Warning, Warning, Stupid Newbie Question!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


rcduck

New Member
Hey Folks,

I have been working on a simple HO layout for my son and I have a question. Most of my track is laid and I have a section that has a slight grade, 3% at most. This weekend we went to a train show here in CT and picked up a $15 Bachman Santa Fe loco. I was looking for a AHM C-line diesel to replace the one my son got from Santa that I knocked on the floor, never ran very well but it was my Father in-laws.

The question that I have is, I don't remember the AHM having any issues with the grade but the Bachman can barely make it up the grade pulling more than 1 or 2 cars. When I am finally in the market for a quality loco, will a new locomotive make a differance or should I look at reducing the grade now while i'm still in a good place to do so.

Thanks

Randy Duck
 
There are a few places that have 3% grades in the US and Canada.

But it's really important to make the transistiion from flat to grade (top and bottom) very gradual. Otherwise you might find couplers and front ends snagging on the track - especially on longer cars.

So if you decide to revise your track, keep that in mind. Also remember that the combo of steep grades AND curves is a killer on pulling power.

Most modern HO locos over 100 bucks, or so, are good pullers these days. Anything before around year 2000 is suspect.

Others may comment on all this too. :)

.
 


How are you figuring your 3% grade?
It is a 3 inch rise in 100 inches of length, 1.5 inch rise in 50 inches length or 3/4 inch rise in 25 inches length.

How well do your freight cars roll? Are they too heavy or dragging a little?
How much throttle does it take to get over the hump?

With a single engine, you may need a lengthy flat spot to get a run at the grade.
IMHO.:D
 
When I am finally in the market for a quality loco, will a new locomotive make a differance or should I look at reducing the grade now while i'm still in a good place to do so.
There was another thread on this exact same issue where the person had 4% grades. Let me see if I can find it.

The spoiler of that thread is that, "yes, a quality locomotive made all the difference in the world".
 
You will find steam engines have less room inside the shell and so have less weight so they will spin wheels very easy. Open them up and see if there is anywhere you can add additional weight over the drive wheels.
 
For $15, you probably have one of the older Bachmanns with the pancake motor. These locos do not have good pulling ability. They're badly under weighted. There really is no good way to add weight to them as the motor is weak. You could probably add an ounce but I would even be leery of that due to the motor.

Go on and bite the bullet, and get something from Atlas or Athearn. Even used they will run and pull way better than the older Bachmann. Even Bachmann's latest diesels are way better than the one you got.
 
Are the wheels slipping or just sitting still while the motor revs?

The wheels are spinning

How are you figuring your 3% grade?
It is a 3 inch rise in 100 inches of length, 1.5 inch rise in 50 inches length or 3/4 inch rise in 25 inches length.

3/4 inch rise in 25 inches length.

How well do your freight cars roll? Are they too heavy or dragging a little?
How much throttle does it take to get over the hump?

They are cheap older freight cars too light but probably dragging. Full throttle!!

With a single engine, you may need a lengthy flat spot to get a run at the grade.
IMHO.:D

There was another thread on this exact same issue where the person had 4% grades. Let me see if I can find it.

The spoiler of that thread is that, "yes, a quality locomotive made all the difference in the world".

For $15, you probably have one of the older Bachmanns with the pancake motor. These locos do not have good pulling ability. They're badly under weighted. There really is no good way to add weight to them as the motor is weak. You could probably add an ounce but I would even be leery of that due to the motor.

I think that is what I have, the only reason I bought it is because my son liked the colors! :rolleyes:

Go on and bite the bullet, and get something from Atlas or Athearn. Even used they will run and pull way better than the older Bachmann. Even Bachmann's latest diesels are way better than the one you got.

As soon as I am done laying all the track I will start to spend more money on quality locos and rolling stock. I have a very limited budget, my chief financial officer only allows $30 a week to be spent on this adventure. Still need some flex track, turnouts and tortoise switching machines before I can save up for some Locos. I really have my eye on a CSX Intermountain HO 49722-07 GE ES44DC, CSX #5270.

Thank you guys for all your help
 


Say RCDuck,
You said:They are cheap older freight cars too light but probably dragging. Full throttle!!

Very possibly, being older cars, if they have the sharp flanged wheels - Cookie Cuter flanges, those do ad a considerable amount of drag, I've witnessed this when working with a buddy while helping him build his layout as his grades are about the same too!

The simple solution would be to get some Kadee metal freight wheels to replace the older wheels with, if that is the problem. This metal freight wheels all have the RP-25 contour, which has a rounded )---( where the wheel treads meet the rail which makes them really free rolling as well as being self-centering!

I'm changing my smooth backed Kadee wheels out to Ribbed Back wheels, to more correctly fit my turn of the Century - 1890 to 1910 era RR, so I'll have at least 48 to 72 pair available shortly and you can purchase what you need and the price will be at least half of new ones.

Send me a PM, ok?
 
The question that I have is, I don't remember the AHM having any issues with the grade but the Bachman can barely make it up the grade pulling more than 1 or 2 cars. When I am finally in the market for a quality loco, will a new locomotive make a differance or should I look at reducing the grade now while i'm still in a good place to do so.
Here is the link to the thread I was talking about. Fellow had 5% grades. Got a new loco that climbed them like a champ.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30832
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top