Backdrop Construction Question

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I've finally started construction of my layout, benchwork is almost complete. I got hold of a copy of Linn Wescott's benchwork book, and have built a 10x10 L-girder corner unit.

If it matters, the sub-roadbed will be cookie-cutter/ribbon, so most of the plywood will end up being cut away. I only started with full coverage because my track plan is, shall we say, a little less than firm at this point. :rolleyes:
I'm modelling the B&M Fitchburg division, but the track plan is largely based on the Heart of Georgia layout.

As good as Wescott's book is, his treatment of backdrop construction is pretty thin.
From the research I've done, most everyone seems to mount 1/8" Masonite to the back walls. I'd like to avoid that since the walls are concrete and fairly uneven - drilling would be a pain.

Joe Fugate shows a method using vinyl flooring remnants that looked intriguing. The flooring is bonded to a 1x2 frame which is then attached directly to the benchwork. However, I wonder how much the material will sag over time - in his video, the vinyl already looks like it's starting to sag after getting a base coat of blue. That would drive me nuts.

I'm also toying with the idea of using materials such as fanfold foam, foam-core, or coroplast. I have a fairly large supply of fanfold foam sitting around from my R/C airplane scratch building days.

Does anyone have any opinions/advice/tips/insight into backdrop construction?

Thanks!
 
It probably would have been best to have extended the legs of the benchwork 24 inches up and beyond the horizontal surface to give something to drill into.

But I would probably build a 1 x 2 frame with the vertical pieces every 12 inches and screw the frames to the bench tops. Then use masonite hardboard. Paint all four sides to seal it, meaning the 1/8 or 1/4 inch skinny sides too, or else the masonite will get wavy with changes in the humidity.

Just by the pictures, the concrete looks fairly smooth. Any chance you could just skim coat it with plaster to smooth it even more? Its not that much surface area.
 
Thanks.

I actually ended up just making vertical t-brackets that mounted to the ends of the joists.

Brackets

Then mounted 1/8" masonite to them.

Mounted masonite

After spackling seams and screw holes, the whole thing will get two coats of primer, front and back, then painted with a sky blue gradient.
 


Masonite works excellent. Bends, it's cheap and you can even cut it with a sharp utility knife. Holds paint well too.
 
Hey guys since I'm also doing some backdrop work, what kind of paint on the masonite?
Interior house paint?
 
Gary B: I'm using interior latex flat over two coats of primer.

An example of a test panel that I painted the other night is here.

The blue that I picked has way too much red in it, but I'm pleased with how the gradient itself came out.

This technique is taken from Dave Frary's book on scenery:
I rollered the top third in blue and the bottom third in white.
Next, I took a 2" brush; 1. quickly dipped it in water, 2. dipped it in blue paint, 3. dipped it in white paint. Then I painted the middle third, blending up into the blue and down into the white. The water thins the paint enough to make it easier to blend.

An artist friend who does murals gave me a tip to use Benjamin Moore Costa Rica blue (2064-50) for a sky. Turns out, Behr (Home Depot brand) also has a Costa Rica Blue (550B-4) that's so close to Ben Moore's that I'm giving it a try.

I'll post another pic after I run my second color test.

Hope this helps.
 
Joe,

Nice work and thanks for the feedback. I just want to seal mine since my son has printed a photo backdrop I photshopped (Corel, actually) together. I plan on mounting it using double sided tape his employer uses for banners in commercial use.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top