Search results

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. J

    So that's how they ballast layout track in Norway

    A poster on another forum posted a link to a great-looking layout by a Norwegian modeller who goes by the online name of “Jevistad.” Among other things, Jevistad's posts about his layout included this creative photo. I've posted more photos of his layout, and links, on my blog...
  2. J

    New M & M Sub. video with train sounds

    I added another video--took an old one and added sound. See it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5alJKb5RIjQ&list=UUgTSI-JZz7ZPVPf_ikfcspQ&index=1&feature=plcp John
  3. J

    New M & M Sub. video with train sounds

    Learn something new every day! Today I learned how to add actual train sounds to a video. (Putting music into a video wasn't hard, but finding appropriate train sounds and editing them to fit was new for me.) I added train sounds to a new video about a grain train of 40-foot boxcars on the...
  4. J

    A few photos from the CP Rail M & M Sub.

    Yes. Took an old Athearn tank car, painted it with primer and placed it in the engine servicing yard. John
  5. J

    A few photos from the CP Rail M & M Sub.

    I was going to watch the Broncos-Patriots last night, but it was clear pretty early on that there would be no Tebow miracle. So I decided to take some photos of the layout instead, experimenting with various intensities of light and wide angle options. The results are below. John Longhurst...
  6. J

    More photos of Pierre Dion's Quebec Sub. layout

    Here's my Christmas present . . . more photos of Pierre Dion's great CP Rail Quebec Subdivision layout. Find them at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/2011/12/more-pierre-dion-quebec-subdivision.html Hope everyone on the forum has a great Christmas! John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  7. J

    Photos of Pierre Dion's Quebec Subdivision

    I recently was able to contact Pierre Dion, and he gave me permission to post photos of his great HO scale CP Rail Quebec Subdivision layout from RMC on my blog. You can see them, along with other photos Pierre sent me, at...
  8. J

    Great Canadian Model Railroad: Ontario & Eastern

    I haven't posted here for awhile . . . want to let you know that I've posted info about the Ontario & Eastern, a great sectional layout set in the 1949-59 time period, on my blog. The layout, built by a group of friends to show a high-quality layout at train shows, lasted from 1987-2005...
  9. J

    Brian Elchlepp’s BC Rail Dawson Creek Sub.

    Some of you may recall Brian Elchlepp’s BC Rail Dawson Creek Sub., featured in Canadian Railway Modeller Train 11, Track 1. Brian dismantled the layout a few years ago. I've posted some photos and text about it on my blog as a bit of a tribute to his great modelling. You can find it at...
  10. J

    Riding the dome car on VIA Rail's The Canadian

    After many years of not riding a train in Canada, I took VIA Rail's The Canadian a week ago--spending most of the time in the dome car. I posted photos and thoughts about the trip on my blog at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/2011/07/riding-via-rails-canadian.html There's also a link to a...
  11. J

    Been working on my photography....

    Echoing what Bob said about depth of field . . . on some digital cameras you can get the highest F stop your digital camera provides by selecting A for Aperture Priority. John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  12. J

    The World is Flat(s)

    Since the CP Rail M & M Sub. ranges from 2 feet to 1 foot wide, I couldn't install many three-dimensional buildings--35 of the 50 structures on the layout were flats. The Walthers Hardwood Furniture Co. kit is one of them; I unravelled it to make this long flat (for an as-yet unnamed...
  13. J

    Most unusual place for a layout?

    What's the most unusual location you've seen for a layout? How about in a truck? That's what my friend Ian did. The long-distance trucker isn't home enough to build a layout in his house, so he built one in the cab of his truck. More photos and info about the layout on my blog at...
  14. J

    CPR SD40-2F #9020 Red Barn

    Nice! Great work on those models. John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  15. J

    Yards Big or Small, Let's see them!

    West end, Fort Frances yard on the CP Rail M & M Sub. East end. John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  16. J

    Happy 50th birthday, CN Wet Noodle!

    2011 is the 50th anniversary of the CN "wet noodle," one of the most recognizable logos in North America. (Well, in Canada, at least.) I've posted info about its creation (yes, it really was sketched on a napkin), including a photo of the original napkin. You can find it at...
  17. J

    Changes on the CP Rail M & M Sub.

    The New Year is a time to sweep out the old and bring in the new. I did a bit of that on the CP Rail Manitoba & Minnesota Sub. over the holidays. Moving a daughter downstairs meant basement renovations (and the loss of my office), and the need for more room for stuff. Down came the centre...
  18. J

    Photos of the Kicking Horse Pass layout

    There are a lot of great layouts in Canada, but one of the best, in my opinion, is the Kicking Horse Pass layout of Calgary. What makes this 24 by 42foot representation of the CPR's world-famous Spiral Tunnels all the more amazing is the the layout is portable. I was fortunate enough to...
  19. J

    Realistic (Fake) Building Interiors

    Those interiors that Ken mentioned are beautiful, but that's the opposite of what you would see on a typical sunny day. You would expect to see something that bright and well-lit if it was night (if you were looking into a brightly-lit interior). But that's not the case for most buildings during...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top