Mine track gauge?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


mopacbuff

Missori Pacific RR
Gents,

While pouring over webpage after webpage, doing research into MoPac operations in Missouri in the 50s and 60s, I've started to become fascinated with the lead mining that went on there. Growing up there, I never paid it much attention as most of the big mines were long since closed by the time I was born.

Recently, old pictures on the web of underground mining operations in Bonne Terre Missouri have me intrigued. There was apparently a very extensive network of railroad tracks in the mines, used to haul ore and men. I am curious about a couple of things.

What gauge were the rails? 3.5'? I can't find any reference to this on any of the pages I've visited, but I assume they were not standard gauge.

What type of locomotives were used? I know in the beginning, ore cars were pulled by mules and then much later electric locos came into use. What about between the mules and electrics? I saw an old b&w photo of an abandoned loco laying at the bottom of the Bonne Terre mine, and it looks for all the world to me like a steamer. Is that possible? Doesn't seem workable to me due to exhaust, maybe I'm missing something.

Just curious, very neat stuff.

Any links to lead mining pages that might give me more details?

Thanks

MPB
 
Wow, I just found an answer to my own question.

According to this webpage

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/lists/MO.shtml

Found by googling "Bonne Terre mine Locomotive", the loco at the bottom of Bonne Terre mine is a steamer, #7, but it's gauge is not listed.

So, how did this work underground, wouldn't the exhaust smoke fill the mine?

Sorry if these are stooopid questions, I've just never researched anything to do with steam locos.

Now my curiousity is piqued.

MPB
 
I haven't checked about this particular location, but there is such a thing as a fireless steam locomotive. Very hot water under pressure was injected into the boiler and allowed to sublimate into steam as it was drawn into the cylnders. At some point the engine had to be topped up. I don't know anything more about them, but it sure sounds like it would be an excellent use for a fireless steam engine.

Crandell
 


The engine at the bottom of the mine is from the Mississippi River and Bonne Terre Railroad. This line is the original line to serve that mine. Here is their website.
http://moshortline.com/index.html

The people who run the tours of the mine also own the old depot in Bonne Terre. Last I heard (about 7 years ago), they were using the depot as a hotel for the divers who come to the mine. The mine is fairly famous for diving. As for the mining locomotives, I am not sure what the Bonne Terre lead mine used, but I can say that the Saint Joe's Lead mine right down the road used electric engines. Its now a state historic site. http://mostateparks.com/momines/geninfo.htm

If you want to see a couple of pieces of equipment up close, Missouri Mines (see link above) has a reproduction loco and a car. The National Museum of transport has a couple of mine vehicles as well. I don't know about the gauge, but I doubt it was anything standard. 3.5' seems a little large, though. I would guess closer to 2'.
 
dp,

So, you're saying this loco #7 is not a mine loco, but from the connecting MR & BT? I couldn't find anything on that website indicating that, but maybe I just didn't see it.

How would the loco get down there if it was n't used in the mine?

This type of research is fascinating to me.

MPB
 
Mining loco gauges are in the range of 24" to 37 1/2" and sized from 4 to 20 ton. The only types of power used that I know of are compressed air, battery, electric and diesel.

16 Ton Diesel Loco
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/nibbs/12Collery-1.jpg

The maximum load allowance was 16 3 ton boxes of coal, 10 boxes of stone, brakes only on the loco. They were often operated on grades far in excess of their rating.
box = car
Cheers
Willis

A old compressed air mining loco in Banff AB
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for taking so long to post again. I can't remember where I read it was an MRBTRR engine, but I am pretty sure I read that somewhere. I am almost dead sure it was not used in the mine. I have never heard of such a thing. A fired steam engine would produce to many noxious fumes to be used in a mine. Everyone involved would suffocate. As for how the engine got down there, the old shafts are large, and there are several of them. All they had to do to junk an engine is push. They run boat tours down there now and the boat is wider than the locomotive. It was lowed down one of the old shafts. I found some more pictures on a dive site.
http://mannaismayaadventure.wordpress.com/2011/01/15/
Search the page for Bonne Terre. It is about half way down. Some good shots of ore cars in there.
 
Thanks dp,

That's what I was thinkin, about the fumes from a steamer, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Now you have me really wondering how/why that loco ended up at the bottom of that mine. Seems like it was worth something as scrap, rather than just being pushed into a hole, lol. Looks like I have another research project.

I'll check out that link.

MPB
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top