what ground throws for code 80 peco turnouts??

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


kherman

New Member
I want to do my layout in code 80 track.

For turnouts, I want to get some #8 peco turnouts.

What ground throw should I use? These are the caboose industries models:
http://www.cabooseind.com/GroundThrows

What if I go with code 55 instead?

UPDATE:
Reading around, it sounds like the 206s would work. I don't need to remove any springs from the peco track either.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a bunch of the 206S units to use with my atlas code 80 custom line switches. Haven't got them set up yet.....still building my layout benches. But I did rig one of the 206S ground throws to a switch and it appears to be the correct amount of movement. Would guess most N scale switch points move about the same amount of distance....and these are the model made for N scale.

I get my 206S ground throws from here for a decent price:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Caboose-Industries-N-206S-Ground-Throw-Sprung-p/cab-206s.htm



Mike
 
What are some other less expensive manual throws that I could use. Even if they are not prototypical at all.

Thanks,
 


What are some other less expensive manual throws that I could use. Even if they are not prototypical at all.

Thanks,
Do you already have the turnouts? The caboose 206S are less than three dollars each......but I know....sometimes I need to save every possible dollar myself.

The only other thing that comes to mind.....other than rigging something home-made....is....Atlas N scale code 80 snap switches have built-in manual throws. And some places sell them for less than $11 each........(just don't tell everyone....:D). You can find maybe a couple models in stock through the link in my post above.
 
You don't need ground throws with Peco turnouts as the have a centering spring built in.You can just flick the movable part of the turnout with your fingertip.
 
You don't need ground throws with Peco turnouts as the have a centering spring built in.You can just flick the movable part of the turnout with your fingertip.
Ok, well it's hard to beat that. I have one peco Y turnout still in the box. I fiddled with it one day after I got it.....and now remember they do work that way......guess I'll be getting more of the pecos to try them. Glad you mentioned this. The spring holds the peco points in place to which ever side you push them to.



Mike
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top