Backdrop material?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


kylewoody

Member
Hey guys,

Here's a rough sketch of my layout plan - it's an N scale shelf layout, 26" by 84".

The below pictures show that I want a backdrop to block off the back stretch (as well as hide a staging spur), along with keeping the whole "train running in a circle" vision to a minimum.

What material could I use for this? The first picture shows if I just used three sheets of a solid material, with abrupt angles where they meet. I would prefer to not have this, and would like to have it bendable, so I could round the edges, and use one flowing piece - like in the picture to the right.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks!
Kyle
 
Two possible options. One is masonite with a backdrop either painted on or using paper backdrops glued to the masonite.

The other option, and the one I'd choose, is a range of hills or small mountains. You can do this effectively by building up blocks of extruded foam and then painting and landscaping the results. No matter how well a flat backdrop is done, it still looks flat. You can get the same effect in just a little more space but it will look like a real part of your landscape.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top