ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
-
D
Thanks for pointing that out.
Said another way.... to operate my layout the way it always does, I could buy a DC power pack, the Aristo Craft Basic Train Engineer, 2 toggle switches, and 50 DC locos (or about 47 more than I need)..or...a wireless (noninfrared) dcc system and 50 dcc capable...
-
D
Thanks Carey,
No, I was not being rhetorical. But I probably don't mean steam era, more like transistion era. I will definitely get a Bachman Spectrum 2-8-0 at some point, but I want that to be the largest steam locomotive on the layout. I've heard good things about their new 2-6-0...
-
D
Embedded in the OP's question was a desire to gauge why a modeler runs dc or dcc and if he thinks he will change.
To explain my specific situation further: My short line roster's 3 locomotives, 2 are on the layout at the same time, with the third being off layout, supposedly at the unmodeled...
-
D
It looks like you have a well thought out track plan and a plan on how to operate it. It seems like each locomotive will have a specific purpose and tend to stay its own area so DC wiring should not be as complicated as if all locos were to run all over the layout. That would pretty much...
-
D
Looks like a good start....
Not sure I followed all of your thoughts, but why not just make the layout an 8 x 22 donut instead of expanding a smaller donut later? Do you want to keep the smaller loop then expand with a shelf to the east? This approach seems like it will force you to bop in and...
-
D
I run one train at a time, single block DC over a 35 x 13 layout and use the AristoCraft Basic Train Engineer to basically give my stationary power pack a wireless throttle. The layout is wired with a buss line and feeders every 10 feet, no reverse loops, so if I ever went DCC the wiring is...
-
D
I think the locomotive would pull the cars long hood forward cw back to the yard runaround, then get itself into position to shove the cars into the yard.
The runaround near the interchange is used when dropping cars onto the interchange. The locomotive pulls the cars out of the yard and heads...
-
D
The use of staging is going to be dictated by your operating vision. Only you know what that is. To me, double ended staging allows one train to appear from staging then return without backing into it, or, allows two trains to appear from different directions. How you want to use staging will...
-
D
Moogie,
I hope its a 30" max, looks wider to me...Anyway, you still have a reach problem since those large buildings are shielding the tracks. Especially with the angled ceiling, those tracks in the NW and W side will almost be hidden. I would flip the buildings to the outside and place the...
-
D
Yep. Before 2003, the RS1 had molded on grab irons. This link shows you when they announced wire grabs:
http://www.atlasrr.com/HOLoco/hors1.htm
-
D
Its starting to seem like maybe there just isn't enough space for including everything you want, without making some trade offs.
I think the easy solution w/b to have scenery only along the W wall, and put Middlesex and the blue building on the E wall. The train c/b dropped at the yard...
-
D
It looks a lot like your first plan, which was always fine to begin with. And its always good to spend time exploring other options.
But like your first plan, its difficult to see why a train would have a reason to travel along the E wall, unless you are just continuously running or you...
-
D
Your new ideas have cluttered things up again. Try having one runaround per town. Hardly ever does any town need two.
In Naples, you will not be able to pull the loco up to AH Wilcox to get back to track 2 if there is already a car spotted there.
The track by wilcox should be the main...
-
D
I definitely like your new plan better than the old plans. You're a lot closer to a workable layout. I like CSX's changes also. Working with his plan, some other suggestions:
Naples: I would put coal and water on the track by the turntable, then move the passenger depot to the former coal...
-
D
Most Athearn RTR GP's have the "coffee grinder" sound due to decades old motor technology and liberal tolerances. Some are worse than others. Frankly, it is so widely known that anyone doing any research on locomotive purchases would have known this characteristic going in. That's not meant as...
-
D
It probably would have been best to have extended the legs of the benchwork 24 inches up and beyond the horizontal surface to give something to drill into.
But I would probably build a 1 x 2 frame with the vertical pieces every 12 inches and screw the frames to the bench tops. Then use...
-
D
I like both plans. If you have the space for the broader curves, you will not regret it. The trains will definitely look better on the broader curves and it will work just fine for a short line or branch line.
If you build the second plan, you want to be sure you can switch the scrapyard by...
-
D
So here's an attempt to put my ramblings into a drawing. (Its also my first paste of a picture to a forum, so bear with me...)
Explanations:
N wall: Since nobody really opens a door at 90 degrees to enter a room, I added a small wedge of bench to hold a switch lead for a loco and...
-
D
You're making me tilt my head, relative to all the other plans.:)
Does your software make turnouts to scale, including curved turnouts? The NW corner looks a bit optomistic. You need to allow enough space for a backdrop to hide staging.
PaulB's suggestions are very good. Also, I would...
-
D
The point about lengthening the yard tracks by placing them outside of the loop is valid. ( Its something I usually suggest myself, go figure). It shouldn't impact any real work that has been done already. Its your choice. You would probably want to use a broader curved turnout since your...
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)