GMTrainNut
Member
No, I haven't done any testing yet, I've been so absorbed in track planning and getting the layout room ready. But I really want to use foam on top of plywood, makes for sub-grade scenery so easy.
Perhaps the experience I had with it was on a layout where the foam was not secured enough to the plywood. All I can say is as a train rolled by at speed there was a "whooshing" sound, and it competed with all the usual ambient layout noises. I know I said that the layout was foam over ply, but I can't confirm that the entire layout was built that way. Perhaps sections of it were simply foam sheets in an open grid framework?
Sorry if I misled anyone or took the topic in an errant direction.
Perhaps the experience I had with it was on a layout where the foam was not secured enough to the plywood. All I can say is as a train rolled by at speed there was a "whooshing" sound, and it competed with all the usual ambient layout noises. I know I said that the layout was foam over ply, but I can't confirm that the entire layout was built that way. Perhaps sections of it were simply foam sheets in an open grid framework?
Sorry if I misled anyone or took the topic in an errant direction.
