DC operators

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I run one train at a time, single block DC over a 35 x 13 layout and use the AristoCraft Basic Train Engineer to basically give my stationary power pack a wireless throttle. The layout is wired with a buss line and feeders every 10 feet, no reverse loops, so if I ever went DCC the wiring is already simple.

I like the sound of the cars quietly riding the rails and not simulated locomotive noises. (I do think bell sounds are pretty neat however). I like bright LED lights and the BTE throttle lights them long before the locomotive moves, so I'm satisfied with how my train lights up as well.

When my interests change my operating system may as well, but I don't see my hobby interests changing any time soon. I'm very happy with what I have.
 
My layout was DCC and the next one will be as well.
However I run DC now and then, but it's hard to beat multiple trains on the same track for operations.
As for sound the trick is to turn it way down so you hear it when the train is close to you. You shouldn't hear an engine running when it's supposedto be miles away!
 
I too am a DC person and will probably remain one. I am a solo operator with a 20' x 32' two-tiered layout. I have 70+ diesels that I would have to convert. I use a pair of MRC Loco-Motion power packs and Atlas Selectors right now. I will be switching to a walk-around throttle once it is in the mail. I rarely run more than one train at a time because I don't want to pay attention to more than one. I too listen to music in the train room (classical and very hard rock) and like others I find the train sounds get boring quickly. I would switch if some one purchased and installed all of the decoders and throttles for me!
willie
 


I'm running DC and have no intention of upgrading to DCC. Main reason being cost.

I have a 4'4''x6' HO scale layout. Single main line, currently work on scenery etc etc is on hold, but still run a train when I have time to.

Power is either from a 15 year old Life-Like Power pack from a train set or a MRC Tech 4 200.

All locomotives are 4 axle diesels.
 
I am about to build from the groundup. No intention of going DCC. I have about 80 engines. I see no advantage, if you wire your blocks strategically, you can still have very realistic operations.

I am stoked. Sheetrock this weekend!
 
I believe the common saying is that with DCC you run trains and with DC you run toggle switches.

;)

That said, the biggest empire I ever built certainly didn't need DCC. If you can keep the blocks from getting out of control, and everything is intelligently engineered for operation, DC can go a long way. There are huge clubs that use DC with dozens of cabs and get along just fine. But at some point DCC really starts to show its advantages. It can even be cheaper based on reduced wiring and toggle switch costs.
 
I've listened to a lot of people explain that going digital is more realistic "The real railroads run DCC" I've heard them say. While in reality the real railroads actually run with block control. DC is still a great way to run a layout in my opinion.
 
While in reality the real railroads actually run with block control.

That's not really correct. There's no centralized control of power to individual engines on the prototype.

Real-life engines can approach each other nose-to-nose on the same track at any time. In yards and terminal areas, engines move freely within yard limits.

There are multiple different ways of prototype train control, some of which involve fixed block boundaries, many do not (such as the commonly-used Track Warrant Control or Timetable & Train Order).

DC is fine. DCC is fine.

But it's just not accurate to say that DC is more realistic -- in real life, individual engines are under the control of individual engineers in their cabs. Sometimes, in fact, this causes accidents on the the prototype, precisely because engineers can run past restricting signals.

And you never hear an engineer on the prototype yell "Who's got my train?" because he drifted into a DC block assigned to another power pack. :^)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's very true Byron, I was thinking more in terms of just running around the layout.
Real locos still need permission to be where they are in any case.
Love the "who's got my train" comment, we get that at the club a lot and it always gets attention! :)
 


Ive heard who's got my train on DCC layouts too. Older gents and new technology is a very bad combo, especially if the layout isnt wired properly. I actually stopped going to someone's house on a regular basis for sessions because it became aggravating and stressful to run the layout. The wiring seemed screwy, engines constantly shorted, shutting down the layout etc. Not fun.

Another thing that really *ticked* me off, I ran on a layout with DCC operated switches. Now when people leave the main lined against you, and you cant throw it by hand quickly, bad things happen.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
True. I have been on those as well. Personally, I dont see the cost benefit of DCC if its just me and maybe one or two others running. My room is 15 x 25, so nothing overly big that warrants 8 operators. Two road cabs, and one for the yard.
 
Embedded in the OP's question was a desire to gauge why a modeler runs dc or dcc and if he thinks he will change.

To explain my specific situation further: My short line roster's 3 locomotives, 2 are on the layout at the same time, with the third being off layout, supposedly at the unmodeled end of the line. I rotate in that locomotive for variety. Only one locomotive actually operates and carries out all duties assigned to the railroad with the other parked on a engine service spur as a spare. That spur is toggled off during operation. When I want to use that locomotive, I first bring home the other locomotive and set it on its spur and toggle that spur off before activating the other spur. The toggle switches took about 20 minutes to install.

