FT Locomotives

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Royalhaw

Member
OK everyone. Now I show my lack of knowledge. My layout (n scale 3x6) is all in modern time and has a passenger and freight depot. I will be using F7s or F9s plus others and I am using DCC. I remember the terms "A unit" and "B unit". As I remember it, in model trains, the B units were just dummy units with no motors or the such. Now I see the A and B units with DCC decoders inside and also I have seen FT units (very long A and B units). OK, help me. Why do the B units now have motors and use DCC decoders for the FTs. I have a Athern F7 A/B unit engine and there is a motor in the B unit. WHY? The A unit runs fine on the track why would I want to add the B unit and get decoders for both? :confused: Thanks for you help. This forum has been very helpful. Harlan......
 
For your 3 X 6 you probably don't need the powered B unit since you can't get enough cars on the track to use the power........but I run on a club and I can run 100 to 150 car trains if I want and you need more than one unit to do that. On the prototype, the letters designates individual power units.......for example Milwaukee Road bought their FT's as 4 unit sets, so the first units were numbered 40A,40B,40C and 40D. Frequently the A units had cabs and B units were cabless, but railroads (like Milw.) bought 2 cab units but ran them together as #A and #B.

As to why your F7 B unit is powered, I talked to a factory rep., and he said that because of the discounts they get for the quantity of motors and such they buy, having the unit motorized only added about 10-15 dollars to the price. At that point very few people would choose the unpowered unit since there is no harm in running the second powered unit vs a dummy. You are correct about having to buy a second decoder though.....but if it bothers you, it is possible to remove the gears and motor from the B unit and make a dummy.
 


Thank you all. That is the info I needed. I think, as mention, since I only have 3x6 and run maybe 10-15 car trains max, I will take the motor out of the B unit and use it as a dummy. Muscle is not a need for me. Again thanks all.... Harlan
 
You can also wire your B unit to the A units decoder, there by keeping both units powered. You never know when you'll need more power! (insert Tim the Tool Man grunt here). ;)

Rotor
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top