were running them flat out. I once ran nine engines at yard speeds and it was only registering 0.5A. I wouldn't worry about a booster until you actually need it, which may be never.

I don't have experience with Digitrax but both manufacturers make competent systems and it really comes down to A. which do you like better, and B. what do your club/friends use?
I think they may be over-emphasizing the importance of a programming track, which again is likely overkill for a small layout. The normal way you would program a loco is by selecting that loco address for programming with the NCE PowerCab, simple. When you use programming track mode, the PowerCab is basically doing brute force programming to every loco that is listening (ie- on the track). The reason you would have a different "programming track" for this mode is so that you don't reprogram ALL your locos to the one address accidentally. The programming track these systems are talking about is one that's isolated from the layout. If you only have a small layout, you can simply take the other engines off the track if you need to use the programming track mode. Hope that makes sense.


EDIT: This video may help you choose as well- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzRRCKpTjL4
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If 2 amps are plenty, I think I'll exclude the 5 amp model i listed.

Should I basically decide if I want a walk around throttle?

Are there issues with the Zepher or power cab regarding shorting? My one fear is that something frys due to a short and that would probably drive my decision a bit.
 


I am looking to get my first DCC starter set for an N scale layout. ...
The Zephyr Extra has the side track for programming engines/decoders.
A walkaround style controller.
...
What do you mean by a walk around style controller? Do you just mean one with wires that is not sitting on a table? The Zephyr has the option for two jumper throttles that are any normal DC throttle. You could use that for a "walkaround" option. I used mine in that mode for a show last summer because I accidentally left my Lenz wireless at home. Groan. It was a bailing wire / duct tape solution but it worked. You can also add a real Digitrax throttle to the Zephyr bus. Almost all the systems can be expanded/upgraded with the need. I for one LOVE the throttle on the box unit. I have an old MRC that has three throttles on the desktop unit and a CVP that has 2. I have added the walk around to both those as well.

I guess my question is, how does one program locos with the NCE power cab?
According to the power cab manual it has both programming on the main, and normal programming on a program track mode. See page 36. The programming track information begins on page 48.

http://www.ncedcc.com/images/stories/manuals/power_cab_manual_v1.28.pdf

But I am getting the impression that while you are considering these three units that you have not read their operator manuals? They are all available on-line, and could probably answer questions much better than we on the forum could. The trick is to not get caught up in the step-by-step instructions they are giving, but rather the general concepts being presented. Otherwise they can read a Tolkien genealogy (snore). I guess don't really read it like a book but just skim for the important paragraphs to read. I did not know this information about the NCE powercab until this morning (I have the NCE PRO Cab which is slightly different).

I know it's a one time thing
That is not necessarily true. Through time there are several reasons a loco could go back to the programming track. Sometimes decoders just decide to stop working and need to be reset. If you want to run two locos on the same train you might want to consist the locos together.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, lots of good info.

I'll have to read more into the zephyrs. I really would prefer to get one of them if I can get a throttle cheaply.

What i meant by walk around controller was a throttle that has a coiled cord that goes to a plug or to the base unit. The other option being like the starter zephyr set that has a controller on a stationary unit.

I'll read about the upgrade paths, etc. And read up on the manual.

THANKS MUCH!
 
Digitrax currently has 2 walkaround type throttles. The DT-402 is a do everything throttle that can be had with the coiled cord. It is also available in the Simplex radio and Duplex radio as well. The radios require a separate receiver to be purchased. All versions also come with the standard IR control, (think TV remote), which also needs that separate receiver.

The other one is the UT-4. Its strictly a utility throttle that is designed for running a train. It can only do that, and that alone. It is about 1/3 the size, (and cost) of the 402, with one control knob, a reversing switch, loco address "knobs", and function buttons. You cannot program with this throttle, set up consists, throw decoder equipped turnouts, and provided the consists were set up on another throttle, you can run consists, just not make them.

This is my personal favorite throttle, as it functions as most of the old DC walkarounds did. One big speed knob, a reversing switch in a place that you can locate by feel only, etc. I can use this throttle to select my engine, and never look at the throttle again as I go about my work on the layout. It has that "familiar" feel to it I remember from years ago.
 
I think I'm going digitrax.

I looked at both manuals and the digitrax one is easier to follow. And I like the higher amperage and dedicated programming track.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top