Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. K

    Electrical switch question?

    Thanks guys! I found a DPDT switch at Radio Shack - it has ON-OFF-ON capability as well. Spliced two wires off each on the turnout, works great! Kyle
  2. K

    Electrical switch question?

    Hey guys, I'm trying to wire up my N scale Kato turnouts on my layout - they will be hidden and out of reach (on a staging track). I have come to the conclusion that the turnouts are DC (so it won't work with my AC accessory terminals on my powerpack :rolleyes: ) and that it doesn't need...
  3. K

    Atlanta Train Show Aug.9th

    Well, if you see a kid (I'm 21) wearing a grey Southeastern Railway Museum shirt on with a Norfolk Southern Dash-9 on it, that's probably me! Kyle
  4. K

    Atlanta Train Show Aug.9th

    COOL! Thanks for the heads-up Rotor. I think I will be catching this then... Kyle
  5. K

    weekend photo fun 01/08/08

    Cool stuff guys! Here's my slight progress on the west end of my layout - a little mountain cut, with a river. Weathered up the trestle a bit now, and painted all the rock faces too - needs a lot more trees, and the track is just sitting there for the picture. Kyle
  6. K

    Demonstrator units in road use?

    Hey guys, Just had a quick question - I've noticed several photos before of the factory painted demo locomotives being mixed in with regular Class 1 locos. Like say for instance, the white and blue EMD GP50 or GP60 I think it is. How does this work? I thought I read somewhere, that a...
  7. K

    One last water questions (I hope)

    Cool, thanks Jim. I have my first layer on there, looks good! I will pour another one tonight - though, add a couple more drops of dye. Kyle
  8. K

    One last water questions (I hope)

    Hey guys, I really appreciate everyone's insight to my newbie questions here about pouring my Envirotex. My question was this - how long should I wait between pouring layers? I will probably need 3 layers to cover my area and different depths I made (now I know to make it all equal...
  9. K

    The hogger said.....

    Wow... :eek: Old steam engines seam to be more of a feel and art, than by the book I would guess. What kind of loco is that? Kyle
  10. K

    More water questions?

    Cool, thanks so much guys! I will try to pour it tonight I reckon - I have a couple real pieces of branches I will throw in it. I want it to look real "un-traveled" and natural. I know all the rivers I used to play in as a kid (like Blackwater River, Shoal River, etc.) where almost tea...
  11. K

    More water questions?

    Cool, thanks guys - besides Floquil name brand, can I use like Testors as well? What kind of paint is it, an oil-based? Thanks again! Kyle
  12. K

    More water questions?

    Hey guys, I appreciate the info on pouring the water - I went ahead and sealed over my plaster impregnated cloth with some powered plaster of paris type stuff. It seems to be well sealed, I don't see any holes - though, I can't look from underneath due to the plywood. I picked up 16oz of...
  13. K

    Weekend photofun 25 26 27 July 2008

    Hey Tom, that's some cool photos! I was wondering, how do you get those axles so rusty looking? I like it - I model N scale though, but all the axles in N scale are like a brown or dark gray. I've thought of getting the metal wheelsets (so the railhead part of the wheel stays shiny)...
  14. K

    Weekend photofun 25 26 27 July 2008

    Hey guys, Here's my dinky progess - the west end of my layout, where I have a mountain cut and a small river running next to it. I carved out all the foam, and added another layer for the hill, and plastered it all up. The trestle is scratchbuilt from styrene - still needs more work...
  15. K

    Making water

    Hey guys, I carved out the gulley for my little stream/river on my layout in the extruded foam. I was thinking I am going to cover over it with my plaster impregnated cloth, and then paint it (with latex paint I hear?) to seal it all up. I was then thinking of pouring like Envirotex into...
  16. K

    Airports on layouts

    I've thought about adding one to my layout as well... (I'm a pilot, used to be in EAA, fly mostly homebuilts - about 500 hours). What would be easier, is to just include the edge of an airport, especially a smaller GA airport. You could have the edge of the grass runway, some powerlines with...
  17. K

    two years and finally done

    Wow, that IS awesome! :eek: Yes please, more pics! :D Kyle
  18. K

    Backdrop material?

    Hey guys, Here's a rough sketch of my layout plan - it's an N scale shelf layout, 26" by 84". The below pictures show that I want a backdrop to block off the back stretch (as well as hide a staging spur), along with keeping the whole "train running in a circle" vision to a minimum. What...
  19. K

    Ballasting Unitrack

    Thanks again guys - I know they make a ballast to match, but I was going to fill in the space between two parallel tracks with something. However, I am going with Micro Engineering track now,which I can put straight on the foam. Kyle
  20. K

    Weekend Photo fun 11/12/13 July

    Aw man, you suck! LOL - I wish they had both of those in N scale... :mad: I know Con-Cor makes some heavyweights, but I have questioned the quality before... and I'd have to convert couplers. Nice stuff! Kyle




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top