Recent content by rcduck

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. R

    Warning, Warning, Stupid Newbie Question!

    Thanks for the link, after a few hours running the ol' Bachman I realized the traction tires are shot. My oldest son has braces and I am going to try using his rubber bands to replace the traction tires. A temporary fix until I get a new loco.
  2. R

    Warning, Warning, Stupid Newbie Question!

    The wheels are spinning As soon as I am done laying all the track I will start to spend more money on quality locos and rolling stock. I have a very limited budget, my chief financial officer only allows $30 a week to be spent on this adventure. Still need some flex track, turnouts and...
  3. R

    Warning, Warning, Stupid Newbie Question!

    Hey Folks, I have been working on a simple HO layout for my son and I have a question. Most of my track is laid and I have a section that has a slight grade, 3% at most. This weekend we went to a train show here in CT and picked up a $15 Bachman Santa Fe loco. I was looking for a AHM C-line...
  4. R

    I need help ASAP please !

    Newbie here :p ... Dropper wires? Fishplate? I think I know but... Thanks in advance, Randy (newbie) Duck
  5. R

    New Member, New to the Hobbie. Layout Opinions Needed.

    Bruce, Explain that to a 5 year old. :D Looking back now I should have listened to my wife and started with a plywood layout under his bed. Don't tell her i said she was right, I will deny it till the day I die:p
  6. R

    New Member, New to the Hobbie. Layout Opinions Needed.

    Bruce, I would love to do a N scale layout. The problem is everything I have is HO scale, including my father in-laws trains that were given to my son for christmas. Expansion is an possibility later, that has been in the back of my mind since the initial basement cleaning. Switchsd to natural...
  7. R

    Benchwork: Plywood, foamboard or both?

    Pretty much... :rolleyes: Did I mention Im a newbie :D First layout. See here: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30629 Randy Duck
  8. R

    Benchwork: Plywood, foamboard or both?

    And now words of advice from a newbie :D ... Just finished my benchwork. I used a 2X4 outer frame with 2X3 bracing. Then I laid foam over the top of this thinking it would make it easier to wire (must have read it somewhere). Looking back now, I wish I did at least a 1/4" sub-base. Some of my...
  9. R

    New Member, New to the Hobbie. Layout Opinions Needed.

    Otis, No worries. Yea.. no luck on finding the 22" radius, so I bought flex track, wish me luck. Looking back now I can say it was a productive day (lost of photos on my phone) but WAY too stressed out the day of the show. We started at the Young building then the Stroh then to the BLC...
  10. R

    New Member, New to the Hobbie. Layout Opinions Needed.

    Thanks Steve, There is actually a local club meeting next Saturday. I will most likely attend. They are doing a how to on mountains. Good timing. Randy Duck
  11. R

    New Member, New to the Hobbie. Layout Opinions Needed.

    Y2k The program is called rail modelier, very easy to use. Only 1 drawback... mac only. Can only use it at work. Randy Duck
  12. R

    New Member, New to the Hobbie. Layout Opinions Needed.

    Carey, Thanks for the info, thats what I had in mind. Any one else do this? I'm assuming yes due to the mix of available locos out there. Otis, We took a drive by the freight yard, took some good pictures for weathering reference. I can see what you mean by beyond comprehension, by 2PM I was...
  13. R

    New Member, New to the Hobbie. Layout Opinions Needed.

    At big e... train overload :) Randy Duck
  14. R

    New Member, New to the Hobbie. Layout Opinions Needed.

    Tim, I have a 5 year old, he is the train nut, and a 14 year old. Both are good kids, They keep me busy, wish my teenager would spend more time with me but what teenager wants to hang out with dad. I don't think my little guy has 45 minutes in him yet, half hour is pushing his ability to focus...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top