Best place online to buy NCE power cab and n scale track?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


kherman

New Member
I want to get an NCE power cab and see that I can get it online for $150-$160. Can people recommend a reputable store with good prices so I can get it.

Also, I'd like to get a bunch of n scale track. Hopefully some flex track. And some switches. So, If the place also sells that, that would be wonderful. I prefer to buy Atlas branded track.

THANKS!
 
Both Fifer Hobby Supply and Model Train Stuff (commonly referred to as "MB Klein") are very good stores. The Fifers are a small operation run by Mike & Robin Fifer who you can find posting on this forum on occasion. Excellent pricing and customer service, and they will refund shipping costs if the calculator overestimates. Not many stores do that!

MB Klein is larger and has very competitive pricing because of that. I haven't dealt with them nearly as much as FHS so I can't really comment on their customer service, although I have no complaints so far.

Both have the NCE PowerCab at around $150, but FHS doesn't have stock at the moment (they will generally order stuff in if you ask). Neither of them have flextrack in stock at the moment, as I believe Atlas changed their manufacturing location recently so production has been slow. Have you considered Peco instead? Their's is stiffer so holds shape better, but apart from that they function exactly the same. I would honestly recommend Peco switches over Atlas ones though as they're just constructed better. Atlas switches have a flimsy mechanism that just doesn't work as well as Peco ones.
 
Thanks for the tips on the track. For future considerations, can Peco and Atlas track be used together with no headaches?

I need the Powercab at the end of the month so there is no rush. I may ask them about it.

Just noticed the NCE EB1 Circuit Breaker for the first time. Is this Powercab going to fry itself if it shorts out?
 


JUST SAW THIS

This is only $100 more (About) but it is a 5 amp DCC controller.

Digitrax SEBX Super Empire Builder Xtra - 5 Amp Starter Set

Is this good or should I stick with the 2 amp NCE?

I don't need 5 amps yet but I think I might need it in a few years.
 
For N scale 2A is plenty really. They say it's only enough to run four engines but that would be if they all had sound and you were running them flat out. I once ran nine engines at yard speeds and it was only registering 0.5A. I wouldn't worry about a booster until you actually need it, which may be never.

I don't have experience with Digitrax but both manufacturers make competent systems and it really comes down to A. which do you like better, and B. what do your club/friends use?
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top