Since I am a bit of a locomotive junkie, I own about 50 locomotives. All are arranged in sets of three to represent different paint schemes, leased units, class I or II branchlines, different era's etc, for when the mood strikes me to run a different set of locomotives. Even though I choose different themes and eras, the layout operates the same way no matter what the theme or era. Next goal, find 3 steam locomotives that would make sense for a short line to own back in the day for when I want to back date the layout to the steam era. Anyway...

If the layout was dcc, I may very well have had to program 50 different locomotives, not to mention buy and install decoders, to do the same job 2 $5, 20 minute-to-install toggle switches do. And that 20 minute installation will last for 50 years or until I die. Since installation is complete, there will never be a more efficient operating system out there for me, since any new system will require both a learning curve and installation time. That reality allows me to avoid spending any further time worrying about operating systems, so I can focus more of my time on modeling.

Unless I change my modeling goals, operating system alternatives and evolution have become totally irrelevant and has even fallen outside of the scope of model railroading for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
...

Next goal, find 3 steam locomotives that would make sense for a short line to own back in the day for when I want to back date the layout to the steam era...

I don't know if this is rhetorical, or if you're really needing some ideas here.

But these are some small locos that are perfect, IMHO, for a small shortline.

Spectrum 0-6-0 tank switcher
MDC/Athearn 2-8-0 Old Timer
Spectrum 4-6-0 or 4-4-0

The 0-6-0 is the biggest of the locos I suggested. If it is too big, take a long look at the others. I have all 3 of the others in my stable, and they are rather robust for their size. To top it off, all are very smooth and quiet.

As to the OP's asking why DC or DCC, for me it was a matter of cost, as to why I went DCC. Will I change? Doubt it. Unless for some reason the only layout I can have is one of those small switching puzzles.

For the size layout I'm building to support the operations I want, DCC was the most economical choice. Also the wiring is so much simpler in DCC.
 
I don't know if this is rhetorical, or if you're really needing some ideas here.

But these are some small locos that are perfect, IMHO, for a small shortline.

Spectrum 0-6-0 tank switcher
MDC/Athearn 2-8-0 Old Timer
Spectrum 4-6-0 or 4-4-0

The 0-6-0 is the biggest of the locos I suggested. If it is too big, take a long look at the others. I have all 3 of the others in my stable, and they are rather robust for their size. To top it off, all are very smooth and quiet.

As to the OP's asking why DC or DCC, for me it was a matter of cost, as to why I went DCC. Will I change? Doubt it. Unless for some reason the only layout I can have is one of those small switching puzzles.

For the size layout I'm building to support the operations I want, DCC was the most economical choice. Also the wiring is so much simpler in DCC.

Thanks Carey,

No, I was not being rhetorical. But I probably don't mean steam era, more like transistion era. I will definitely get a Bachman Spectrum 2-8-0 at some point, but I want that to be the largest steam locomotive on the layout. I've heard good things about their new 2-6-0.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look into them also.

When I swap out era's on my layout, I will need to swap out rolling stock. That's not a big deal since I don't need much rolling stock for operations. Its swapping out the structures that will be more difficult for the layout. Some buildings can be pretty era specific.
 
Excellent! Since this is transition, you should also look at the Spectrum decapod. Its actually smaller than the 2-8-0.
 
There are some interesting parallels and similarities in how trains are made up of segments of varying multiples of units running on numerous different switchable routes......and the technology called packet switching, the secret magic that makes the internet, cell phones, and other modern systems work. Since DCC uses constant power to the track....then has the ability to individually address and control multiple locos on the same track at the same time....using digital control....I'm guessing this also may use packet switching? (Can any experts answer this?)

Anyway, I agree with someone who said he likes to listen to the normal DC setup to hear if there are any derailed wheels/trucks, etc.. Partly because I'm just getting started in model trains, and being interested in layout construction, switches, simple switch control, landscaping, scenery, trestle building, hand made structures, roadways/vehicles, and the diorama aspect, there is just so much more that seems to take priority over bells, whistles, and engine noises....for the for-see-able future.

I think it's interesting that DCC exists....and having been a computer student and hobbyist....can somewhat appreciate the inner workings of it......but too many other aspects of model railroading take precedence for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


There are some interesting parallels and similarities in how trains are made up of segments of varying multiples of units running on numerous different switchable routes......and the technology called packet switching, the secret magic that makes the internet, cell phones, and other modern systems work. Since DCC uses constant power to the track....then has the ability to individually address and control multiple locos on the same track at the same time....using digital control....I'm guessing this also may use packet switching? (Can any experts answer this?)

...

Railfan;

For info on the DCC Standards and Recommended Practices, might I suggest that you go here:

http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/standards_rps/DCCStds.html

This will have all the details. Just click on the PDF symbols, to open what you interested in. You must of course have Adobe Reader.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top