Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. R

    Building Lights

    Well Ianacole, you are a genius! I just tried the tin foil on both a roof top I was having a problem with as well as the tops of the platforms. The foil does triple duty. It is easy to work with, it shuts out the light totally and you can adapt the reflective ability by using either side. IT...
  2. R

    Building Lights

    Great idea. I will try the foil......
  3. R

    Building Lights

    Good day everyone. Well my N scale layout is really moving along. I have all the track and turnouts down and I have been fixing many problems with the power issues. I am also working on the scenery and having some issues with getting it to look like what Woodland Scenic has but I am close. I...
  4. R

    is N scale really for me?

    N scale for me I understand your concern. I really wanted to get back into HO because of the volumn of accessories and the such. But I have restricted space also and to get a reasonable layout I needed to go to N. HO is a much easier size to work with but N is acceptable. I have found that...
  5. R

    Working with Buildings

    Good day one and all. :) I have a question and request forum member's help. I would like to do some fine detail on the inside of some buildings. Items such as making inside two story buildings. Including desks, chairs, sofas, etc. I would like to include lighting inside the buildings for...
  6. R

    New to hobby

    DCC and DC I have the same issue you have. I have a few old engins that are DC and really not good enough to add a decoder to the engine to make them DCC. I also have two DCC engines. I really like the DCC engines because they are newer and run better. What do I do about two powers? Well...
  7. R

    New to hobby

    How do I start As everyone else has had, you have many questions as you are starting out in the model train hobby. As was mentioned you will get many opinions as to what way to start. I like the answer that "best" may not be the way to go. The word is "prototypical". Many modelers want the...
  8. R

    I'm thinking about switching to N gauge

    Using N scale Here might be some hellp for the layout. I found a freeware (no cost) software that is a design software for model trains. It has everything you need to design a layout in any scale. I used the n scale part and it had a section with multiple vendors (Peco, Kato) track that can...
  9. R

    I'm thinking about switching to N gauge

    Change Over OK MercerMike. I had the same issue you have, HO or N? I have only 3x6. Boy I wish I could work in a larger area. My opinion, and remember every one of us that respond to you are giving you our opinion, is the same as MRLDave. I have always liked the HO scale. It has the best detail...
  10. R

    FT Locomotives

    Thank you all. That is the info I needed. I think, as mention, since I only have 3x6 and run maybe 10-15 car trains max, I will take the motor out of the B unit and use it as a dummy. Muscle is not a need for me. Again thanks all.... Harlan
  11. R

    FT Locomotives

    OK everyone. Now I show my lack of knowledge. My layout (n scale 3x6) is all in modern time and has a passenger and freight depot. I will be using F7s or F9s plus others and I am using DCC. I remember the terms "A unit" and "B unit". As I remember it, in model trains, the B units were just...
  12. R

    kato crossover track stalling ??

    Hello new2nscale. I very well understand you issue. I also have a Kato crossover and a double crossover. Yours are most likely insulated crossovers as mine are. I had to add jumpers to keep the tracks "hot" all the time BUT across the plastic sections (the gorah (spel?) points you can't get...
  13. R

    Greatest Layout!!!

    Greatest Layout I have only been with the forum for the last few months so I did not know that the layout had been discussed here but it possibly needs to be revisited at the site for any new people. But thanks for the info.... Harlan
  14. R

    Greatest Layout!!!

    Greatest Layout Thank you for replying. I have not ever seen anything like the layout in Germany. I think EVERY model railroader should view the website and videos/pictures. It is beyone belief! :eek::eek::eek:
  15. R

    how to (or should I) attach Kato track to board?

    To glue or not to glue :o Good day. To glue or not to glue. One thing, glueing helps the trains have stability while running (track does not move). This is good to elimate derailments and crashes. Well I have a combination of Kato turnouts and regular track/roadbed for my layout. I have...
  16. R

    LED Wiring

    Looks real good. I had tought to wait for turnout signals but maybe I should include it as part of the early work. Thank you for the info. Harlan.
  17. R

    LED Wiring

    OK, I am attempting to get my mind around the BASIC circuit diagrahm. Since I do not know all the electric circuit symbols I do have some problems. First I assume that "S1" is the SDPT toggel. The bottom line is the common from the power sourse. Is Vs1 and Vs2 the 12 volt power sourses (only...
  18. R

    Greatest Layout!!!

    :eek: The link in this post runs a 4 minute video of what has to be the MOST fantastic model train layout in the world. Everyone, and I mean everyone, must view this video it will blow your mind. I receive it in an email from a neighebor who knows that I am into model trains. She sent many...
  19. R

    LED Wiring

    OK you guys! You are way over my head but I am analysing the data and attempting to adjust it to my SMALL needs. I only have a small (3x6) layout with about 9-10 turnouts but that does not mean that I can apply your work to my needs. As I see it Tom R you are using only one toggel switch to...
  20. R

    LED Wiring

    OK gentelmen. Changes. Backlash on your "Kato turnout diagram" you show the main DC power being attached to the center posts of the DPDT. In fact the DC main power wires are attached to one set of end terminals. Then jumpers are put on the DPDT from that set of terminals to the other set of...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top