MoPac GP7 project

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I have just sanded the entire front smooth as well. The athearn bolts are grossly oversized when I compare them to my Proto2000 unit (you can barely see the proto bolt heads). I just sanded it all smooth and painted over after I added the repacement grab irons (I replaced those too)
I've been using lift rings from detail associates on my projects. They look great, I just shave off the molded on part, drill a hole and drop it in.
One other method for filling in the holes would be to use the mounting lugs from the two parts you removed, but that would be simular to the streched sprue method too.
Are you going to strip the paint on the shell before you repaint it? I would recomend doing that before you start adding any putty since whatever you are using to strip paint might take the putty back off too.
 
Gents,

I filled in the area where I removed the fan today, using styrene, waiting for it to dry and then I'l post pics. It's gonna need a bit of putty and sanding. I also filled the holes from the DB blister with hot sprues, came out OK, nothing sanding and putty can't fix, but I need to perfect my technique.

Been busy, so I hope to do a full update tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input.

MPB
 


Glen,

I can fill he holes in the short hood with sprues and then remove the unneeded details. When you sanded everything smooth, did you/how did you put the rivet/bolt detail back around the perimeter? I kinda need that detail as the long hood retains it from the factory.

MPB
 
Actually I didn't put the rivets back on. I never really thought about it until now.
I did fill the holes and sand as you have mentioned. I'll post a picture of my unit in a bit.
 
I took a quick picture of the tops of both the athearn unit and my proto2000 engine. in the picture you can barely see the boltheads on the proto unit where as the athearn had bolts the size of baseballs

pics039.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Update,

Got the hole in the long hood filled with styrene, my cutting and filling skills need quite a bit of work I'm afraid. I think it'll come out ok with putty and sanding, even though it's not quite flat front to back. That's the whole idea of this project, to hone my skills.

View attachment 24449

View attachment 24450

View attachment 24451

View attachment 24452

I think I'll tackle the short hood next, just have to get to town for some sandpaper and putty.

Thanks for playing along.

MPB
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top