New Member, New to the Hobbie. Layout Opinions Needed.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Otis,

No worries. Yea.. no luck on finding the 22" radius, so I bought flex track, wish me luck. Looking back now I can say it was a productive day (lost of photos on my phone) but WAY too stressed out the day of the show.

We started at the Young building then the Stroh then to the BLC. Spent way too much time in the First two buildings. We had to be on the road at 4 to be home in time for my Moms birthday party. We walked into the Mallory building a 4:15 ugh... finally bought some stuff, then ran back to the Young building to find a loco that my father in-law saw. :eek:AHHHH.... Run... Wait look!!! no we got to go... thats cool... did you see this?... On the road 4:45, called the wife she took it rather well, was actually able to relax on the way home. Late for Moms party (she didn't take it well). So Next year, 2 days. One for Jake one for Dad and Father in-law. Maybe we could meet up or even commute together.

Anyway... I might actually be laying some track tonight a mere 6 weeks since receiving the box-o-trains from Santa. I was informed this weekend that I tend to go overboard with things (I do). Wife wants trains running by Sunday. Again she expected a piece of plywood under his (twin) bed (NOT). Pics to follow.

Thanks for reading my rant.:):eek:

Randy Duck
 
Can you go any larger than 6x8? N scale would be ok, but HO it's kinda small.
Think future, you don't have to lay all the track at once, lay turnouts for additional spurs, sidings or other routes for the future.
 
Bruce, I would love to do a N scale layout. The problem is everything I have is HO scale, including my father in-laws trains that were given to my son for christmas. Expansion is an possibility later, that has been in the back of my mind since the initial basement cleaning. Switchsd to natural gas this year and need to get rid of my oil tank (7 months old).

Randy Duck
 


I would wait until that tank goes for two reasons;
1. The additional mess (dirt & dust) which you don't want,
2. You can then built a full table instead of adding on later. Faster, easier and less wasted wood & time. ;)
 
Bruce,

Explain that to a 5 year old. :D

Looking back now I should have listened to my wife and started with a plywood layout under his bed. Don't tell her i said she was right, I will deny it till the day I die:p
 
This coming weekend might be a good 'building' weekend, with the weather and all. Sunday is a tight deadline. All the best with the wife! A 6'x8' layout is hard to reach the middle of, without a long arm.

Regarding next year and meeting up, possibly, however being that I'm in NJ, it will depend a lot on the weather, etc. For me, its a 'once thru' all day show. I usually get to the BLC late in the day, and am burnt out. I usually start with Mallery. The two smaller buildings seem to have the large gauges, although I did find something in the one next to Mallery. By the 4-5th time I visit this show, I ought to have had enough practice, to know how to shorten the day, and still be productive. I'm hoping to get to Timonium in April or June of this year.
 
Not to worry about your 14 yr old, when my son was 14, he wanted nothing to do with the set up I was working on. He is now 24, we have torn down that old set, building a new, bigger set up, and he wants to be the designer and primary on the N-gauge 4'x6'.
 
Randy,
Anything new with your layout? I haven't made much progress at this point-lots of family and other stuff has kept me busy.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top