Recent content by BDM

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


  1. B

    Beginner Question: EZ Track or not?

    Flex track is where it's at... that on a cork roadbed, easy as pie to install. That said, I had very bad luck with the Micro Engineering flex track, as the ties were so tight on the rail that I couldn't get a good arc out of it... ended up throwing it aside and using some Atlas Super flex that...
  2. B

    Can't change the address on my SD70ACe

    I'll consider it, and will probably change that tonight. I'm leery of changing anything that has to do with the address right now since it took so much to get it to work.... I had done the exact same process before, and it didn't take.... only thing I can think of that I did different was to...
  3. B

    Can't change the address on my SD70ACe

    Update!! After much irritation over the last couple of days with this, I worked with it again tonight and got it to work. Programmed it by hand modifying each of the CV variables based on the extended number I wanted to use, modified CV 29 to a setting of 38 based on an online CV calculator I...
  4. B

    Can't change the address on my SD70ACe

    Thanks for the help guys... I'm at a complete loss here... This is my first DCC system, but I'm not new to computers by any means, and that's essentially all this is. That said, I've tried all the options listed here... programmed the individual CV's, and I can get CV 17 and CV 29 to program...
  5. B

    Can't change the address on my SD70ACe

    I'm going to do that tonight. I hadn't done it yet because most of the time when you call someone in a situation like this, it comes back to "buy more of x so y will work".... Was hoping someone else here had already ran into this situation and could tell me how they fixed it.
  6. B

    Can't change the address on my SD70ACe

    With the Zephyr, it's supposed to be simply selecting the engine to change, pressing program, then loco to select either ad2 or ad4 (short or long address), then the number (in this case, the loco number 8334), then cv-wr to write the value, then exit and cycle power. I think I've tried that...
  7. B

    Can't change the address on my SD70ACe

    I bought a Genesis SD70ACe at a train show a couple weeks ago... I love the engine, but no matter what I try, I cannot get it to change the address of the engine. I can modify CV's, but can't change the address. Using a Digitrax Zephyr Xtra. Have tried direct and ops modes, can't get either...
  8. B

    I need help lgb

    Motor problem. It's stalling out because it's old and dirty would be my guess. The electrical contacts in the motor are probably corroded or have so much carbon buildup that it creates a very high amount of resistance, hence dropping your transformer voltage and overheating the engine. my .02
  9. B

    Adapting for myself HO 4x8

    I'm working on laying out a 4' x 9.5' (it's the room I have at the moment) layout myself, and I'm trying desperately to keep the mainline radii at 22 inches.
  10. B

    Introduction.

    Ha! I think that's the first time I've heard a hobby compared to a STD..... however accurate the comparison might be... :)
  11. B

    New Member

    Welcome to the forum Fred. I just joined last night....
  12. B

    Introduction.

    Yeah, I did the same thing as a boy and young man... lost interest, then went back to it, then lost interest again, etc.... But, last time I was at my Dad's with my boys, we spent 3 hours in the attic working on the trains, and it seemed like we were only up there 5 minutes. That got the fire...
  13. B

    Introduction.

    Hello all! My name is Matt, and I joined the forum because I'm just getting back into the hobby... My dad has been a model railroad enthusiast for years, but I had gotten out of it after moving away from home. I'm now older (32) and have two boys of my own who love grandpas trains... So, looks...




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top