ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hey guys,
I'm trying to wire up my N scale Kato turnouts on my layout - they will be hidden and out of reach (on a staging track). I have come to the conclusion that the turnouts are DC (so it won't work with my AC accessory terminals on my powerpack

) and that it doesn't need constant current - just a reverse current for a split second to turn the opposite direction.
Anyways - I need a switch that will reverse current flow - I guess it has 4 prongs instead of 2 (like a normal On/Off switch). What would these be called? Like a Reverse Switch? Where can I find one?
Thanks!
Kyle
Kato makes a converter for this. 24-842 or 24842 on our site.
Connects to the AC 16/17V accessory output on your power pack. Only one converter is needed to connect as many turnout control switches and crossing gates as your layout requires.
The Kato turnout is somewhat unique in that it uses a solenoid but only a single coil, so therefore you need some method of reversing the wiring and providing a momentary contact as well.
I see four options:
- Buy the Kato turnout control switch
- Try to find a momentary DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch, and I have never seen this type of switch, I don't think they would be very common.
- Use 2 switches, one DPDT and a momentary switch in series with one of the power pack leads.
- Use 2 momentary switches and use the AC output of the power pack. One AC terminal (call it terminal R) goes to the red lead of the turnout. The other AC terminal (call it terminal B) connects to the banded side (Cathode side) of a general purpose diode (1N4001) then the non banded side (Anode side) of that diode goes to one pole of a momentary switch, then the other pole of the momentary switch goes to the black wire of the turnout. Then wire another momentary switch exactly the same as the first except reverse the diode so the non banded side (Anode side) goes to the other AC terminal (terminal B) and the banded side (Cathode side) goes to one pole of the second momentary switch, then the other pole of the second momentary switch also connects to the black lead of the turnout.
I have never used one of these turnouts but have read that the current must be momentary or you will burn out the switch.
Thanks guys!
I found a DPDT switch at Radio Shack - it has ON-OFF-ON capability as well. Spliced two wires off each on the turnout, works great!
Kyle
Was it a momentary switch? If not, just make sure you return the switch to the "OFF" position everytime, or you will burn out a turnout.
Rotor
Hey Rotor,
No, they're not momentary - but the Off position is it's natural, middle state. So like you said, I need to just flip it either up or down, then back to the Off.
I definitely don't want to burn them up - especially when they're all set down in the layout!
Kyle
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)