Your favorite locomotive?

This has probably been done before but I thought it would be interesting to hear what is your favorite locomotive and why.

Mine would be the SD-35 ; like the size and it was the first six axle locomotive to really get the Class I's heavily interested in six axle power because of its turbocharged 2,500 horse 567D3A Prime mover.

A close second would have to be the GP7/9 because of the number of them produced and their longevity of service.

The below picture is of a Chessie SD-35 in the B&O livery probably circa late 70's or early 80's would be my guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Great topic.....and hard to keep it to one.....but mine is the EMD FT because it was one of the very first diesel electrics, was eventually used by so many railroads, has interesting history, and the B-unit has that unique rear overhang behind the rear truck.

Began my locomotive collection with two intermountain FT's, a Boston-Maine and the EMD demonstrator. Then I added a Microtrains FT, Reading RR. Hoping to end up with many more roads.

For passenger engines it has to be the EMD E5. Built for the CB&Q, they were similar to their predecessors but had a polished stainless steel exterior to match the Zephyrs that made them look like they were chromed!

For freight engines it has to be the EMD GP7 or its more "well developed" cousin the SD7. (or 9's) They were designed to be regarded as ugly, but turned out to be beautiful.

And the sound of those 2-stroke 567 engines being put in Run 8..................well there's been nothing to match the "music" that they made.

Thanks Bob for making me aware of the E5's. Funny how I never thought of looking for them....though I have an old atlas E6 and E7 too. I always wondered about those shark nose front ends. Now I know more about them.

I love 4-axle diesels. Right now my favorites are GP9's and FP7's. I've always loved seeing a long string of 4-axle diesels pulling a heavy load up a grade. Now they do it with just a few big diesels.

I'm a big fan of the PA's, specifically the D&RGW Aspen Leaf scheme. Like the CB&Q E5s Bob mentioned, these were painted silver for the California Zephyr passenger service.

I would have to say I am a switcher fan. I like all of them more or less but the ones that really turn my crank are the SW series with twin CN style spark-arrested stacks and and the newer MP15s. 2 or 3 or 4 of them in consist is a very cool sight.

I am slo a huge fan of and absolutely adore the GMD-1 in either B-B or A-1-A configs. The Northern Alberta ones are my favourites of these as they ran short hood forward as opposed to CN who ran their long nose forward and had one of the most attractive paint schemes of the day.

Lately I have fallen for the NRE Genset 3G series and have added two ex CSX ones to my freelance railway for eventual patching and/or repainting for regular road switching service.

I have a soft spot for the HR616, myself. Angular, sharp corners, and all. Too bad they never lived up to the 'HR' part.

I love the New York Central J1-e Hudson. (not that it's N-scale) but on my wish list now is the Lionel Vision Line one. It is the most advanced model train ever. Whistle steam, automatic swinging bell, ashpan glow, opening firebox doors, and Legacy Railsounds.

6-11209_vision-hudson-black-5344.jpg

ProductDetail.cfm

I too am a fan of the F units, but I like almost anything that's art deco and/or streamlined. Of the more modern engines my favorite is the EMD F45. They almost look like a longer, more angular F unit really.

I too am a fan of the F units, but I like almost anything that's art deco and/or streamlined. Of the more modern engines my favorite is the EMD F45. They almost look like a longer, more angular F unit really.

I have to agree with you on that one as far as aesthetics the F/FP45 was one of the most appealing designs ever built.

Early Photo Of ATSF #1792 Mallet In San Maino On The "New" JJJ&E

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An early color photo of a ATSF #1792 articulated Mallet on the mainline in the center of San Marino. This is a good photo of the corrugated roof of the "Idaho Hotel", one of the "signature" buildings on the "new" JJJ&E.

401215117.jpg

[/FONT]

Your Favorite Locomotive

My favorite is the Alco RS-3. It was the dominant diesel when I was growing up near the Boston & Maine. I have about a dozen of them on my HO layout. They are mostly older Atlas and Kato units that I have converted to DCC.

Dave

All time favorite is the GP40-2. It was the first loco I remember seeing on the old RF&P. But I do like the SW switchers, F's & E's, GP30, SD40-2, RS3's when it comes to diesels. Then there is the N&W A, J and y6b class, Berkshires, B&O EM-1, Northern's, Mountains and who can leave out the Big Boy.

favorite loco?

As an alco fan, I've got to go with the C-420 as number 1, the RS 3 is next and of the modern stuff, I love the SD-40-2. The alcos all have their own unique sound, and I can still listen to them on the Apache RR in ARIZONA.
After converting N scale lifelike C-424's with an old MP 420 shell, Atlas has made the C-420 in N scale, and even in the Apache RR livery. I own several of these, and smile all day long running mine.
Steam would have to be the 2-8-8-2.:D:D:););)

Back