ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Since the CP Rail M & M Sub. ranges from 2 feet to 1 foot wide, I couldn't install many three-dimensional buildings--35 of the 50 structures on the layout were flats.
The Walthers Hardwood Furniture Co. kit is one of them; I unravelled it to make this long flat (for an as-yet unnamed industry).
On our HO layout, we've got 1 industry flat (poor choice of placement in retrospect, but it does add something to the long track to the enginehouse that's hidden behind the door) and a few N scale houses to force perspective nestled halfway into the backdrop. Most of our layout is scenery, though...on the layout I'm building (this time, N scale)I'll have a whack of them.
I have a grain elevator flat so far and plan to construct Walthers Merchant's Row 1 as a flat for a main street facing the main as it passes the station. Though I hate to cut this apart, it is the only option that will suit the area other than buying a bunch of other kits to cut up.
John, isn't that North Kildonan Publications?
Most of my buildngs are flats, great way to stretch that modeling dollar!
Here's an older pic back when I was trying to fit things together: