ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
hello n scalers: has anyone experienced stalling over Kato Unitrack's single crossover track ? I notice the frogs are plastic (insulated), and I will be using a short wheel-base loco (Kato NW2). Will this present a problem ?? I only ask BEFORE I lay out and assemble and run quite a track-plan. I DONT want this kind of problem once all the track is bought and put down. Any one out there with good/bad experiences with Kato's Untirack single crossover track ?? thanx
It would depend on the pickups I'd think. Consider the speed of the area as well, because something that a speeding train barely registers could easily be enough to stop a slow moving one in its tracks (sorry).
Hello new2nscale. I very well understand you issue. I also have a Kato crossover and a double crossover. Yours are most likely insulated crossovers as mine are. I had to add jumpers to keep the tracks "hot" all the time BUT across the plastic sections (the gorah (spel?) points you can't get power. If they were metal the power would flow but since they are plastic, no power. Sorry. The best you can do is create jumpers to make each track hot all the time. I did this and it does work but the plastic is an issue.
I was only WONDERING if this would be a problem, so I connected up the crossover track with a power-feeding track section, attached the power pack, and ran a NW2 over it. Slowly. Guess what ? It didn't stop !!! The opposing section was dead (the other line of the "X"), but that is I'm sure because no powered track was attached to it. Would Kato not tell consumers if this indeed WAS going to be a problem, to power-feed the other sides ??
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)