Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. mopacbuff

    Paint removal

    Not to hijack a thread, but I was wondering. I'm doing a rebuild/detail project on an Athearn BB GP9, currently lettered for UP. I've removed the dynamic brake and some other details, and I've done quite a bit of filling with squadron white putty. I probably should've stripped the paint...
  2. mopacbuff

    Long range power supply to tracks

    Kyle, A couple hundred feet, at least, maybe as much as 500 or 600ft. I'd probably control the "blocks" with toggles in the vicinity of the block, I think a centralized control panel wouldn't work because of the distances involved. I'm not sure of the output of my MRC pack, it's an older one...
  3. mopacbuff

    Long range power supply to tracks

    Gents, I'm kicking around the idea of running a LONG HO scale track through several rooms of my (very large) farm house, and possibly even outside in the spring/summer. Not a finished layout with scenery, just a basic track with ballast, a place to run trains for a LONG trip. I'm thinking...
  4. mopacbuff

    Weathered cars are still selling for rediculous prices.

    People are flippin nutz. I can buy a whole lotta freight cars AND the tools and materials to weather them for that kind of money. But, to each their own. MPB
  5. mopacbuff

    NASA Railroad

    Smiley, I have on old issue of Model Railroader magazine from 1973 that has an article about a lunar railroad. It wasn't a layout visit or construction article, just a concept. Pretty sweet though. MPB
  6. mopacbuff

    Grass mats VS Ground cover

    I've been kicking around the idea of using grass mat pieces for a baseball field as they look so uniformly mowed. It'd also make for nice greens on a scale golf course (which I'm thinkin about building since I've never seen one).
  7. mopacbuff

    Unusual and interesting prototype(s)

    DP, I'm actually from Potosi, although I now reside in Ohio. My cousin and uncle both work for UP, at their DeSoto car shops. Dad used to work in DeSoto, back when it was still MoPac. I just had my cousin take pictures of the old MoPac depot in Potosi and e-mail them to me. I'm going to build...
  8. mopacbuff

    Mine track gauge?

    Thanks dp, That's what I was thinkin, about the fumes from a steamer, but I wasn't 100% sure. Now you have me really wondering how/why that loco ended up at the bottom of that mine. Seems like it was worth something as scrap, rather than just being pushed into a hole, lol. Looks like I have...
  9. mopacbuff

    Favorite train and era ?

    Even though I wasn't even thought of at the time, I love MoPac streamliners, PAs, E units and F units. If I could go back in time, I'd love to travel on one of the Eagles. That seems like it was a dignified way to travel, much more refined than anything we have today. Ain't she a beaut...
  10. mopacbuff

    Mine track gauge?

    dp, So, you're saying this loco #7 is not a mine loco, but from the connecting MR & BT? I couldn't find anything on that website indicating that, but maybe I just didn't see it. How would the loco get down there if it was n't used in the mine? This type of research is fascinating to me. MPB
  11. mopacbuff

    Mine track gauge?

    Wow, I just found an answer to my own question. According to this webpage http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lists/MO.shtml Found by googling "Bonne Terre mine Locomotive", the loco at the bottom of Bonne Terre mine is a steamer, #7, but it's gauge is not listed. So, how did this work...
  12. mopacbuff

    Mine track gauge?

    Gents, While pouring over webpage after webpage, doing research into MoPac operations in Missouri in the 50s and 60s, I've started to become fascinated with the lead mining that went on there. Growing up there, I never paid it much attention as most of the big mines were long since closed by...
  13. mopacbuff

    Your Other Hobbies

    True, and I am a devout follower of the good life. I also make my own jerky, along with deer chili and home made biscuits (no cans for me). I also cook 90% of my food in an old fashioned iron skillet. MPB
  14. mopacbuff

    Your Other Hobbies

    Well, let's see. Guns, hunting, trapping and fishing (not sure that those are hobbies as much as just part of life out here in the sticks). Camping, which is when I go from where I live out in the sticks to were I spend summer weekends out in the deeper sticks. Homebrewing beer. Woodworking...
  15. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    Stein, I looked a bit closer at that map, you are correct, there is no obvious runaround track there. When I get to build this town, I'll use modelers license to include one, it'll definately help operations. For now I'll assume that passenger trains backed the 3 1/2 miles from the main at...
  16. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    Update, Got the hole in the long hood filled with styrene, my cutting and filling skills need quite a bit of work I'm afraid. I think it'll come out ok with putty and sanding, even though it's not quite flat front to back. That's the whole idea of this project, to hone my skills...
  17. mopacbuff

    12 X 14 room help

    As I'm doing research and looking at trackage maps of Potosi (thanks to stein), I'm wondering. The line into Potosi from Mineral Point was a stub end branch, with no way to turn a train, just a runaround track. In the days of steam or E/F units, would the loco have pushed the train to Potosi...
  18. mopacbuff

    Airbrushes

    Ok Gents, I think I've decided to try a HF unit to experiment and get my feet wet with. I'll go there next weekend and get that and a regulator set up for my compressor. But a coupla questions; Floquil or Polly S paint? How thin do I need to make the paint to shoot well? Normal operating...
  19. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    Glen, I can fill he holes in the short hood with sprues and then remove the unneeded details. When you sanded everything smooth, did you/how did you put the rivet/bolt detail back around the perimeter? I kinda need that detail as the long hood retains it from the factory. MPB
  20. mopacbuff

    MoPac GP7 project

    Gents, I filled in the area where I removed the fan today, using styrene, waiting for it to dry and then I'l post pics. It's gonna need a bit of putty and sanding. I also filled the holes from the DB blister with hot sprues, came out OK, nothing sanding and putty can't fix, but I need to...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top